PDA

View Full Version : Oh, we've a game tonight, have we?

Burney
09-13-2016, 01:21 PM
It's only one of those silly European ones, though. Nothing to get excited about.

Monty92
09-13-2016, 01:26 PM
It's only one of those silly European ones, though. Nothing to get excited about.

"Silly" because it's a group game or do you write off the entire competition as silly?

And if the latter, is it any less silly than the Premier League, really?

Burney
09-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Do you mean because it's a group game or do you write off the entire competition as silly?

And if the latter, is it any less silly than the Premier League, really?

No. I just don't care about them. I have looked deep into my soul and can honestly say that I don't care about European football in anything other than the degree to which it might affect domestic bragging rights. Whether or not we beat some foreign team I don't care about and of whose history, rivalries and players I know little and care less means nothing to me.

Besides, I can barely bring myself to care about domestic fixtures these days, let alone this pantomime.

Sir C
09-13-2016, 01:34 PM

I think it's rather exciting. PSG are undoubtedly a big force in European football now, making this a properly big game.

I know everyone has become blasé about the CL because we have the experience every year, but I remember the excitement of seeing a side like Juve come to Highbury when you had to pinch yourself that you were actually looking at Roberto Bettega, that our guys were sharing a pitch with the likes of Scirea, Tardelli and Gentile, so I still feel a little bit that way these days.

Burney
09-13-2016, 01:38 PM
I think it's rather exciting. PSG are undoubtedly a big force in European football now, making this a properly big game.

I know everyone has become blasé about the CL because we have the experience every year, but I remember the excitement of seeing a side like Juve come to Highbury when you had to pinch yourself that you were actually looking at Roberto Bettega, that our guys were sharing a pitch with the likes of Scirea, Tardelli and Gentile, so I still feel a little bit that way these days.

I think that's the thing, though, isn't it? It's not special. We can see these players any time we like on our tellies - indeed some of them have played for us. Familiarity has bred contempt.

PSG in '94 was more exciting because these players were unknown quantities. Someone like David Ginola appeared and you thought 'Fúcking hell, he's a bit good!'. You don't get those surprises any more.

Monty92
09-13-2016, 01:42 PM
I think that's the thing, though, isn't it? It's not special. We can see these players any time we like on our tellies - indeed some of them have played for us. Familiarity has bred contempt.

PSG in '94 was more exciting because these players were unknown quantities. Someone like David Ginola appeared and you thought 'Fúcking hell, he's a bit good!'. You don't get those surprises any more.

Strange way to spell "drop-dead gorgeous"

Sir C
09-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Well, those players still are special :shrug:

To be fair, you never actually appear that keen on football at all, really. Perhaps it's just not your thing?

Burney
09-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Well, those players still are special :shrug:

To be fair, you never actually appear that keen on football at all, really. Perhaps it's just not your thing?

Are they? I wonder sometimes if standards have risen to a point where top footballers don't seem to stand out and capture the imagination like they used to. Does the constant expectation of excellence refine or dull the palate? Perhaps we need sausages to appreciate the caviar?

:rubchin:

Sir C
09-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Are they? I wonder sometimes if standards have risen to a point where top footballers don't seem to stand out and capture the imagination like they used to. Does the constant expectation of excellence refine or dull the palate? Perhaps we need sausages to appreciate the caviar?

:rubchin:

:hehe: No. I think you just don't like it.

Burney
09-13-2016, 01:49 PM
:hehe: No. I think you just don't like it.

:shrug: I'm sure I used to. Or at least I'm sure I used to enjoy it. Perhaps the two things are distinct?

Burney
09-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Strange way to spell "drop-dead gorgeous"

That, too. But then he ruined it by coming and playing over here and all mystique was lost.

Luis Anaconda
09-13-2016, 02:11 PM

Dirty cheating fouling *******s to a man, though

Sir C
09-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Dirty cheating fouling *******s to a man, though

Foreigners, la. Can't help themselves.

Luis Anaconda
09-13-2016, 02:18 PM
Almost as bad as that Valencia lot in the final

I hate European football :(

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 02:24 PM

:-(

Presumably when you say 'foreigners' you mean the swarthy, latin, sympathizing types, Charles? Not the from English-stock, throw them into battle Dieppe style, colonials? You don't mix us all up do you?

Sir C
09-13-2016, 02:39 PM
:-(

Presumably when you say 'foreigners' you mean the swarthy, latin, sympathizing types, Charles? Not the from English-stock, throw them into battle Dieppe style, colonials? You don't mix us all up do you?

Well Canadians aren't actually foreign, are they? Whatr with being subjects of Her Majesty.

eastgermanautos
09-13-2016, 04:00 PM
:shrug: I'm sure I used to. Or at least I'm sure I used to enjoy it. Perhaps the two things are distinct?

I was comparing the rosters on Transfermarkt. They've got more 30m players than we do. :-( Mind you, whoever valued Di Maria at 60m should come into business with me. Aw hell yes.

SWv2
09-13-2016, 04:13 PM
I was comparing the rosters on Transfermarkt. They've got more 30m players than we do. :-( Mind you, whoever valued Di Maria at 60m should come into business with me. Aw hell yes.

Rosters? ****s sake.

Ash
09-13-2016, 04:42 PM
Rosters? ****s sake.

We should make allowances for furriners and their strange use of English, sw.