PDA

View Full Version : There's gonna be a god damn open casket at the home of my girlfriend’s grandma after

Monty92
08-31-2016, 11:16 AM
her funeral ceremony. Put me right off my triangular smoked salmon sandwiches, that will :-(

Reason given by her husband that “it would be nice for her to be in her home for one last time”

She’s dead. She wouldn’t know any different if you stuck her on Nemesis at Alton Towers for one last time.

****ing pseudo-Catholics.

Luis Anaconda
08-31-2016, 11:20 AM
her funeral ceremony. Put me right off my triangular smoked salmon sandwiches, that will :-(

Reason given by her husband that “it would be nice for her to be in her home for one last time”

She’s dead. She wouldn’t know any different if you stuck her on Nemesis at Alton Towers for one last time.

Surely you have the open-casket thing before the ceremony - that's just weird

Burney
08-31-2016, 11:26 AM

Yeah. That is super-weird. You do the wake, then the funeral, then the committal.

Monty92
08-31-2016, 11:27 AM

She's being cremated so I think the plan is to have some kind of ceremony, then back to the house to stare at a corpse, then the cremation the following day.

I dunno. I've only ever been to a Jewish funeral so this is all unchartered waters for me. Anything else I should know?

Luis Anaconda
Yeah. That is super-weird. You do the wake, then the funeral, then the committal.

Then back to the pub

Burney

Dare you to take a selfie with her.

Burney
08-31-2016, 11:28 AM
She's being cremated so I think the plan is to have some kind of ceremony, then back to the house to stare at a corpse, then the cremation the following day.

I dunno. I've only ever been to a Jewish funeral so this is all unchartered waters for me. Anything else I should know?

It's mandatory for family members to kiss the corpse.

Monty92
08-31-2016, 11:30 AM
It's mandatory for family members to kiss the corpse.

Really? Like sexy kissing?

Burney
08-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Really? Like sexy kissing?

Well since funeral directors use a special device and a needle gun to keep the mouth closed, no. Just a peck is fine.

Monty92
08-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Well since funeral directors use a special device and a needle gun to keep the mouth closed, no. Just a peck is fine.

Surely I won't be expected to kiss her? I'm not even married to her granddaughter so I'm barely even family.

Burney
08-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Surely I won't be expected to kiss her? I'm not even married to her granddaughter so I'm barely even family.

Of course you will! You're the father of her great-grandkids. :shrug:

You can always just kiss the air just above her face. That's what I did with my granny.

IUFG
08-31-2016, 11:42 AM
whooah there!

Shirley not? I wouldn't want to traumatise a child by instructing them to stick a kiss on a cadaver's pallid cheek / forehead.

Burney
08-31-2016, 11:43 AM
whooah there!

Shirley not? I wouldn't want to traumatise a child by instructing them to stick a kiss on a cadaver's pallid cheek / forehead.

I was a man full grown when it happened. No big thing.