PDA

View Full Version : New signings. I feel so underwhelmed

Lady Henry AKA The African Queen
09-07-2016, 10:09 PM
We needed a striker and defender before Merts and Gaby almost died. Now that the new boys have had no chance to bed in and the other teams are looking stronger, I actually feel I support from from duty and masochism.

Whilst I am pleased with Mustafi, our injury woes means we are back to square one should anything happen - which is a given with us. I have never heard of the other bloke (even though I check up on Serie A - albeit not as much as before). I probably would have felt happier with Lacazette but I have just lost it with AW (some time ago but still) and will just be happy with wins, but expect nothing.
I didn't think it before but I now realize we are in serious jeopardy of losing our beloved 4th place trophy.

This is what supporting Ingerlund must feel like at the minute...

Arsenes' Wanger
09-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Spot On Lady H. Good business but way too late.Always the last minute bargain hunter is Arsene. Ozil, Santi and Sanchez deserve a Torres in his prime sort of striker. I hope our new one does the business. Putting the afore named three with Giroud is like putting me in the Jamaican 100m relay team. It isn't Girouds fault. He is decent enough. But so so slow.

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Spot On Lady H. Good business but way too late.Always the last minute bargain hunter is Arsene. Ozil, Santi and Sanchez deserve a Torres in his prime sort of striker. I hope our new one does the business. Putting the afore named three with Giroud is like putting me in the Jamaican 100m relay team. It isn't Girouds fault. He is decent enough. But so so slow.

Don't under estimate yourself, Wanger. If you had as many drugs in your body as the Jamaican 4x100 team I reckon you'd be pretty quick.

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 08:54 AM
We needed a striker and defender before Merts and Gaby almost died. Now that the new boys have had no chance to bed in and the other teams are looking stronger, I actually feel I support from from duty and masochism.

Whilst I am pleased with Mustafi, our injury woes means we are back to square one should anything happen - which is a given with us. I have never heard of the other bloke (even though I check up on Serie A - albeit not as much as before). I probably would have felt happier with Lacazette but I have just lost it with AW (some time ago but still) and will just be happy with wins, but expect nothing.
I didn't think it before but I now realize we are in serious jeopardy of losing our beloved 4th place trophy.

This is what supporting Ingerlund must feel like at the minute...

As far as I am aware, Mertesacker and Gabriel are merely injured - unfortunate but less serious than dead. Quite how people think we can just stockpile players when there is a limit on a squad size these days. Most managers have spoken about what a difficult summer it was to sign players - see Chelsea's struggle to get a centre back in and what they ended up with. Only Arsene seems to get stick for it. City only bought their first choice keeper in the last week of the window but they have been praised to the hilt for their summer business :shrug:.

Not surprised you feel underwhelmed by Lucas - he did absolutely **** all in Serie A last year. He did however score 17 goals in La Liga

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 08:56 AM

Blimey - you must rate Mustafi very highly if you think 34 million is a bargain

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 10:18 AM
Only Arsene manages a club with over £150mil in cash reserves that hasn't won the league in 12 years. Only Arsene manages a club in the top 5 leagues in Europe that didn't buy a single outfield player last summer only to finish 10 points behind Leicester. Only Arsene refused to replace Almunia with Schwarzer for the princely sum of £2mil. etc etc etc

He brings it on himself imo.

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Only Arsene manages a club with over £150mil in cash reserves that hasn't won the league in 12 years. Only Arsene manages a club in the top 5 leagues in Europe that didn't buy a single outfield player last summer only to finish 10 points behind Leicester. Only Arsene refused to replace Almunia with Schwarzer for the princely sum of £2mil. etc etc etc

He brings it on himself imo.
Ah, nothing new or relevant to bring to the table, I see.

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 10:30 AM
It is both relevant and some of it new. You just choose to denigrate a view you don't agree with because you have no valid counter argument, apparently.

Nothing new there then.

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 10:36 AM
It is both relevant and some of it new. You just choose to denigrate a view you don't agree with because you have no valid counter argument, apparently.

Nothing new there then.

Well, the thread was about this summer's signings and you've chosen to go off on one about last summer and, even more bizarrely, something that allegedly happened six years ago, so I am not sure what you consider new and relevant in that. If you actually make a point that is worth putting forward a counter argument against to I would gladly do so. At the moment you haven't :shrug:

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 12:21 PM
If this place allowed me to reply with quote (it did yesterday but doesn't seem to today) I would have highlighted this from your post:

'Only Arsene seems to get stick for it.'

I thought the manner of my reply made that clear, maybe not. And my reply was perfectly relevant, balanced and supportable in that context.

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 12:22 PM
Well, the thread was about this summer's signings and you've chosen to go off on one about last summer and, even more bizarrely, something that allegedly happened six years ago, so I am not sure what you consider new and relevant in that. If you actually make a point that is worth putting forward a counter argument against to I would gladly do so. At the moment you haven't :shrug:

Let's see if this stupid thing is now working, shall we

PSRB
09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
As far as I am aware, Mertesacker and Gabriel are merely injured - unfortunate but less serious than dead. Quite how people think we can just stockpile players when there is a limit on a squad size these days. Most managers have spoken about what a difficult summer it was to sign players - see Chelsea's struggle to get a centre back in and what they ended up with. Only Arsene seems to get stick for it. City only bought their first choice keeper in the last week of the window but they have been praised to the hilt for their summer business :shrug:.

Not surprised you feel underwhelmed by Lucas - he did absolutely **** all in Serie A last year. He did however score 17 goals in La Liga

Was he not the "best of the rest" strikers in La Liga? Certainly don't think it's particularly fair to dismiss a player before he's actually played a game for us

I happen to think we've had a very good transfer window and convinced we'll have a very good season

SWv2
09-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Was he not the "best of the rest" strikers in La Liga? Certainly don't think it's particularly fair to dismiss a player before he's actually played a game for us.

There was 3 others above him, not taking into account any players from the obvious big 3.

https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/TopGoalScorers?comp_id=518

Agree with you on the second assertion all the same, give him a chance before burying him. I think most people's frustration is based not at the player but at the process and the length of time it took to act which in turn may cause one to wonder if he was ever a plan or simply a panic/reaction to a less than awe inspiring start to the season.

Had he been high on Wenger's list of targets then given his clause he could in reality have signed earlier.

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Was he not the "best of the rest" strikers in La Liga? Certainly don't think it's particularly fair to dismiss a player before he's actually played a game for us

I happen to think we've had a very good transfer window and convinced we'll have a very good season

Yes, absolutely. I haven't been this optimistic in years.

SWv2
09-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Yes, absolutely. I haven't been this optimistic in years.

What is this extreme level of optimism based on?

Red N White Army
09-08-2016, 12:59 PM
I think it was pretty clear that we were aiming higher once Vardy failed (either Griezmann or Lewandowski, if Twitter is to be believed) but couldn't make that happen (unsurprisingly), so he was next in line. I don't get the complaints about timing really - we've played 3 games. No team had a settled squad before the season kicked off, one of those things until they close the transfer window before the season starts - I guess the problem with that is not all leagues KO at the same time.

Otherwise, pretty content. Decent signings in MF and CB, Perez an unknown but a reasonable enough gamble, on the face if it. Whether it is enough remains to be seen but for once I'm not looking at glaring holes in the squad.

omiks
09-08-2016, 01:09 PM

Yes, Wenger did the business late. Yes he got players we did not expect. Yes we missed out on Griezman (bcos he did not want to leave) and Lacazette (who like Wenger I do not believe was worth the price Lyon wanted to sell).
Who knew Henry and co when Wenger signed them? Yes those are old footballing days but pls give this man a chance. My only worry is that we need one more winger and not a striker after the purchase of Lucas.
Walcott, Iwobi and Ox just cannot do it and are very prone to injury.
I have high hopes for the season. And yes we actually do have a chance of winning the league. I have not watched any team who look unbeatable this season. They all have weak spots. Please let us give Lucas a chance, he has not even kicked a ball FFS!!!

SWv2
09-08-2016, 01:12 PM
Who knew Henry and co when Wenger signed them?

I don’t think Henry was the best example you could have used here as I would assume 99% of chaps who had a passing interest in football knew who Henry was what with him being part of the France 98 World Cup winning squad and a young player who had moved from Monaco with a big reputation to one of the larger clubs in Europe.

Apart from that he was of course unknown.

Red N White Army
09-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Lol, almost any of Wenger's successful signings other then Henry would have done.

SWv2
09-08-2016, 01:28 PM
Lol, almost any of Wenger's successful signings other then Henry would have done.

Bit harsh on Iwobi also I have to say.

Red N White Army
09-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Do academy players count as signings now?

(he was an academy player, wasn't he? I'm not deviant enough to know for sure)

SWv2
09-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Do academy players count as signings now?

(he was an academy player, wasn't he? I'm not deviant enough to know for sure)

Apparently so. It was more the other chap's reference to him being injury prone which I took very minor offence to.

Did you know that young Alex is the nephew of Jay Jay Okacha. There you go. One for the pub on friday after work.

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 01:48 PM
If this place allowed me to reply with quote (it did yesterday but doesn't seem to today) I would have highlighted this from your post:

'Only Arsene seems to get stick for it.'

I thought the manner of my reply made that clear, maybe not. And my reply was perfectly relevant, balanced and supportable in that context.

Ah - fair enough you grumpy Canadian *******.

Red N White Army
09-08-2016, 01:48 PM
That does vaguley ring a bell, yes.

How are you SW? Going this w/e?

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 01:56 PM

The belief/hope that the acquisition of Xhaka means that I will never again have to watch Aaron Ramsey attempt to play central midfield for Arsenal Football Club.

It fills me with joy. :)

PSRB
09-08-2016, 02:18 PM
The belief/hope that the acquisition of Xhaka means that I will never again have to watch Aaron Ramsey attempt to play central midfield for Arsenal Football Club.

It fills me with joy. :)

I don't mind him midfield at all, just not as the deep lying CM, he's wasted (and not great) there

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 03:08 PM
I don't mind him midfield at all, just not as the deep lying CM, he's wasted (and not great) there

Yeah, that's what I meant. The only position he should play is currently occupied by Mesut Ozil, a far superior player.

Wide on the right doesn't really suit him and when he plays as one of the '2' in 4-2-3-1 he's been poor imo.

09-08-2016, 03:51 PM
So I got the league wrong.
The point is Luis that we have been crying out for these signings for ages. If our squad is too large then we need to shift people or let them go.
If these were additions to a squad that was competitive, then fine. But they are not. All summer we knew that Welbeck would not be back in time for the start of the season, than Grioud would be rested come the start (as should Aaron but I digress), Ozil et al. Yet we did nothing to address this. If come the end of the season we lose the league/ 4th place by 4-5 points, I trust you will still be so cock a hoop.

09-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Totally agree. Year in, year out we have tried to do things on a shoe string while bragging about our funds. Why are we so surprised when people refuse shekels? Even if we had been building steadily on transfer successes we would have something. But we panic buy or leave it late and then bemoan some *******s that everybody else had o deal with.

PSRB
09-08-2016, 03:56 PM
So I got the league wrong.
The point is Luis that we have been crying out for these signings for ages. If our squad is too large then we need to shift people or let them go.
If these were additions to a squad that was competitive, then fine. But they are not. All summer we knew that Welbeck would not be back in time for the start of the season, than Grioud would be rested come the start (as should Aaron but I digress), Ozil et al. Yet we did nothing to address this. If come the end of the season we lose the league/ 4th place by 4-5 points, I trust you will still be so cock a hoop.

Are you actually suggesting that we should have just bought a player for 3 matches? I think it's fair to say we tried to get players in earlier but for whatever reason they didn't happen

09-08-2016, 03:57 PM
His points are relevant because this happens every year and for some bizarre reason for a man who is supposed to be so intelligent everyone else bar him seems to notice it is not working. WES is saying what most of us have been feeling for too long.
When was the last time we began the season with a squad worthy of the Arsenal name?
Now the stadium finances are behind us, what further excuses are we looking for?

09-08-2016, 04:06 PM
But don't you wonder why this was not addressed pre season so at least we could all be up to speed?
Are you telling me that bar their injuries, you would have been happy for Gab and Merts along Kos this season Pires?

I am not saying the Lucas is rubbish but as he wasn't in France we could have brought him in earlier and maybe things may have been different against Liverpool and Leicester.
Ifs, buts and maybes I know but to expect people to hit the PL running from a significantly different league is asking a lot.
Only the energizer bunny that is Alexis has successfully done it of late.

09-08-2016, 04:07 PM
And is that our level now? Going after the 'best of the rest'?

09-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Yeah I was very unhappy Campbell was shipped off again as he is clearly far more reliable.

PSRB
09-08-2016, 04:15 PM
And is that our level now? Going after the 'best of the rest'?

It's been our level since the 40's. We are not as big a draw as Bayern, United, Real or Barca and we don't have endlass cash of City and to a lesser extent Chelsea

How many world class players at the top of their game have ever signed for us? Arshavin and Campbell, you could also include Ozil as Real were just mental selling him so they could buy a shiny, new toy (Bale)

09-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Are you actually suggesting that we should have just bought a player for 3 matches? I think it's fair to say we tried to get players in earlier but for whatever reason they didn't happen

No that we should have bought earlier. I presume pre season games are no just about fitness but also about bedding players into our style of play. Re-reading I see that it comes across wrong.

I would gladly love to be proved wrong but somehow...

PSRB
09-08-2016, 04:18 PM
But don't you wonder why this was not addressed pre season so at least we could all be up to speed?
Are you telling me that bar their injuries, you would have been happy for Gab and Merts along Kos this season Pires?

I am not saying the Lucas is rubbish but as he wasn't in France we could have brought him in earlier and maybe things may have been different against Liverpool and Leicester.
Ifs, buts and maybes I know but to expect people to hit the PL running from a significantly different league is asking a lot.
Only the energizer bunny that is Alexis has successfully done it of late.

We were clearly after Vardy at that point though and when that fell through then we had to start to look elsewhere, hardly as though there is a plethora of top class strikers around and when Everton are looking for £70m for Lukaku then you know there's a bit of a supply and demand issue

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 04:19 PM
His points are relevant because this happens every year and for some bizarre reason for a man who is supposed to be so intelligent everyone else bar him seems to notice it is not working. WES is saying what most of us have been feeling for too long.
When was the last time we began the season with a squad worthy of the Arsenal name?
Now the stadium finances are behind us, what further excuses are we looking for?
:wave: Hello Lady H - hope you are well.
Can't remember the last time we spent 100 million quid in a summer. This squad was good enough to finish second last year and undoubtedly been strengthened by Xhaka and Mustafi (the third most expensive defender in history I believe - bloody cheapskate Wenger) and hopefully Holding and Lucas.
To say our squad isn't worthy the Arsenal name is just wrong. It isn't perfect but there are some cracking players and depth in most positions (how many teams have full backs as good as Debuchy and Gibbs as back up full backs? Gabriel and Per will be back to bolster our centre back options and Ramsey, one of the best players at the Euros, doesn't get into our strongest XI at the moment).

Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Xhaka, Carzorla, Sanchez and Mesut "****ing" Özil as the core of the team is pretty ****ing good to me

09-08-2016, 04:19 PM
It's been our level since the 40's. We are not as big a draw as Bayern, United, Real or Barca and we don't have endlass cash of City and to a lesser extent Chelsea

How many world class players at the top of their game have ever signed for us? Arshavin and Campbell, you could also include Ozil as Real were just mental selling him so they could buy a shiny, new toy (Bale)

I would add Alexis, Thierry and Dennis to that list. Possibly Overmars, Gilberto Silva and Petit.

09-08-2016, 04:23 PM
:wave: Hello Lady H - hope you are well.
Can't remember the last time we spent 100 million quid in a summer. This squad was good enough to finish second last year and undoubtedly been strengthened by Xhaka and Mustafi (the third most expensive defender in history I believe - bloody cheapskate Wenger) and hopefully Holding and Lucas.
To say our squad isn't worthy the Arsenal name is just wrong. It isn't perfect but there are some cracking players and depth in most positions (how many teams have full backs as good as Debuchy and Gibbs as back up full backs? Gabriel and Per will be back to bolster our centre back options and Ramsey, one of the best players at the Euros, doesn't get into our strongest XI at the moment).

Cech, Bellerin, Koscielny, Xhaka, Carzorla, Sanchez and Mesut "****ing" Özil as the core of the team is pretty ****ing good to me

Hey Luis. Long time. I pray all is good. :love:

You are right I should be more optimistic but somehow I am not. I do not hold the same high regard for Gibbs and Debuchy as you do but overall we should be ok.
I am very unhappy Joel has been sent out again and wish Theo had instead. I was surprised Jack accepted it but the ego that is Walcott clearly would not and because of his ludicrous wages we are stuck with him.

Ah well. Onwards and upwards.

PSRB
09-08-2016, 04:24 PM
I would add Alexis, Thierry and Dennis to that list. Possibly Overmars, Gilberto Silva and Petit.

Alexis couldn't get a game at Barca, Dennis was having a torrid time at Inter and Henry was occasionally playing for Juve and when he did it was on the right wing.

Petit was virtually unheard of when signed, Giberto was also pretty much unheard of apart from by the hipsters. Overmars, yes you can have that one but sodded off to Barca pretty quickly when his talent became overwhelmingly evident

World's End Stella
09-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Alexis couldn't get a game at Barca, Dennis was having a torrid time at Inter and Henry was occasionally playing for Juve and when he did it was on the right wing.

Petit was virtually unheard of when signed, Giberto was also pretty much unheard of apart from by the hipsters. Overmars, yes you can have that one but sodded off to Barca pretty quickly when his talent became overwhelmingly evident

All of that is true but according to Ivan, that's why we built the Emirates, so that we could compete for the best players.

So once we get in that position to have him tell us we can't while £150mil+ sits in the club's accounts is rather galling.

But as I said, Wenger finally spent some money and certainly Xhaka looks very good so there's reason for optimism.

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Hey Luis. Long time. I pray all is good. :love
I am very unhappy Joel has been sent out again and wish Theo had instead. I was surprised Jack accepted it but the ego that is Walcott clearly would not and because of his ludicrous wages we are stuck with him.

Ah well. Onwards and upwards.

Agree about Joel - must have upset Arsene somehow. Not Walcott's biggest fan but he seems to have accepted he is going to play wide and shown some gumption in the first couple of games

Luis Anaconda
09-08-2016, 04:53 PM

Overmars came after a very bad injury though - people were suspicious. Pretty much got his best years though. And Petit's Barca bought

09-08-2016, 04:59 PM

So they were not world class?
Are you only world class if others want you or if you are showing the necessary class?

Red N White Army
09-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Bar Bergkamp, I don't think any of the others were "world class" at that point. As PSRB says, each had their issues to overcome - they all proved themselves to be outstanding players for us, but I still don't think anyone other than Bergkamp or Henry (and maybe Overmars for 2-3 years) would have got in an all-time world XI. Comes down to your definition of world class I guess, which is pretty meaningless all told...

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-09-2016, 12:02 PM
There was 3 others above him, not taking into account any players from the obvious big 3.

https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/TopGoalScorers?comp_id=518

Agree with you on the second assertion all the same, give him a chance before burying him. I think most people's frustration is based not at the player but at the process and the length of time it took to act which in turn may cause one to wonder if he was ever a plan or simply a panic/reaction to a less than awe inspiring start to the season.

Had he been high on Wenger's list of targets then given his clause he could in reality have signed earlier.

Not sure if this helps explain the transfer strategy or whether this is just someone trying to plug his book and getting a bit of exposure. LA would probably be able to give us an insight.

SWv2
09-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Not sure if this helps explain the transfer strategy or whether this is just someone trying to plug his book and getting a bit of exposure. LA would probably be able to give us an insight.

I don't have a book mate, other than the Bible.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
09-09-2016, 12:44 PM
I don't have a book mate, other than the Bible.

If you are going to have just one book from the fiction archives, that is among the best books to have.

PSRB
09-09-2016, 01:02 PM
So they were not world class?
Are you only world class if others want you or if you are showing the necessary class?

They became World Class at Arsenal

SWv2
09-09-2016, 01:16 PM
They became World Class at Arsenal

I think the concept of world class is silly and being as it is without actual definition it is a meaningless label.

This is not an attack on you btw as I suspect you concur.

PSRB
09-09-2016, 03:08 PM
I think the concept of world class is silly and being as it is without actual definition it is a meaningless label.

This is not an attack on you btw as I suspect you concur.

Correct, I do. Would walk in to almost any squad would probably be a better description of their ability