PDA

View Full Version : I very much enjoyed the first episode of 'Victoria' on Sunday,

Sir C
08-30-2016, 10:39 AM
but then I am a sucker for a costume drama.

The young actress who plays Her Majesty is really rather toothsome. Rufus Sewell is terrific as avuncular Lord Melbourne. The 'downstairs' shenanigans are something of a damp squib, but may, of course, liven up a little.

wd all involved.

TheCurly
08-30-2016, 10:42 AM

The young actress who plays Her Majesty is really rather toothsome. Rufus Sewell is terrific as avuncular Lord Melbourne. The 'downstairs' shenanigans are something of a damp squib, but may, of course, liven up a little.

wd all involved.

Frocks and ladies going all Rita Hayworth is what Sundays are all about imo

Burney
08-30-2016, 10:49 AM

wd all involved.

Yes. I think I read that Prince Harry's giving her the benefit at the moment. Which is taking method acting a bit seriously imo.

I find the fact that they've tried to turn it into Upstairs Downstairs irritating.

The TV lowpoints of the weekend were the revivals of Are You Being Served? and Porridge. :-( I said of the latter that it felt like watching someone dig up the corpse of a dear friend and use it as a crash test dummy. I stand by that.

Sir C
08-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Frocks and ladies going all Rita Hayworth is what Sundays are all about imo

With apologies to all, I am going to hijack this thread now and change the subject.

I'm halfway through the Graham Nash book, c. It's all very interesting, but I can't warm to the man. Because he appears to be a right ****.

Fair?

Sir C
08-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Yes. I think I read that Prince Harry's giving her the benefit at the moment. Which is taking method acting a bit seriously imo.

I find the fact that they've tried to turn it into Upstairs Downstairs irritating.

The TV lowpoints of the weekend were the revivals of Are You Being Served? and Porridge. :-( I said of the latter that it felt like watching someone dig up the corpse of a dear friend and use it as a crash test dummy. I stand by that.

Oh wd ph! Royalty does have its privileges, after all.

I avoided those remakes like a pustulent cock. :shudder:

Burney
08-30-2016, 10:53 AM
With apologies to all, I am going to hijack this thread now and change the subject.

I'm halfway through the Graham Nash book, c. It's all very interesting, but I can't warm to the man. Because he appears to be a right ****.

Fair?

Manchurian, innit. :nod:

Burney
08-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Oh wd ph! Royalty does have its privileges, after all.

I avoided those remakes like a pustulent cock. :shudder:

Yes. I think everyone thinks Prince Harry's a good egg all round. Likes a drink and puts it about a good deal - as a proper chap ought to. William's a bit of a wet blanket by comparison, but then I suppose he has to be.

TheCurly
08-30-2016, 10:55 AM

Fair?

He did the dirt on his bird Sir C :-( Now I like a bit of Jonithe same as any man but ermmmm sh'es a munter right?

Burney
08-30-2016, 10:56 AM
He did the dirt on his bird Sir C :-( Now I like a bit of Jonithe same as any man but ermmmm sh'es a munter right?

To be fair, I think you basically had to knob Joni Mitchell if you lived in California in the late '60s. It was a bylaw or something.

TheCurly
08-30-2016, 11:05 AM
To be fair, I think you basically had to knob Joni Mitchell if you lived in California in the late '60s. It was a bylaw or something.

My one abiding memory of the book is how much of a junkie Dave Crosby really is.How the man is still alive is beyond me.

Burney
08-30-2016, 11:07 AM
My one abiding memory of the book is how much of a junkie Dave Crosby really is.How the man is still alive is beyond me.

Yes. He's on his second or third liver, I believe, but still going.

Talking of people still being alive: Kirk fúcking Douglas is still alive, c. What the fúck is that all about?

TheCurly
08-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Yes. He's on his second or third liver, I believe, but still going.

Talking of people still being alive: Kirk fúcking Douglas is still alive, c. What the fúck is that all about?

LOL...........funny you should say that me and Mrs C were talking about him last week.He's gotta be 100

Burney
08-30-2016, 11:14 AM
LOL...........funny you should say that me and Mrs C were talking about him last week.He's gotta be 100

Must be. His son got his bus pass years ago, so Kirk must be fùcking ancient.

Just looked it up. He's 100 in December. Which actually surprises me. Seems a bit young.

Sir C
08-30-2016, 11:18 AM

Yes, I'd understand it if he'd been tempted by, say, Jenna Coleman or Polly Toynbee, but Joni? Not with a bag of dicks, as a wise man I knew used to put it.

Burney
08-30-2016, 11:20 AM
Yes, I'd understand it if he'd been tempted by, say, Jenna Coleman or Polly Toynbee, but Joni? Not with a bag of dicks, as a wise man I knew used to put it.

Also, you'd always know that sooner or later she'd write a song about it, which would get very wearing on the nerves.

TheCurly
08-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Also, you'd always know that sooner or later she'd write a song about it, which would get very wearing on the nerves.

To be fair the union produced the classic A Case Of You which is up there with the all time classic singles.I was going to say imho but it is in fact FACT

7sisters
08-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Fair?

That's interesting. I had an identical experience with Irvine Welsh's Blade Artist, while on holiday.
A sort of Get Carter reworking. Intentional or otherwise, I kept wanting Begbie, ( the main character ) to meet a grizzly end, or at least his other half. Purely in the interests of balance and probability of course.

Sir C
08-30-2016, 12:00 PM
That's interesting. I had an identical experience with Irvine Welsh's Blade Artist, while on holiday.
A sort of Get Carter reworking. Intentional or otherwise, I kept wanting Begbie, ( the main character ) to meet a grizzly end, or at least his other half. Purely in the interests of balance and probability of course.

But that was a fictional character, 7. Graham Nash is real. Unfortunately.

7sisters
08-30-2016, 12:09 PM
But that was a fictional character, 7. Graham Nash is real. Unfortunately.

Yes, of course, Crosby Stills and all that. Sorry, I had the wires crossed. Crosby had an album release with his son a couple of years back and I thought it quite brilliant.. Croz..