PDA

View Full Version : Just had a really delicious hot dog here in Hamburg. How is this possible?

Burney
09-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Bog-standard bockwurst, senf, ketchup, roasted onion bits and sliced gherkins - so nothing out of the ordinary. And yet, as a culinary experience, it was miles ahead of anything you get in England. Why? The only possible differences were that the bun had a bit more chew to it than the flabby things you get in England and the mustard was proper German stuff. Beyond that, however, I can see no reason it should have been so superior. And yet it was.

Sir C
09-08-2016, 10:57 AM
Bog-standard bockwurst, senf, ketchup, roasted onion bits and sliced gherkins - so nothing out of the ordinary. And yet, as a culinary experience, it was miles ahead of anything you get in England. Why? The only possible differences were that the bun had a bit more chew to it than the flabby things you get in England and the mustard was proper German stuff. Beyond that, however, I can see no reason it should have been so superior. And yet it was.

Hmm, you say, 'bog-standard bockwurst', but wursts of all descriptions are better in the Vaterland, that's just a FACT.

Pat Vegas
09-08-2016, 11:19 AM

Does that mean you'll get an amazing burger in Frankfurt?

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 11:52 AM

The roll is a very important thing - can't actually remember the last time I had a hot dog in England though.

Shall probably be in Hamburg in a couple of weeks - anything of interest there apart from the Reeperbahn?

Sir C
09-08-2016, 12:03 PM
The roll is a very important thing - can't actually remember the last time I had a hot dog in England though.

Shall probably be in Hamburg in a couple of weeks - anything of interest there apart from the Reeperbahn?

I lived in a sort of hippy commune in Hamburg for a few weeks in the late 80s. Skt Pauli was really quite scary at night. There was a neighbourhood Portuguses restaurant that would give you half a dozen oysters followed by pork and clam stew, with as much vinho tinto as you could manage, for 30 marks :cry:

eastgermanautos
09-09-2016, 04:59 AM

Now I don't think that the roll is that important. I think you can get by with the cheapest wonder bread. I base this, not on the world of hot dogs, but on the world of bar-b-que. I went to a bbq place in the deep south and that sh!t was delicious. But they gave you white wonder bread and a sprite.

Burney
09-09-2016, 08:46 AM

Not really. It's quite a handsome city away from St Pauli - which is where I was staying. There's St Pauli's sub-Selhurst Park stadium next to the massive Nazi flak tower, but when the big funfair at the Dom is closed - as at present - it's just a big wasteland around there, really.
The Reeperbahn is just a bit depressing - teenage hookers annoying the **** out of you by grabbing you and refusing to take 'Nein danke' for an answer.

Luis Anaconda
09-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Not really. It's quite a handsome city away from St Pauli - which is where I was staying. There's St Pauli's sub-Selhurst Park stadium next to the massive Nazi flak tower, but when the big funfair at the Dom is closed - as at present - it's just a big wasteland around there, really.
The Reeperbahn is just a bit depressing - teenage hookers annoying the **** out of you by grabbing you and refusing to take 'Nein danke' for an answer.
Sounds dreadful :sherlock:
St Pauli fans are an interesting bunch - make Milwall look like Eton schoolboys. When they play 1860 it is a particularly lovely time to get out of Munich

Sir C
09-09-2016, 09:06 AM

It's nice down on the Alster, and Vier Jahreszeiten remains, in my view, one of Europe's finest grand hotels. I was once served roast hare there for breakfast, which was novel.

Burney
09-09-2016, 10:15 AM
It's nice down on the Alster, and Vier Jahreszeiten remains, in my view, one of Europe's finest grand hotels. I was once served roast hare there for breakfast, which was novel.

Yes. And the botanical gardens around the Glacischaussee are lovely as well. Like I say, a handsome city away from St Pauli.