PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's not exactly Ted Bates, but the Geordies seem to have scored a pretty good

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 07:42 AM
own goal with the sheet metal worker's son's statue.

a) it doesn't look much like him
b) it has his goal celebration wrong
c) it fails to convey the degree of his banal thickheadedness to which we are routinely exposed - as difficult as that might be

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-37339832

Luis Anaconda
09-13-2016, 08:05 AM

c) it fails to convey the degree of his banal thickheadedness to which we are routinely exposed - as difficult as that might be

The left elbow looks like it is about to planted in someone's face though so it isn't all bad

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 08:27 AM
The left elbow looks like it is about to planted in someone's face though so it isn't all bad

And his body seems to have the proportions more or less correct - so that's one up on old Ted then.

Not that I value your opinion on football or anything, but are we going to get tonked tonight? :-(

Burney
09-13-2016, 08:27 AM

Nah. It's just averagely bad, I'm afraid. Although I'd agree that the sculptor is amusingly bad at arms.

It's no...

PSRB
09-13-2016, 08:28 AM

As J pointed on Twitter......."Gangnam style"

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Nah. It's just averagely bad, I'm afraid. Although I'd agree that the sculptor is amusingly bad at arms.

It's no...

What in God's name is that meant to be, exactly?

Luis Anaconda
09-13-2016, 08:41 AM
And his body seems to have the proportions more or less correct - so that's one up on old Ted then.

Not that I value your opinion on football or anything, but are we going to get tonked tonight? :-(

We will get gubbed indeed. Our only hope is that the Welsh Wizard will be fit.

Burney
09-13-2016, 08:47 AM
What in God's name is that meant to be, exactly?

Sir Paul 'Macca' McCartney

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 08:48 AM
We will get gubbed indeed. Our only hope is that the Welsh Wizard will be fit.

Stop being silly now, his absence had me filled with joy and no small amount of optimism. Then I looked at their starting midfield and attack:

Lucas Cavani DiMaria
Motta Verratti Matuidi

Gulp

Ash
09-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Sir Paul 'Macca' McCartney

But it's only the Hohner that gives it away.

Ash
09-13-2016, 08:53 AM

What have you got against sheet metal workers? Without them there'd be no kebabs, amongst other things, and if Alan Shearer's dad had been an accountant then he probably not have been a footballer. Which might be considered a good thing, of course, but is not really the point.

Burney
09-13-2016, 08:53 AM
But it's only the Hohner that gives it away.

That would be the tiny bass guitar that is dwarfed by his huge Orangutan arms and hands, yes?

Luis Anaconda
09-13-2016, 08:56 AM
That would be the tiny bass guitar that is dwarfed by his huge Orangutan arms and hands, yes?

Ah, maybe when he died in the sixties he was actually replaced in the band by a shave orangutan and the sculptor is simply trying to convey this. As good an explanation as any for the Frog Chorus

Burney
09-13-2016, 08:58 AM
What have you got against sheet metal workers? Without them there'd be no kebabs, amongst other things, and if Alan Shearer's dad had been an accountant then he probably not have been a footballer. Which might be considered a good thing, of course, but is not really the point.

My first editorship was on Sheetmetal Industries (I kid you not). I used to have to visit factories where fabrication, welding and pressing were the order of the day, where hydraulic presses 'KERCHUNK'ed for hours on end and the smell of swarf, cutting fluid and hot metal were constant. I remember a Hotpoint factory in Llandudno Junction that made me eternally grateful not to have been born working class. :-(

Ash
09-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Ah, maybe when he died in the sixties he was actually replaced in the band by a shave orangutan and the sculptor is simply trying to convey this. As good an explanation as any for the Frog Chorus

Ook!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c6/98/36/c6983686caade9228524d892bcd43b2f.jpg

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 09:09 AM

I have no issues with them whatsoever, fine chaps the lot of them. Unbelievably thick, of course, but fine chaps nonetheless, I'm sure.

Just wish one of their sons hadn't ended up in a position where he is on the telly, on a show I like to watch, providing the most banal opinions you could ever hear. Oh for the days of Des and Alan Hansen :-(

Sir C
09-13-2016, 09:11 AM
I have no issues with them whatsoever, fine chaps the lot of them. Unbelievably thick, of course, but fine chaps nonetheless, I'm sure.

Just wish one of their sons hadn't ended up in a position where he is on the telly, on a show I like to watch, providing the most banal opinions you could ever hear. Oh for the days of Des and Alan Hansen :-(

Jesus Christ, those days came complete with Mark Lawrenson. Shearer is a Ustinovesque raconteur compared to Lawrenson.

World's End Stella
09-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Jesus Christ, those days came complete with Mark Lawrenson. Shearer is a Ustinovesque raconteur compared to Lawrenson.

True, but for some reason I could deal with Lawrenson's and Hansen's banality.

Shearer's makes me want to drive spikes into my ears. Perhaps it's the Geordie accent that does it.

Luis Anaconda
09-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Ook!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c6/98/36/c6983686caade9228524d892bcd43b2f.jpg

:bow: Still my favourite character