PDA

View Full Version : So reading between the lines of Wenger’s comments I assume that Ospina said he’d only

Monty92
09-14-2016, 10:22 AM
stay if he got to play in the Champions League/domestic cup games.

Do we think this applies to the latter stages, too? Or perhaps most likely, Wenger said that will depend on his form?

I don’t feel particularly strongly either way, but it does seem a strange trade off between having an inferior second choice goalie and potentially not playing our strongest goalkeeper in some of the most important games in the club’s history.

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 10:27 AM

Do we think this applies to the latter stages, too? Or perhaps most likely, Wenger said that will depend on his form?

I don’t feel particularly strongly either way, but it does seem a strange trade off between having an inferior second choice goalie and potentially not playing our strongest goalkeeper in some of the most important games in the club’s history.
We don't get beyond the last 16 so it's a moot point. Hopes this helps

Pat Vegas
09-14-2016, 10:29 AM

I actually think Ospina is very good. He made some weird errors last season but all keepers do it. Cech has had his share of cock ups.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 10:32 AM
We don't get beyond the last 16 so it's a moot point. Hopes this helps

We might. We did once or twice and that was pre-war chest, so why not again, imo.

Pat Vegas
09-14-2016, 10:33 AM
We might. We did once or twice and that was pre-war chest, so why not again, imo.
They started fixing the draw after the group stage in the past 5 years or so.

Plus it doesn't help that we usually lose the tie in the first game.

SWv2
09-14-2016, 10:43 AM

What did Wenger say then?

Monty92
09-14-2016, 10:57 AM
What did Wenger say then?

Something like "If you want two world class goalkeepers you need to play them both"

Pat Vegas
09-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Something like "If you want two world class goalkeepers you need to play them both"

Explains why we didn't start with a proper striker yesterday then.

SWv2
09-14-2016, 11:12 AM

And from that you extrapolated a scenario where Ospina, who perhaps thinking about leaving the club, agreed to stay only if played in CL and domestic cup games.

Then you teased it further to ask if his place would be retained if we were to progress to the final, perhaps the most important games in the club history.

You’re an imbecile and I am being both generous and polite here as despite you being an imbecile it is difficult to really hate you.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 11:26 AM
And from that you extrapolated a scenario where Ospina, who perhaps thinking about leaving the club, agreed to stay only if played in CL and domestic cup games.

Then you teased it further to ask if his place would be retained if we were to progress to the final, perhaps the most important games in the club history.

You’re an imbecile and I am being both generous and polite here as despite you being an imbecile it is difficult to really hate you.

What do you think he meant by it? Do we not have recent examples of our second choice keepesr playing in finals?

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 11:39 AM

We live in hope. I thought his comments were quite clear in saying that he had the right to change this "policy" and pick the goalkeeper he sees more fitting for the occasion. I guess he would also have told Cech that - or maybe he likes stringing him along

SWv2
09-14-2016, 11:46 AM
What do you think he meant by it? Do we not have recent examples of our second choice keepesr playing in finals?

Yes Ospina may very well be a cup keeper, from memory was he not chosen in one such game last year (cannot recall if it was the opener) but soon jettisoned in European matches.

Perhaps he just chose this game to give Ospina a run, we both know and appreciate that squad players must be used at a point in a season else when they are needed in an emergency they may not be ‘ready’. Goalkeeper aside there was 1-2 selections when the team was announced that surely had most interested viewers scratching their heads, Xhaka in particular, the continued absence from the starting 11 of Giroud perhaps another.

How on earth you twisted this to a demand is beyond me.

And let’s be perfectly clear here, if he was assigned the status of cup keeper the decision would be 100% that of Wenger and not in any way influenced by demands or otherwise of Ospina.

Tony C
09-14-2016, 01:14 PM
Not that much between the paid of them imo

Hardly a Lehmann vs Stuart Taylor scenario.

Both are excellent on their day but both are prone to mistakes.

Cech has vaster PL experience so he plays in these games and gets rested for others given he's got a brain injury.

Monty92
09-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Yes Ospina may very well be a cup keeper, from memory was he not chosen in one such game last year (cannot recall if it was the opener) but soon jettisoned in European matches.

Perhaps he just chose this game to give Ospina a run, we both know and appreciate that squad players must be used at a point in a season else when they are needed in an emergency they may not be ‘ready’. Goalkeeper aside there was 1-2 selections when the team was announced that surely had most interested viewers scratching their heads, Xhaka in particular, the continued absence from the starting 11 of Giroud perhaps another.

How on earth you twisted this to a demand is beyond me.

And let’s be perfectly clear here, if he was assigned the status of cup keeper the decision would be 100% that of Wenger and not in any way influenced by demands or otherwise of Ospina.

You're as naive as a big **** off black african defender

SWv2
09-15-2016, 08:17 AM
You're as naive as a big **** off black african defender

Hold on, you think Wenger would allow himself and his team selection to be dictated to by a second choice goalkeeper?

You're more stupid than I previously thought.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 08:23 AM
Hold on, you think Wenger would allow himself and his team selection to be dictated to by a second choice goalkeeper?

You're more stupid than I previously thought.

Morning - I see you've started the day well. Speaking of stupid, the eir commentary last night. Gary ****ing Breen - a professional footballer for 20 ****ing years and he didn't know that you can't give a free kick/penalty when the ball was out of play. Commentator was just as bad - still going on about it about 10 minutes later. Jesus indeed wept

Sir C
09-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Morning - I see you've started the day well. Speaking of stupid, the eir commentary last night. Gary ****ing Breen - a professional footballer for 20 ****ing years and he didn't know that you can't give a free kick/penalty when the ball was out of play. Commentator was just as bad - still going on about it about 10 minutes later. Jesus indeed wept

You get Oirish telly in the Vaterland la? Are they ganging up opn us again? Like last time :-(

Monty92
09-15-2016, 08:31 AM
We live in hope. I thought his comments were quite clear in saying that he had the right to change this "policy" and pick the goalkeeper he sees more fitting for the occasion. I guess he would also have told Cech that - or maybe he likes stringing him along

But if Ospina continues t play competently in the group games and there's no more Olympiakos style howlers, would you not be surprised if he doesn't also start in the knock-out phases? Isn't the way Wenger dealt with the same situation in the FA Cup (and in the case of Fabianski, staying loyal to a much more maligned second string keeper than Ospina) an indication of what he will do again?

In other words, is it not likely that Wenger has assured Ospina that he will remain our Champions League goalie subject to form?

SWv2
09-15-2016, 08:34 AM

My morning has started very well thank you. Coffee and a banana. Then stuck in ******* traffic because Dublin Bus are on strike and the resultant chaos that brings to the roads. I hope they are all sacked.

I assume the Eir you refer to is the station previously referred to as Setanta??

SWv2
09-15-2016, 08:37 AM
You get Oirish telly in the Vaterland la? Are they ganging up opn us again? Like last time :-(

We're all European brothers.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 08:45 AM
My morning has started very well thank you. Coffee and a banana. Then stuck in ******* traffic because Dublin Bus are on strike and the resultant chaos that brings to the roads. I hope they are all sacked.

I assume the Eir you refer to is the station previously referred to as Setanta??

It would appear so - it's of the same quality

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 08:46 AM
But if Ospina continues t play competently in the group games and there's no more Olympiakos style howlers, would you not be surprised if he doesn't also start in the knock-out phases? Isn't the way Wenger dealt with the same situation in the FA Cup (and in the case of Fabianski, staying loyal to a much more maligned second string keeper than Ospina) an indication of what he will do again?

In other words, is it not likely that Wenger has assured Ospina that he will remain our Champions League goalie subject to form?
Not really, no.

Burney
09-15-2016, 08:46 AM
We're all European brothers.

I'm fúcking well not.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Irish, German, French, Singaporean. I think I watched the Southampton game on Portuguese TV. All piss in the same pot nth

Burney
09-15-2016, 08:48 AM
Irish, German, French, Singaporean. I think I watched the Southampton game on Portuguese TV. All piss in the same pot nth

I find something very funny about people in foreign parts watching teams like Southampton and Watford. :hehe:

SWv2
09-15-2016, 08:55 AM
It would appear so - it's of the same quality

I have it this year for the first time as both it and BT Sports were given for free to existing Eir/Eircom broadband account holders.

Tremendous so far as I now have Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Eir also now do saturday 3pm matches for Irish (and presumably German) consumption.

Watched Bayern last friday night. Douglas Costa, ooof.

Luis Anaconda
09-15-2016, 09:05 AM
I have it this year for the first time as both it and BT Sports were given for free to existing Eir/Eircom broadband account holders.

Tremendous so far as I now have Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Eir also now do saturday 3pm matches for Irish (and presumably German) consumption.

Watched Bayern last friday night. Douglas Costa, ooof.

All very confusing over here, Sky Deutschland has lost the Premier League rights to some streaming company, but the 3pm kick offs we get here are on Irish Sky.

And yes Costa - ooof indeed

Ash
09-15-2016, 10:03 AM

Perhaps you should be calling for the sacking of the Department of Transport and Dublin Bus management, my friend, whose intransigence is responsible for this regrettable but necessary industrial action.

Can't you get a tube instead?

Mo Britain less Europe
09-15-2016, 10:17 AM
As funny as people here watching Vallecano (sic) or Troyes or Rot Weiss Essen.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Perhaps you should be calling for the sacking of the Department of Transport and Dublin Bus management, my friend, whose intransigence is responsible for this regrettable but necessary industrial action.

Can't you get a tube instead?

Your knowledge of the intricacies of this particular industrial dispute impresses me but is of little shock.

I have a simple view on these things really. If it inconveniences me then sack them, if not then carry on. They are complaining (partly) because they have not have a salary increase in 8 years, well nor have I but I don't go on strike, I don't even phone in sick.

In respect of Tube no but yes. By “tube” I am assuming you mean some kind of mechanised non-bus travel facility. Having driven to a certain point I then get the LUAS which is an over ground train, some say Tram but I do not agree with this.

LUAS means speed in Irish just in case you were unaware of this and pondering the genesis of the name.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 10:36 AM
As funny as people here watching Vallecano (sic) or Troyes or Rot Weiss Essen.

Or Mainz v Hoffenheim.

:-\

Ash
09-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Your knowledge of the intricacies of this particular industrial dispute impresses me but is of little shock.

I have a simple view on these things really. If it inconveniences me then sack them, if not then carry on. They are complaining (partly) because they have not have a salary increase in 8 years, well nor have I but I don't go on strike, I don't even phone in sick.

In respect of Tube no but yes. By “tube” I am assuming you mean some kind of mechanised non-bus travel facility. Having driven to a certain point I then get the LUAS which is an over ground train, some say Tram but I do not agree with this.

LUAS means speed in Irish just in case you were unaware of this and pondering the genesis of the name.

You can thank the EU for the 8 years of austerity. As an individual your capacity for improving your lot by strike action is rather limited, hence the role of the collective in such matters. Were such options available to you, you might have a different view.

How far is it to the station? Perhaps you could consider moving to Dublin to make the commute a little easier.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 11:11 AM
You can thank the EU for the 8 years of austerity. As an individual your capacity for improving your lot by strike action is rather limited, hence the role of the collective in such matters. Were such options available to you, you might have a different view.

How far is it to the station? Perhaps you could consider moving to Dublin to make the commute a little easier.

I do live in Dublin you cheeky punk.

LUAS only covers certain areas so in the absence of a designated stop in Dublin 16 I drive the short distance to Dublin 14 and begin that leg of my journey from there. I alight at St Stephens Green which is roughly 4 minutes from my office.

It is a pleasant journey as it allows me to gather my thoughts for the day while enjoying some music. Future Sound of London today.

It can be funny sometimes when a person complains or harumphs about the crowded train. They have clearly never done the Piccadilly Line from Arsenal at 8:15am.

Ash
09-15-2016, 11:44 AM
LUAS only covers certain areas so in the absence of a designated stop in Dublin 16 I drive the short distance to Dublin 14 and begin that leg of my journey from there. I alight at St Stephens Green which is roughly 4 minutes from my office.

What I'm getting at here is that if you walked the 'short distance' instead of driving it, then no automobile congestion blues, no parking issues, just fresh air and gentle exercise. And you would also be able to claim solidarity with the bus drivers in their righteous struggle without wishing an end to their livelihoods.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 12:00 PM
What I'm getting at here is that if you walked the 'short distance' instead of driving it, then no automobile congestion blues, no parking issues, just fresh air and gentle exercise. And you would also be able to claim solidarity with the bus drivers in their righteous struggle without wishing an end to their livelihoods.

I drive as I have to drop my two children, one of whom you met in the pub, to their appointed pre-school thing on 3 days per week. As working parents this is a lamentable element of modern life.

And for your information the "short distance" is apparently 11k which has shocked me. Quite frankly, and with no offence, you can stick your walking up your hole. 22k a day is Olympic ****.

Ash
09-15-2016, 12:04 PM
I drive as I have to drop my two children, one of whom you met in the pub, to their appointed pre-school thing on 3 days per week. As working parents this is a lamentable element of modern life.

And for your information the "short distance" is apparently 11k which has shocked me. Quite frankly, and with no offence, you can stick your walking up your hole. 22k a day is Olympic ****.

Oh, fair enough on all counts. I would never describe 11 urban kilometres as a short distance, though.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Oh, fair enough on all counts. I would never describe 11 urban kilometres as a short distance, though.

I must admit that the AA calculation at 11k has knocked me back.

Sure it's just up the Grange Road and round by Nutgrove.

Lar d'Arse
09-15-2016, 01:43 PM
I must admit that the AA calculation at 11k has knocked me back.

Sure it's just up the Grange Road and round by Nutgrove.

11K - surely you jest? Does the AA take your route or suggest you take some mad route via the M50.

SWv2
09-15-2016, 01:51 PM
11K - surely you jest? Does the AA take your route or suggest you take some mad route via the M50.

Ah yes, indeed the ever helpful route planner has taken me onto the M50 and off at Junction 13/ Dundrum.

If I change it to non-motorway it is 9k.

Of course us locals just nip through suburbia.

Any games planned??

Lar d'Arse
09-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Basel in the Big Cup - then Swansea in the League. Yourself?

Ash
09-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Basel in the Big Cup - then Swansea in the League. Yourself?

Excellent. I look forward to buying you a pint. :thumbup: