PDA

View Full Version : So we had Xhaka, Santi and Ozzy as our 1st choice MF. When we play Olly up front,

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-27-2016, 04:12 PM
who will play right wing when everyone is fit?

Rambo, Feo, Ox, Iwobi and young Serge? Wilshere? The new lad Perez?

At least we were decent in the first half. Our three genuine world class players scored (even if Santi's was a pen.)

We really need to go on a huge wining run. And hope our rivals cock up.

But what did people think of Xhaka? Does he look much of an upgrade on El-Neny and Coq as a DM? We've spending £40m on a defender - forced on us because of Per and Gabby's injuries. £35m on a DM when we did have some decent options.

But we didn't score enough goals last year. We needed a world class striker or a top goalscoring winger like Mahrez or Mkhitaryan. Yet we spent just £17m on a forward who will give us cover for Olly {and an option from the bench} but may not be any better than Welbz. {Though I don't think Welbz has ever scored 17 in a season.}

If only Serge could score a goal a game like he did in Rio.

Billy Goat Sverige
08-27-2016, 04:54 PM

At least we were decent in the first half. Our three genuine world class players scored (even if Santi's was a pen.)

But what did people think of Xhaka? Does he look much of an upgrade on El-Neny and Coq as a DM? We've spending £40m on a defender - forced on us because of Per and Gabby's injuries. £35m on a DM when we did have some decent options.

But we didn't score enough goals last year. We needed a world class striker or a top goalscoring winger like Mahrez or Mkhitaryan. Yet we spent just £17m on a forward who will give us cover for Olly {and an option from the bench} but may not be any better than Welbz. {Though I don't think Welbz has ever scored 17 in a season.}

How do you know he won't be better than Giroud?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-27-2016, 05:07 PM
How do you know he won't be better than Giroud?

Just a guess. I don't reckon that any club would sell a Giroud level striker (let alone one better than him) for less than £20m. Not for a 27 year old at his peak. Look how much money was being talked about for that Froggie (Lacazette?) who's not meant to be any better than Olly.

I hope I'm wrong, but look at the money people have gone for this summer. Olly gives us all that hold up play and still scores 20+ goals, even after injuries and massive goal droughts.

I did watch his youtube vid on Arseblog and he puts the ball away well - even if loads of his goals and assists seemed to be offside. {Well, 3 were close calls anyway.}

I hope he does well, I just reckon that if he was better than Olly and could have been bought for that price, we'd have done it much earlier.

Brentwood
08-29-2016, 09:35 AM
A video here of Granite's highlights. Some of his laser guided long range passing was superb

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/08/video-granit-xhaka-v-watford-2016/

Ash
08-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Just a guess. I don't reckon that any club would sell a Giroud level striker (let alone one better than him) for less than £20m. Not for a 27 year old at his peak. Look how much money was being talked about for that Froggie (Lacazette?) who's not meant to be any better than Olly.

I hope I'm wrong, but look at the money people have gone for this summer. Olly gives us all that hold up play and still scores 20+ goals, even after injuries and massive goal droughts.

I did watch his youtube vid on Arseblog and he puts the ball away well - even if loads of his goals and assists seemed to be offside. {Well, 3 were close calls anyway.}

I hope he does well, I just reckon that if he was better than Olly and could have been bought for that price, we'd have done it much earlier.

Yeah, because players are only any good if they are REALLY EXPENSIVE. Rob Holding must be a terrible, terrible footballer if he only cost £2m. If only there was a manager with, say, 20 years history of regularly getting superb value in the transfer market.

TheCurly
08-29-2016, 10:18 AM

I think we scored plenty of goals last season.3 at West Ham,2 at Old Trafford,5 at Leicester.It was keeping the ball out was the problem which is why Xhaka may end up being our best bit of business this summer.

Billy Goat Sverige
08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Yeah, because players are only any good if they are REALLY EXPENSIVE. Rob Holding must be a terrible, terrible footballer if he only cost £2m. If only there was a manager with, say, 20 years history of regularly getting superb value in the transfer market.

Also completely ignores the fact Perez had a release clause set at £17m. What we paid and what his true value is are not necessarily the same.

Brentwood
08-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Also completely ignores the fact Perez had a release clause set at £17m. What we paid and what his true value is are not necessarily the same.

My FCB supporting friend thinks he'll be a better fit for our team than Alexis was