PDA

View Full Version : You know this new bloody great airship thing?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
08-24-2016, 12:34 PM
It's crashed on its second flight :hehe:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-crash-airlander-idUSKCN10Z1F9?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuter s+World+News%29

Ash
08-24-2016, 12:39 PM
No. I don't know this new bloody great airship thing. Is it the Hindenburg again?

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
08-24-2016, 12:41 PM
No. I don't know this new bloody great airship thing. Is it the Hindenburg again?
No. A white elephant in more ways than one it seems.
Btw I got your Caretaker reference yesterday...excellent stuff.

barrybueno
08-24-2016, 12:44 PM
What a **** idea they've always been. Great for the muzzies tho, could bring that down with a catapult :hehe:

Sir C
08-24-2016, 12:45 PM
No. A white elephant in more ways than one it seems.

I'm not sure that a mishap on its second trial flight is reason to write it off as a white elephant, tbh.

It being a great big fat slow cow and abhorrent to Sky Gods - there's a reason to write it off as a white elephant.

Ash
08-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Thanks, 71. :thumbup:

I was hoping that Mo would have acknowledged it, seeing as he seemed to be angling for it.

Burney
08-24-2016, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure that a mishap on its second trial flight is reason to write it off as a white elephant, tbh.

It being a great big fat slow cow and abhorrent to Sky Gods - there's a reason to write it off as a white elephant.

It also looks like a bit buttocky. Also, how do you crash an airship? Surely the whole point of them is that airborne is their default position?

Sir C
08-24-2016, 01:24 PM
It also looks like a bit buttocky. Also, how do you crash an airship? Surely the whole point of them is that airborne is their default position?

I suspect that once they're moving in a certain direction it takes a while to persuade them to change. I don't know, though.

Silly bloody thing if you ask me.

Burney
08-24-2016, 01:25 PM
I suspect that once they're moving in a certain direction it takes a while to persuade them to change. I don't know, though.

Silly bloody thing if you ask me.

Yes. No-one's actually offered any explanation as to why a new, really slow mode of transport might be desirable.

Sir C
08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Yes. No-one's actually offered any explanation as to why a new, really slow mode of transport might be desirable.

A potential use I heard bandied was 'troop carrying'. Now I'm no military tactician, but surely a slow, unwieldy, vulnerable vehicle is just about the last mode of transport appropriate to a war zone?

Ash
08-24-2016, 01:30 PM
A potential use I heard bandied was 'troop carrying'. Now I'm no military tactician, but surely a slow, unwieldy, vulnerable vehicle is just about the last mode of transport appropriate to a war zone?

Perhaps the idea is not to emphasise that point as you are selling them to a future enemy.

Burney
08-24-2016, 01:33 PM

Maybe you could camouflage it as a cloud?

TheCurly
08-24-2016, 01:58 PM

I'm convinced it's an ark majob to take the 13 families and the rest of the lizards off to the moon when this place goes to ****

Burney
08-24-2016, 02:00 PM
I'm convinced it's an ark majob to take the 13 families and the rest of the lizards off to the moon when this place goes to ****

It can only fit 48 people, c. And **** all animals. Also, it can't get out of Bedfordshire, let alone the atmosphere.

TheCurly
08-24-2016, 02:06 PM
It can only fit 48 people, c. And **** all animals. Also, it can't get out of Bedfordshire, let alone the atmosphere.

Ahhhh that's what they want you to think.Big fúcker has swimming pools and a golf course