PDA

View Full Version : Well that was exciting, wasn't it? It feels like the season has started now.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Young Alex Iwobi is going to be quite the player. Absolutely unfazed by the occasion and could even have won it.

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Young Alex Iwobi is going to be quite the player. Absolutely unfazed by the occasion and could even have won it.

Wonderful with the ball, isn't he? Left our Spanish left back rather exposed without it but he's only young.

According to the Times, amongst others, we were 'lucky'. I've never understood the view that if you win a game because a striker plays a blinder it makes you the better team. But if you win a game because of your keeper, you're 'lucky'.

Bizarre.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Wonderful with the ball, isn't he? Left our Spanish left back rather exposed without it but he's only young.

According to the Times, amongst others, we were 'lucky'. I've never understood the view that if you win a game because a striker plays a blinder it makes you the better team. But if you win a game because of your keeper, you're 'lucky'.

Bizarre.

Yes, the keeper is there for a reason, and had Almunia been in goal last night and conceded 6, Wenger would have been battered for it. :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Bizarre.
Very true - a wise man on here said about Cavani (possibly PSRB, maybe SW) that he misses 4 out 5 chances, which was an accurate prediction of his performance. If he does this on regular occasions we are hardly lucky if he does it against us too. Speaking of the Times can I point out - though I think I can mention it before - what an ignorant **** Tony Cascarino is? Thank you

His "analysis" of the game is just a character assassination of young Alex and an equally obnoxious and wrongheaded slagging of Saint Santi (who was awful last night for the first half but to say he is hopeless in the position he plays is beyond ludicrous)

SWv2
09-14-2016, 08:54 AM

Bizarre.

What about fortunate then, instead of lucky.

Lucky does suggest the entire end result was something which occurred beyond our control, which is untrue. I do feel however we were somewhat fortunate that Cavani continued in the same vein as he has done almost every time I have seen him play for PSG.

Ultimately the point was deserved as we scored 1 and they scored 1.

Makes today a very different day.

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 08:54 AM
Yes, the keeper is there for a reason, and had Almunia been in goal last night and conceded 6, Wenger would have been battered for it. :shrug:
I can understand the disappointment for certain writers - the decision to play Ospina instead of Cech basically meant they could write their article beforehand and what a catastrophe that was. Rather shown up by Ospina being excellent

SWv2
09-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Very true - a wise man on here said about Cavani (possibly PSRB, maybe SW) that he misses 4 out 5 chances, which was an accurate prediction of his performance. If he does this on regular occasions we are hardly lucky if he does it against us too. Speaking of the Times can I point out - though I think I can mention it before - what an ignorant **** Tony Cascarino is? Thank you

His "analysis" of the game is just a character assassination of young Alex and an equally obnoxious and wrongheaded slagging of Saint Santi (who was awful last night for the first half but to say he is hopeless in the position he plays is beyond ludicrous)

Last night was my first ever CL game on BT Sports and in turn my introduction to Owen Hargreaves.

What a bell-end.

SWv2
09-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Very true - a wise man on here said about Cavani (possibly PSRB, maybe SW) that he misses 4 out 5 chances, which was an accurate prediction of his performance.

I thank you.

"Indeed, potentially a superb midfield with him, Verrati and Matuidi. Mind you recent CL exposure to them suggests Cavani will miss 4 chances out of 5 so we’re good for a draw. "

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 09:15 AM
I thank you.

"Indeed, potentially a superb midfield with him, Verrati and Matuidi. Mind you recent CL exposure to them suggests Cavani will miss 4 chances out of 5 so we’re good for a draw. "
Ah yes - fine prediction, sir

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Last night was my first ever CL game on BT Sports and in turn my introduction to Owen Hargreaves.

What a bell-end.
You poor thing - we had eir coverage - Pat Nevin as co-commentator who was both very good (talking about attackers) and banal (mostly on defending). On the whole one of the better guys though. Kevin Campbell and Kenny Cunningham in the studio didn't add much though

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 09:28 AM

Yes, I read that crap as well. I liked him pointing out that Santi isn't a holding midfielder. Which is true. And probably the reason we don't play him as one. I thought Santi was much better second half.

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 09:31 AM
I can understand the disappointment for certain writers - the decision to play Ospina instead of Cech basically meant they could write their article beforehand and what a catastrophe that was. Rather shown up by Ospina being excellent

One of the journo c*nts I read this morning pointed out that while Ospina had played well and vindicated Wenger's decision, the jury was still out due to a poor clearance in the second half.

Genius :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 09:42 AM
One of the journo c*nts I read this morning pointed out that while Ospina had played well and vindicated Wenger's decision, the jury was still out due to a poor clearance in the second half.

Jesus wept - as if no other goalkeeper ever has hit a poor clearance. I wonder what dear old Peter would have to say on this matter. Loved Almunia, hated Ospina - and claimed to be an expert on goalkeepers

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Jesus wept - as if no other goalkeeper ever has hit a poor clearance. I wonder what dear old Peter would have to say on this matter. Loved Almunia, hated Ospina - and claimed to be an expert on goalkeepers

Ah, that was his name. He was the chap that when we had Almunia and Fabianski and were rumoured to be bidding for Schwarzer, told us that Fabianski was sh1t, Schwarzer was old sh1t and that Almunia was much better than either of them and the worst case scenario was that we ended up with Fabianski and Schwarzer? That would be the Fabianski who is first choice at Swansea, the Schwarzer who until last season was the backup keeper at Chelsea and the Almunia who went on loan to West Ham and ended up at Watford before retiring?

Is Peter planning on making a comeback?

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Ah, that was his name. He was the chap that when we had Almunia and Fabianski and were rumoured to be bidding for Schwarzer, told us that Fabianski was sh1t, Schwarzer was old sh1t and that Almunia was much better than either of them and the worst case scenario was that we ended up with Fabianski and Schwarzer? That would be the Fabianski who is first choice at Swansea, the Schwarzer who until last season was the backup keeper at Chelsea and the Almunia who went on loan to West Ham and ended up at Watford before retiring?

Is Peter planning on making a comeback?
I hope so - I liked Peter. Schwarzer was actually at Leicester last season so "won" the title with two different clubs in consecutive years.
I always liked Fabianski - glad he's gone on to prove himself a top Premier League keeper

Burney
09-14-2016, 10:04 AM

Actually I can't help but admire someone who stuck to the line that Almunia was good in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. :hehe: Also, I liked Peter. Barring his unfortunate Springsteen obsession, he's a good chap. And it's not as though I can't overlook that particular fault in people.

Sir C
09-14-2016, 10:07 AM
I hope so - I liked Peter. Schwarzer was actually at Leicester last season so "won" the title with two different clubs in consecutive years.
I always liked Fabianski - glad he's gone on to prove himself a top Premier League keeper

Peter is a fine young man with dubious tastes in politics and goalkeepers but an unquestionably excellent ear for music.

I actually kept an eye out for him in the crowd when I saw Springsteen earlier this year. :rolleyes:

Burney
09-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Peter is a fine young man with dubious tastes in politics and goalkeepers but an unquestionably excellent ear for music.

I actually kept an eye out for him in the crowd when I saw Springsteen earlier this year. :rolleyes:

Last time I conversed with him on here was when Corbyn had just been elected. He was, to say the least, unimpressed. So much so that I didn't really have the heart to mock him. I sort of sympathised. :-\

Sir C
09-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Last time I conversed with him on here was when Corbyn had just been elected. He was, to say the least, unimpressed. So much so that I didn't really have the heart to mock him. I sort of sympathised. :-\

Yes, a leftie, but a pragmatical type, at least.

Strange Rover fixation, of course.

Burney
09-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Yes, a leftie, but a pragmatical type, at least.

Strange Rover fixation, of course.

Unlike so many lefties, he was fairly amusing about the thing. Although he did go a bit po-faced that time we were mocking Mexicans.

Pat Vegas
09-14-2016, 10:29 AM

I like the way he wears his socks. He reminds me of a player of the past but can't think who.

Burney
09-14-2016, 10:37 AM
I like the way he wears his socks. He reminds me of a player of the past but can't think who.

I miss players who used to play with their socks rolled around their ankles and no shinpads. It was always a way of telling who the maverick talent on any given team was.

PSRB
09-14-2016, 11:29 AM

Henry Winter gave Mustafi a "2", be very interested to see what he gave Sunderland CB's who allowed Lukaku 6 clear cut chances on Monday

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Henry Winter gave Mustafi a "2", be very interested to see what he gave Sunderland CB's who allowed Lukaku 6 clear cut chances on Monday
I won't even bother reading Winter on Arsenal anymore - the man is a grade a **** with an axe to grind against Wenger for some reason*. Incredibly unprofessional imo. In his season preview he went on about 7 teams had a chance to win the league - had something positive to say about all teams except one. So Henry, if you think we are capable of winning the league, why do you constantly slate Wenger and have nothing good to say about the team. He is also a smarmy ****

*I say this from a well-established position of not being in the "all the media hate us" club. This man is a genuine ****

Burney
09-14-2016, 11:49 AM
I won't even bother reading Winter on Arsenal anymore - the man is a grade a **** with an axe to grind against Wenger for some reason*. Incredibly unprofessional imo. In his season preview he went on about 7 teams had a chance to win the league - had something positive to say about all teams except one. So Henry, if you think we are capable of winning the league, why do you constantly slate Wenger and have nothing good to say about the team. He is also a smarmy ****

*I say this from a well-established position of not being in the "all the media hate us" club. This man is a genuine ****

I have been saying this on here literally for over a decade. His report on van Nistelrooy/Keown game back in 2003 was the most overwrought, pretentious, biased and just plain bad piece of bullshít I've ever seen written about us in a national newspaper. Winter is a prize **** and he can't get run over soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 11:56 AM
I have been saying this on here literally for over a decade. His report on van Nistelrooy/Keown game back in 2003 was the most overwrought, pretentious, biased and just plain bad piece of bullshít I've ever seen written about us in a national newspaper. Winter is a prize **** and he can't get run over soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I remember you were always hugely critical of him. Tended not to read the Telegraph for football, so avoided the worst of him. Not that easy now he is in the Times

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 11:57 AM

He gave him a '6' in my iPad version of the Times, which is about right. Ox is a '4', also about right. Iwobi and Ozil getting '5's is a bit harsh but not too much

World's End Stella
09-14-2016, 12:00 PM

I think he likes a bit of embellishment, nothing is ever middle of the road. As much as he likes to stick the knife in, I remember his piece about our 5-3 win over Boro when we were still undefeated and it was rather gushing.

My complaint is that he tends to write the match report based on the scoreline, rather than the actual playing.

PSRB
09-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Yes, I remember you were always hugely critical of him. Tended not to read the Telegraph for football, so avoided the worst of him. Not that easy now he is in the Times

I think I mentioned on here recently that I had the sales team from The Sun and Times and in, they were saying how fantastic it was that they now had Winter writing for them, to which I said "Yes, that's why I no longer read the paper", rather stopped him mid pitch

Luis Anaconda
09-14-2016, 12:09 PM
I think I mentioned on here recently that I had the sales team from The Sun and Times and in, they were saying how fantastic it was that they now had Winter writing for them, to which I said "Yes, that's why I no longer read the paper", rather stopped him mid pitch

:hehe: I remember, yes. Interesting that they've lost at least two of their main football writers since he came in though