PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a poll / open discussion...

ChrisPlus
08-22-2016, 09:51 PM
I want awimb to return to it's former glory - How do I achieve this?

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

I want input from you lot - speak now please - how can it be improved? :rubchin:

Ash
08-22-2016, 10:01 PM

Hosting is becoming super expensive, and frankly if people desert awimb the way they have been doing it'll simply become too expensive to host, and never mind former glory, it'll just disappear.

I know that social media has overtaken forums to a certain extent, but we're better than that aren't we?

I want input from you lot - speak now please - how can it be improved? :rubchin:

I'll chip in a few bob to help keep the auld thing going, if that's any use. :thumbup:

ChrisPlus
08-22-2016, 10:03 PM
I'll chip in a few bob to help keep the auld thing going, if that's any use. :thumbup:

Very generous Ash, but I've never taken money off anyone yet and I don't want to start now :-)

eastgermanautos
08-22-2016, 10:19 PM
Very generous Ash, but I've never taken money off anyone yet and I don't want to start now :-)

Chris+ !! We appreciate your efforts. If there's one thing we need it's a return to a robust tree view. It's too much effort to enter every little thread. We lose the wit, the wisdom, the lunchtime menus. Little help bro. And if there is a little expense maybe we can shake out a few pennies for it. :thumb up:

Ash
08-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Ah, well. In which case I'm fresh out of ideas. Social media has in many cases reduced activity on the old forums and I don't think it's reversable. A few posters have seemingly returned in recent days, and maybe if AW starts doing silly walks up and down the touchline at Watford, who knows?

People will demand the tree view back and so on, but I don't know if it makes much difference. Smileys in the title line might help a bit though.

eastgermanautos
08-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Ah, well. In which case I'm fresh out of ideas. Social media has in many cases reduced activity on the old forums and I don't think it's reversable. A few posters have seemingly returned in recent days, and maybe if AW starts doing silly walks up and down the touchline at Watford, who knows?

People will demand the tree view back and so on, but I don't know if it makes much difference. Smileys in the title line might help a bit though.

Don't listen to him, Chris. It's treeview or bust.

Ash
08-22-2016, 10:27 PM
Don't listen to him, Chris. It's treeview or bust.

It's not, though. It's faster reading threads on here where people quote than it was to click every reply in the old world.

eastgermanautos
08-22-2016, 10:32 PM
It's not, though. It's faster reading threads on here where people quote than it was to click every reply in the old world.

100% disagree. You have these little pokey threads. You have to scroll down, you can't see people's messages. It was fun just to be able to canvas what all people were saying. Now you have to subscribe. More active, rather than just being a happy veg. :-)

Ash
08-22-2016, 11:43 PM
100% disagree. You have these little pokey threads. You have to scroll down, you can't see people's messages. It was fun just to be able to canvas what all people were saying. Now you have to subscribe. More active, rather than just being a happy veg. :-)

Have to subscribe? Not sure what you mean there, ega. I just click on a thread and can read it all with a touch of a scroll wheel and, if we're lucky, a click on a next page number. Less clicks than in the old world where you what to locate and click on each post in the tree. :shrug:

Ash
08-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Have to subscribe? Not sure what you mean there, ega. I just click on a thread and can read it all with a touch of a scroll wheel and, if we're lucky, a click on a next page number. Less clicks than in the old world where you what to locate and click on each post in the tree. :shrug:

The benefit of all the clicking was the punchline aspect of seeing a title and then having to work to see the body text. tbf this could work and much of the AWIMB style and humour used this. I don't think this describes what you're missing though.

eastgermanautos
08-23-2016, 12:22 AM
Subscribing is simply clicking on the thread. But you don't know the content of the thread; it's too participatory to have to seek it out. You should just be able to let it all wash over you. Tree view innit.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
08-23-2016, 07:33 AM

It isn't the new format - people get used to change. As Ash says bringing back treeview won't make much difference. People did have trouble with their logins after the change despite your sticky and some may have disappeared for good because of that.

I think moderating the spammers would help a little bit. There were a few more mods on the old board and stuff usually got dealt with quickly - takes days on here sometimes.

Other than that - perhaps there is a slight feeling of malaise? Not just Arsenal but football in general - the PL is just so much overkill these days...no real break, constant crap on social media and the tv. I dunno, perhaps I'm just getting old but the spark just isn't there any more and even if AW had broken the bank I don't think it would make bugger all difference.

Lastly, get rid of the sweary filter for ****s sake :-)

Burney
08-23-2016, 08:23 AM

Perhaps I'm being defeatist, but I think it may just have run its course.
We've had people grow up on this board (sort of). We've seen RickyG and Billy Goats Mates transform from callow youths to responsible parental units, we've seen people go through marriages, divorces and all sorts - we've even seen Fash settle down! And inevitably as those life things happen, people will tend to drift away. The problem is that, whereas in the old days new blood would come on here, nowadays a message board is bound to look hopelessly outdated to kids who've grown up with snapchat, Instagram et al and they're not going to come through.
In addition, this board's fortunes have very much mirrored Wenger's career arc with us. Its peak was during his peak as manager and, as our fortunes have declined relatively, so has interest and participation in the board. There simply isn't the buzz around talking about an Arsenal in relative doldrums that there was about talking about one that on occasion looked like the best domestic English side any of us had ever seen.
So yes, I do think perhaps we're seeing the natural decline and likely death of AWIMB. It's not been killed by anything, it's just had its time.

TheCurly
08-23-2016, 09:15 AM

I tend to disagree with the social media thing.
I log on to Facebook in 10 minute spats and let's face it Twitter has become one big market place with people selling their wares.So I think a forum still has relevancy.
I would look at the "lurker" angle and encourage them to join in.I mean,who logs on to a forum and has no urge to join in and voice their opinion?
Perhaps put a temporary ban (a day/a week) on lurkers that don't post?

Sir C
08-23-2016, 09:21 AM
I tend to disagree with the social media thing.
I log on to Facebook in 10 minute spats and let's face it Twitter has become one big market place with people selling their wares.So I think a forum still has relevancy.
I would look at the "lurker" angle and encourage them to join in.I mean,who logs on to a forum and has no urge to join in and voice their opinion?
Perhaps put a temporary ban (a day/a week) on lurkers that don't post?

Yesterday a chap posted 'Is it worth me participating or is it a closed shop?' and I wondered whether we do appear cliquey to lurkers. We have mainly known each other for donkey's years, after all. But then I thought, nah, it's always been like that.

Maybe people just don't dive in like they used to? Perhaps they need an invitation?

Pat Vegas
08-23-2016, 09:26 AM

I think it may just be a sign of the times. For instance for myself I don't even really look on facebook much anymore. It may just be getting older but I am not sure.

but I would like the place to be a bit more user friendly especially with the adverts. I know they are needed but it if you don't have an ad blocker installed in makes the place annoying. And as easy as it is to install one people don't want to.

also when looking at it from a phone it's annoying at the forum jumps about and i end up clicking on ads all the time that opens up videos.

Fast Eddie
08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
I think emailing those who didn't make it over giving them help on doing so and explaining on how to remove the ads or banners that clutter the forum etc and also those who were hounded out and bullied, like Jorge and even GSTB, who suffered horrendous abuse, having a zero-tolerance policy on blatant racism and wishing death/cancer on people would make it a more accommodating place.

Also is there any promotion or social media sites that this forum is linked to? Maybe having a twitter account and promoting the forum that way. As for the lay-out I think it's OK.

Burney
08-23-2016, 09:28 AM
Yesterday a chap posted 'Is it worth me participating or is it a closed shop?' and I wondered whether we do appear cliquey to lurkers. We have mainly known each other for donkey's years, after all. But then I thought, nah, it's always been like that.

Maybe people just don't dive in like they used to? Perhaps they need an invitation?

I think we're like a Desmond's-style West Indian barber shop. Everyone in here clearly knows one another and keeps rehearsing the same old themes, indulging in the in-jokes and generally having the same old discussions and arguments. However, that's probably quite intimidating to any potential new bod and they consequently shy away.

In the old days, there were more voices on here, so it was easier for new people to join in as they could slip in almost unnoticed amidst all the noise. Now if we have a new person, they are instantly scrutinised.

Maybe the best thing would be if the likes of us ****ed off and allowed new voices to emerge?

TheCurly
08-23-2016, 09:35 AM
I think we're like a Desmond's-style West Indian barber shop. Everyone in here clearly knows one another and keeps rehearsing the same old themes, indulging in the in-jokes and generally having the same old discussions and arguments. However, that's probably quite intimidating to any potential new bod and they consequently shy away.

In the old days, there were more voices on here, so it was easier for new people to join in as they could slip in almost unnoticed amidst all the noise. Now if we have a new person, they are instantly scrutinised.

Maybe the best thing would be if the likes of us ****ed off and allowed new voices to emerge?

Just had a quick look...there are 68 people viewing this forum as we speak.Take away the half dozen or so that are posting and you have 60 people interested in the Arsenal but for some reason won't join in.Personally I don't understand why,surely it can't be because they're frightened of someone calling them a ****?

Pat Vegas
08-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Just had a quick look...there are 68 people viewing this forum as we speak.Take away the half dozen or so that are posting and you have 60 people interested in the Arsenal but for some reason won't join in.Personally I don't understand why,surely it can't be because they're frightened of someone calling them a ****?

On a separate note. Not 1 but 2 f ucking stickys! It's almost like they want Wenger to leave now.

TheCurly
08-23-2016, 09:41 AM
On a separate note. Not 1 but 2 f ucking stickys! It's almost like they want Wenger to leave now.

Yeah,****s on here having a dig at young Theo when the guy can actually help you win a VIP experience.Shocking seens.

TheCurly
08-23-2016, 09:43 AM
Anyway,lurkers! What would YOU like to see changed/improved?

Awimb
08-23-2016, 09:44 AM

A recent returners perspective. Was a lurker many years ago who enjoyed reading the interaction, later became an infrequent poster , before the format change seems as if things were already on a downward spiral- very few active posters. Log in problems meant I stopped even lurking and coming back yesterday not much had changed. Only solution is more posters =more traffic= hopefully more revenue. As Sir C says above, an invite to join might resurrect a few people. Would it be possible to email all members (active or not ) including from the old awimb if these email details still available?? A link to new log in maybe ( registration yesterday was very quick and painless )
Only other thought is posiibly increasing Twitter and/or Facebook profile. Does Awimb have a Twitter profile?? I recall Arseblog was once a member and I have seen him talking to Headgear on Twitter about those long gone days- a recommendation from some such person could quickly have positive results on membership. Hope Awimb continues for years to come

SWv2
08-23-2016, 09:49 AM
I think you need to look at improving the overall user interface which in turn would lead to a better customer experience.

For example it would be nice when you log in each morning for Awimb to recognise this and automatically launch into Art School by The Jam. Think about it, you log in and “1,2,3,4 …”.

And swearing needs to be allowed.

Jorge also. He’s an Apple loving venn diagram drawing extreme hipster spod but of crucial importance he is our Apple loving venn diagram loving extreme hipster spod. I would suggest sending a packet of single origin fair trade coffee to Bradford in a peace making effort to get him back.

I can imagine the lad sat in Yorkshire as the transfer window get closes to slamming shut and the list of obscure unheard of solutions he had on the tip of his tongue, or mouse.

Just a thought.

Let me know if you need further help.

Less poncey Dutch people also.

TheCurly
08-23-2016, 09:52 AM
I think you need to look at improving the overall user interface which in turn would lead to a better customer experience.

For example it would be nice when you log in each morning for Awimb to recognise this and automatically launch into Art School by The Jam. Think about it, you log in and “1,2,3,4 …”.

Jorge also. He’s an Apple loving venn diagram drawing extreme hipster spod but of crucial importance he is our Apple loving venn diagram loving extreme hipster spod. I would suggest sending a packet of single origin fair trade coffee to Bradford in a peace making effort to get him back.

I can imagine the lad sat in Yorkshire as the transfer window get closes to slamming shut and the list of obscure unheard of solutions he had on the tip of his tongue, or mouse.

Just a thought.

A celebrity awimber :nod: Throw an email to Spike Lee and get him to join.He could regale us with tales of the hood.

Sir C
08-23-2016, 09:55 AM

Just a thought.

It is this sort of vicious personal abuse which has killed the board.

I hope you're pleased with what you have done, sw.

#flounce

SWv2
08-23-2016, 09:59 AM
It is this sort of vicious personal abuse which has killed the board.

I hope you're pleased with what you have done, sw.

#flounce

Eh, I thought you were Irish these days.

SWv2
08-23-2016, 10:03 AM
A celebrity awimber :nod: Throw an email to Spike Lee and get him to join.He could regale us with tales of the hood.

For hood related tales we could just get that enormous ****ing eejit Bummell back. He was quite gangster, or perhaps gangsta is the correct term.

Burney
08-23-2016, 10:09 AM
Eh, I thought you were Irish these days.

I hear you've all been being racist to some fat black lass? The poor Guardian's very confused. Irish people being racist does not compute for your average British lefty. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/23/black-woman-inundated-racist-trolls-abuse-twitter-ireland

Sir C
08-23-2016, 10:11 AM
I hear you've all been being racist to some fat black lass? The poor Guardian's very confused. Irish people being racist does not compute for your average British lefty. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/23/black-woman-inundated-racist-trolls-abuse-twitter-ireland

The real mind fúck for them must be that she is British, and therefore deserving of a damned good racist kicking... :hehe:

Burney
08-23-2016, 10:23 AM
The real mind fúck for them must be that she is British, and therefore deserving of a damned good racist kicking... :hehe:

Yes. While one can only abhor some of the things that have been said to the poor girl, it's always rather satisfying to see a bit of tokenistic, identity politics bull**** blow up in the faces of the perpetrators. :hehe:

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 11:31 AM
Tree view.

Clamping down on gratuitous insults of other posters.

Stopping the hijacking of threads. Even this one has been hijacked. some people only want to talk about themselves not about Arsenal. You need more hands-on moderation to delete irrelevant posts.

Invite existing members to post and do a bit of PR on Facebook or Twitter or wherever and when new members join (or old members come up with yet another character) treat them with a modicum of politeness.

Sir C
08-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Tree view.

Clamping down on gratuitous insults of other posters.

Stopping the hijacking of threads. Even this one has been hijacked. some people only want to talk about themselves not about Arsenal. You need more hands-on moderation to delete irrelevant posts.

Invite existing members to post and do a bit of PR on Facebook or Twitter or wherever and when new members join (or old members come up with yet another character) treat them with a modicum of politeness.

Isn't 'thread hijacking' just another term for 'conversation'?

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Isn't 'thread hijacking' just another term for 'conversation'?

Not when someone asks "do you know what time the game is on" and you get a reply "the other day I had a rather wonderful Chateauneuf-du-Pape".

Sir C
08-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Not when someone asks "do you know what time the game is on" and you get a reply "the other day I had a rather wonderful Chateauneuf-du-Pape".

I'm very much a Claret man, myself.

Burney
08-23-2016, 11:41 AM

How is that hijacking? It doesn't stop you talking about everything you want to talk about while allowing others to discuss something quite different if they so desire. If enough people care about what both people are talking about, two or more conversations can happily co-exist within one thread. You seem to see such tangents as being somehow intrusive, while your apparent desire to maintain one-track conversations comes across as oddly exclusive.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 11:44 AM
How is that hijacking? It doesn't stop you talking about everything you want to talk about while allowing others to discuss something quite different if they so desire. If enough people care about what both people are talking about, two or more conversations can happily co-exist within one thread. You seem to see such tangents as being somehow intrusive, while your apparent desire to maintain one-track conversations comes across as oddly exclusive.

Not at all. There are times when you want to shoot the breeze and there are times when you want to discuss something concrete. There is nothing to stop you ignoring a post which doesn't interest you and then start a new thread to discuss what you actually want to talk about.

Burney
08-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Not at all. There are times when you want to shoot the breeze and there are times when you want to discuss something concrete. There is nothing to stop you ignoring a post which doesn't interest you and then start a new thread to discuss what you actually want to talk about.

When you say 'you', you mean 'I', don't you? Why are you trying to impose your rigid conversational rules on the rest of us? When you're in a conversation with several people, do you get cross and shout at them if they start to go off on a tangent? Or do you accept that that just happens to be how normal human discourse works?

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Sometimes when I say "you" I mean "I" and sometimes a cigar is just a pipe. If you go to buy a train ticket would you welcome the guy behind the counter giving you his views on the Schleswig-Holstein question instead of a single to Sidcup?

Sir C
08-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Sometimes when I say "you" I mean "I" and sometimes a cigar is just a pipe. If you go to buy a train ticket would you welcome the guy behind the counter giving you his views on the Schleswig-Holstein question instead of a single to Sidcup?

You can use your Oyster card to get to Sidcup, Mo.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Et tu, Sir C? I would have thought you were the one person on this board who'd have got that reference.

Burney
08-23-2016, 11:58 AM

So you see conversation as a transactional process? How odd. You think that, merely by the fact of you saying one thing, that obliges all other interlocutors to speak only to that and nothing else?

Sir C
08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Et tu, Sir C? I would have thought you were the one person on this board who'd have got that reference.

I'm being a bit slow, aren't I? :-(

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 12:00 PM
So you see conversation as a transactional process? How odd. You think that, merely by the fact of you saying one thing, that obliges all other interlocutors to speak only to that and nothing else?

May I suggest that what you're doing here is actually hijacking a thread which Chris has started to try and get views on how to improve awimb?

Burney
08-23-2016, 12:00 PM

You can walk to Sidcup

Sir C
08-23-2016, 12:01 PM
You can walk to Sidcup

No point now the banh mi shop has closed :-(

Ash
08-23-2016, 12:13 PM

As soon as I get some new shoes I'll walk to Sidcup to get my papers.

Fast Eddie
08-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Bang on.

This was actually a very useful tactic deployed by the clique to stifle debate and criticisms of Arsene FC. Threads would be spammed and trolled to death so it was job-done for the Wengerite hijackers.

And as you rightly said, already this thread has been hijacked. I mentioned that racism/race-bating was out of hand on this forum then within minutes we had trolls hijacking and going off-topic with irrelevant racism on twitter, which was actually an own goal by the Empire Brits as the sympathy and condemnation came from Irish twitter users and the tweets that the link had on the page were by users from America and beyond :hehe:

All this actually means is that to improve the forum to be better civilised and more accommodating means certain people would have to look at their own oafish behaviour hence their hijacking.

Burney
08-23-2016, 12:31 PM
May I suggest that what you're doing here is actually hijacking a thread which Chris has started to try and get views on how to improve awimb?

Errrr, no. I'm disagreeing with you. But I'm guessing that, as a keen conversation Nazi, you don't allow that either :hehe:

TheCurly
08-23-2016, 01:07 PM
I think it's a bit much that Old 'Un+ has awarded his own thread 5 gold stars tbh

Burney
08-23-2016, 01:09 PM
I think it's a bit much that Old 'Un+ has awarded his own thread 5 gold stars tbh

Stop hijacking the thread, c!

ArseMart - Enjoy every sandwich
08-23-2016, 01:10 PM

The ****ing transfer policy of the club for starters

Sir C
08-23-2016, 01:12 PM
The ****ing transfer policy of the club for starters

:clap: "Look mate, what exactly do you want?"

08-23-2016, 02:09 PM
:clap: "Look mate, what exactly do you want?"

Fun times. But maybe that's the problem. We had that conversation 5 years ago and we're still having it now. Maybe B is right and there's not much to talk about with Arsenal at the moment. Same old **** going on and you're either OK with it or you're not. Nobody's changing horses at this stage in the race.

Maybe that's the best argument for a new manager. At least we'd have some new **** to moan about and/or defend.

I agree with Mo that maybe taking Arsenal related threads off at a tangent might discourage new posters. That's where the tree view was good as you could just concentrate on the bit you were interested in.

I also agree with Berni that this was always a full on forum. It pushed the boundaries but we're all adults so you should be able to deal with that without shouting "I'm being bullied online". If you think that then frankly you need to get a grip.

Finally I can't access the site at work anymore. :sadface:

Sir C
08-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Fun times. But maybe that's the problem. We had that conversation 5 years ago and we're still having it now. Maybe B is right and there's not much to talk about with Arsenal at the moment. Same old **** going on and you're either OK with it or you're not. Nobody's changing horses at this stage in the race.

Maybe that's the best argument for a new manager. At least we'd have some new **** to moan about and/or defend.

I agree with Mo that maybe taking Arsenal related threads off at a tangent might discourage new posters. That's where the tree view was good as you could just concentrate on the bit you were interested in.

I also agree with Berni that this was always a full on forum. It pushed the boundaries but we're all adults so you should be able to deal with that without shouting "I'm being bullied online". If you think that then frankly you need to get a grip.

Finally I can't access the site at work anymore. :sadface:

But apart from all that, family good?

08-23-2016, 02:23 PM
But apart from all that, family good?

All well thanks mate. 8, 5 and 2 now.....all growing up fast. Lyns good as well. In Kos at the moment sitting on a sunbed so all in all things are OK.

How's V?

Sir C
08-23-2016, 02:25 PM
All well thanks mate. 8, 5 and 2 now.....all growing up fast. Lyns good as well. In Kos at the moment sitting on a sunbed so all in all things are OK.

How's V?

All good thanks mate. I've been chatting to t today, he's off on holiday to a place in France I know well. Haven't heard from dm or 2 in ages though.

AFC East
08-23-2016, 02:56 PM

It doesn't really seem to be a place for discussing football. Was it in its former glory?

Seems fine if you are a long term poster, but no reason for someone new to contribute.

08-23-2016, 03:08 PM
As soon as I get some new shoes I'll walk to Sidcup to get my papers.
I got it. Classic.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Eddie, I don't often often agree with you but you're bang on here. We don't have to agree with each other but let'shave proper threads with people having different opinions. And if you don't agree with an opinion. that's cool. But let people have their say.

And no, I am not a Nazi just because I happen not to be Jewish. Anymore than I blame Jewish people in the 21st century for what Joshua did to the Canaanites.

Fast Eddie
08-23-2016, 06:21 PM
Eddie, I don't often often agree with you but you're bang on here. We don't have to agree with each other but let'shave proper threads with people having different opinions. And if you don't agree with an opinion. that's cool. But let people have their say.

And no, I am not a Nazi just because I happen not to be Jewish. Anymore than I blame Jewish people in the 21st century for what Joshua did to the Canaanites.

100%

I've lost count of how many threads started of well intentioned then in the 6th or 7th post someone (always nearly the same people) go off topic in the most random manner. By then the thread is ruined and there's no point of even looking at it again. It isn't fair on the other users who want a fair debate and not hijackers hijacking with crap that is probably meant for PMs. Basically attention seeking.

C&B
08-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Awimb does seem a 9-5pm, Mondays to Fridays only place these days. It never used to be like this. It had a thriving evening shift that would either pick up on the daily topics or bring new topics to the table. In turn this often gave posters material the next day to run with. Being mainly an office hours site these days naturally those who can post within these hours dominate and with falling numbers it can look conversations more suited to PM at times. Not the fault of those posters mind if others don't join in.

I would agree that Arsenal debate is limited now. People have pretty entrenched views and any criticism of Wenger or the club is usually jumped on and the debate ends. This applies both ways of course with anyone being too pro-Wenger. Worth saying that this is just the same on Twitter and other media. We are where we are I guess with Arsenal.

i don't know, maybe Bernie is right and the youth team is just not producing the next generation coming through anymore.

Maravilloso Marvo
08-24-2016, 11:30 AM

I'm happy to state that the reason I left the board was purely down to Berni/Burney. And judging by a thread I saw the other day, I am not the only one.

I agree completely with those making the point that taking threads off on a tangent and two people having a chat that is best suited to PM is not how a modern day forum successfully runs. It was fine back in the olden days when there were enough active posters to sustain that, but those days have gone now. New posters will only join and become active if threads are well maintained. Threads are not a conversation like in the real world, they are a discussion on a topic created by the OP. If you want to talk about something off topic, start a new thread.

I used to use Awimb back in the early days to hear news first (this was where I first heard TH had signed for Barcelona). Those days have gone due to social media, but that doesn't mean online forums don't still have a place, they just need to evolve. I just hope Awimb didn't spend too long on outdated technology, losing its way and is now beyond saving.

Burney
08-24-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm happy to state that the reason I left the board was purely down to Berni/Burney. And judging by a thread I saw the other day, I am not the only one.

I agree completely with those making the point that taking threads off on a tangent and two people having a chat that is best suited to PM is not how a modern day forum successfully runs. It was fine back in the olden days when there were enough active posters to sustain that, but those days have gone now. New posters will only join and become active if threads are well maintained. Threads are not a conversation like in the real world, they are a discussion on a topic created by the OP. If you want to talk about something off topic, start a new thread.

I used to use Awimb back in the early days to hear news first (this was where I first heard TH had signed for Barcelona). Those days have gone due to social media, but that doesn't mean online forums don't still have a place, they just need to evolve. I just hope Awimb didn't spend too long on outdated technology, losing its way and is now beyond saving.

Was this the time I bullied you by making you obsessively accuse me of being modd and then you got embarrassed when you realised what a prick you'd made of yourself and ran away and hid like a precious little snowflake?

Ash
08-24-2016, 11:57 AM
New posters will only join and become active if threads are well maintained. Threads are not a conversation like in the real world, they are a discussion on a topic created by the OP. If you want to talk about something off topic, start a new thread.

Heavily modded (did you see what I did there?) forums where posts off topic to a thread are removed and culprits threatened with bans and so on are dull as **** though. Implementing such a regime would probably kill the place off completely, even if I would prefer not to have advanced foodcùntery threadjacks all over the place.

I do take the point about the old treeview making it easier to ignore the threadjacks though. I already miss ignoring BGM and LA's rugby threadjacks.

Maravilloso Marvo
08-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Heavily modded (did you see what I did there?) forums where posts off topic to a thread are removed and culprits threatened with bans and so on are dull as **** though. Implementing such a regime would probably kill the place off completely, even if I would prefer not to have advanced foodcùntery threadjacks all over the place.

I do take the point about the old treeview making it easier to ignore the threadjacks though. I already miss ignoring BGM and LA's rugby threadjacks.

I know what you mean completely but AWIMB doesn't have the numbers (for one reason or another) to sustain threads going off on a tangent anymore and it is putting off new members joining. Take a look at any other forum on any topic on the internet and the successful ones are well modded. If Chris wants to increase numbers and make it self sustaining, that is the only way to go. If Berni and Sir C want to discuss what they had for dinner with a few others hanging on, set up a Whatsapp group.

And yes Treeview did mean you could ignore the hijacks unless they seemed interesting. But again, take a look out there, no forums use that style anymore.

Ash
08-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I know what you mean completely but AWIMB doesn't have the numbers (for one reason or another) to sustain threads going off on a tangent anymore and it is putting off new members joining. Take a look at any other forum on any topic on the internet and the successful ones are well modded. If Chris wants to increase numbers and make it self sustaining, that is the only way to go. If Berni and Sir C want to discuss what they had for dinner with a few others hanging on, set up a Whatsapp group.

And yes Treeview did mean you could ignore the hijacks unless they seemed interesting. But again, take a look out there, no forums use that style anymore.

I don't know how you can be so sure that threadjacking "is putting off new members joining". Is there any real evidence for this? (and please don't create a character to come on and pretend to be evidence).

Also, what's Whatsapp? :old: I've heard of it - one of those ghastly gimmicks that the kids are using on their portable telephones, I gather. But how does it differ from the rest of the ocean of awful that is social media?

ChrisPlus
08-24-2016, 01:15 PM
OK - Any volunteers for moderating duties? :sherlock:

Sir C
08-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Will you be issuing guidelines to such mods, c?

Burney
08-24-2016, 01:34 PM

I'd be happy to. However, since I seem to be Public Enemy No 1 among various parties, I'm not sure how well it would go down :hehe:

Ash
08-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Will you be issuing guidelines to such mods, c?

A good point. Will mods be policing civil behaviour,or subject integrity? And what are the roolz? Of course, in Headgear's day it was simple. I AM THE LAW!

Burney
08-24-2016, 02:31 PM
A good point. Will mods be policing civil behaviour,or subject integrity? And what are the roolz? Of course, in Headgear's day it was simple. I AM THE LAW!

Quite. If I don't have the right to wield arbitrary, capricious and summary justice to wrongdoers, I'm frankly not interested, tbh. :-(

Sir C
08-24-2016, 02:34 PM

Yes, those of us who were mods on the old board relied on our own judgement and discretion; if this thread has exposed an overwhelming demand for stricter moderation on grounds such as topicality, some guidelines will be required.

Burney
08-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Yes, those of us who were mods on the old board relied on our own judgement and discretion; if this thread has exposed an overwhelming demand for stricter moderation on grounds such as topicality, some guidelines will be required.

Hang on, isn't this discussion already off-topic?

*EDIT* Just realised that asking that question is off-topic and could be seen as an attempt to hijack the thread.

It's a fúckin' minefield, innit? :hehe:

Ash
08-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Hang on, isn't this discussion already off-topic?

*EDIT* Just realised that asking that question is off-topic and could be seen as an attempt to hijack the thread.

It's a fúckin' minefield, innit? :hehe:

And yet this is probably one of the longer threads of the week - and it has featured posts from departed souls. Perhaps all threads should be stickies?

Burney
08-24-2016, 02:46 PM
And yet this is probably one of the longer threads of the week - and it has featured posts from departed souls. Perhaps all threads should be stickies?

Indeed. Perhaps the fact that it's headed 'open discussion' rather than 'incredibly narrow discussion on a single topic' has helped? ;-)

TheCurly
08-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Indeed. Perhaps the fact that it's headed 'open discussion' rather than 'incredibly narrow discussion on a single topic' has helped? ;-)

What if everyone had the power to moderate only a thread they have started? That way they can keep it open to include all comments or delete off-topicers?

Burney
08-24-2016, 03:05 PM
What if everyone had the power to moderate only a thread they have started? That way they can keep it open to include all comments or delete off-topicers?

The thread Nazis would have little truck with your unique brand of tangential whimsy I fear, c. You'd be moderated to **** under the New Arsenal World Order. :-(

ChrisPlus
08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Cheers Burney - I'll organise it. Perhaps Sir C would also like to moderate?

With regard to guidelines - I'll think on it, but obviously the usual indiscretions like racism / sexism etc.etc. will have to be applied.

Is there any mileage in having an 'off topic' type section for non-footie talk?

Pat Vegas
08-24-2016, 07:48 PM
Yes please I am always around. And whilst I used to fly off the handle I would be fair and impartial

Mo Britain less Europe
08-24-2016, 07:49 PM
With all due respect if Burney is given the power to moderate threads according to his intransigent ideas on what a conversation should be ie whatever he is interested in discussing irrelevant of what anyone else wants to talk about - you may as well close the board now.

Just look at the sniping and sidetracking on this thread. It's his way or no way.

Fast Eddie
08-24-2016, 09:00 PM

With regard to guidelines - I'll think on it, but obviously the usual indiscretions like racism / sexism etc.etc. will have to be applied.

Burney and Sir C as mods? They are two cheeks of the same arse. They follow each other around like lapdogs and have similar xenophobic political/worldview. They are the two that ruin threads with their hijacking and engage in race-baiting. Uber Brit Supremacists. All this makes it easier for them to play to their agenda and conflict of interest.

As for an off topic section I wouldn't recommend it.

Sir C
08-24-2016, 09:03 PM

Happy to help, chief.

Burney
08-24-2016, 09:07 PM

Delighted to help. Joking aside, I'm happy to abide by whatever people want. My view is that most people like being able to say what they want to say wherever they want, but I'm hardly going to go to war about it.

Burney
08-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Mo, my dear chap. Calm yourself. I am a unity candidate.

Mo Britain less Europe
08-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Mo, my dear chap. Calm yourself. I am a unity candidate.

You should read this history of Sicily I'm currently reading, it's rather good actually.

TheCurly
08-25-2016, 07:12 AM
Burney and Sir C as mods? They are two cheeks of the same arse. They follow each other around like lapdogs and have similar xenophobic political/worldview. They are the two that ruin threads with their hijacking and engage in race-baiting. Uber Brit Supremacists. All this makes it easier for them to play to their agenda and conflict of interest.

As for an off topic section I wouldn't recommend it.

Sorry mate but that's a load of balls or as I like to call it "your opinion".You have every right to think that but we also have the right to think not.That's the way a democracy works.

Burney
08-25-2016, 08:12 AM
You should read this history of Sicily I'm currently reading, it's rather good actually.

I read John Julius Norwich's one recently. That was a rather good romp through 3,000 years of history.

BerneyWIMB
08-25-2016, 10:57 AM

It can be improved by reducing burney's posting quota to less than 500 a day.
His toxic presence has exceeded saturation levels , destroying AWIMB with his caustic comments.
If you do want more clicks , members and revenue you must address and act on the burney issue urgently as he is the master of anti-recruitment.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-25-2016, 11:49 PM

Ok, as a lurker since dial up days:

1. Tree view was much better. Every night I could scroll down and appreciate the one-liner jokes and still find the posts I wanted to dip inside.
2. Even though I mostly read at night, so there wasn't much point in replying, I could find things and reply to people by PM. I can't find that now. But I used to have PM conversations one post each per day with people like Jorge and Herbie - not great for the board, I accept, but I enjoyed it.
3. Personally, I liked Jorge. I miss him.
4. Yes, it is cliquey for outsiders. I could post something and see it ignored. {I dunno - Feo not squaring it in the 80th min} A couple of posts later, one of the in crowd would say exactly the same thing and it gets ten replies in ten mins. Am I really gonna join that thread when those ten people have made it clear that they will only discuss said Feo ****up with their mates, not with me?
5. Though since the board's died, I now to get replies. I've had more replies in the last 2 months than I have all century. Perhaps the in crowd should have treated the many other like me as they now do as opposed to ignoring us all until there were only half a dozen people left.
6. Yes the AW/Septic owner disaster is to blame. Everyone's depressed by it. cf that eternally optimistic paddy blogger. Even he's now saying what I've been moaning about the yank ****ing the club. If we'd bought a worldie this summer there would be more traffic. I reckon we know this season is over all ready and that this may be the end - it's certainly not gonna be 1998-2006 again for a while.
7. Thread hijacks. Even now, when I do get replies, I'll post. {Unfortunately, as as lurker who never used to get any replies, I still often forget to check to see if anyone has responded.} Now I do, eg half an hour after my post, I'll have say 10 replies. {10 more than I used to get, I admit.} First 3 will be about the subject and then it's 2 people talking about what wine goes with what they're eating that night. No point in me joining in - I like food and wine, but it's clear the thread is now for them, not me.
8. I dunno much about social media - I don't use twitter or facebook etc - so I'm not the one to say if this is killing forums. All I do know is that last April, some mid-table team beat/drew with Sperz meaning their title bid was ****ed. WBA I think. I went to their forum {bit brown nosed, I admit} to say "well done lads, I saw you beat us 3-2 at ours a few years back but I don't begrudge you now cos you've ****ed up the Sperz. Respect" I had about 40 replies that night. And there were hundreds of other posts replies. Do they not have blogs and social media too?
9. When I pointed that out here, someone said its cos all Arsenal fans have moved to commenting on blogs. So I went to Arseblog to see if this was true - yes hundreds of comments {called Arses} but nothing like the conversation you used to get here. Can't believe people have switched from here to Arseblog. It's not the same at all.
10. So old people leaving and not being replaced has become a viscous circle. More leave, fewer join. Repeat ad infinitum. It feels cliquey to outsiders, the team is on a downward spiral, no PM, no nightshift, no treeview, thread hijacks, no replies but the same post will be replied to if made by one of the in crowd, many of the best posters going with no-one welcomed as a replacement, etc etc.

That's just the take of this lurker.

Hope it all works out cos I've enjoyed it, but I do reckon the club is in the worst place it could be. If we dropped to mid table we'd at least have some cup runs/ upsets to look forward to. A regular change over of players. But the yanks owner and AW going mad don't help.

But please tell me cos I was away. What did you lot do to Jorge?

Herbie's barely here anymore. LA may not have liked me much, but at least what he wrote was informative and insightful, and if I posted something intelligent he'd give me a respectful reply. But as a lefty, we needed Jorge to balance the arriviste Tories, and now he's gone political discussion is pointless. "I say, don't you agree that the '97 vintage is the best when eating roast pleb?" "Yes, old boy, but the '98 in the best for feminist tartare" "Your mum"

So anyway, in the unlikely event anyone will reply to me, what happened to J and can I at least PM him somehow to say cheerio?

Fast Eddie
08-26-2016, 07:28 AM
Sorry mate but that's a load of balls or as I like to call it "your opinion".You have every right to think that but we also have the right to think not.That's the way a democracy works.

It's not nonsense when there is ample proof. Any new forum rules on racism and hijacking/off-topic comments would explicitly impact Burney's irrational rantings.

And when a mod has already had a go at him for his abusive behaviour recently it doesn't take a genius to work out he isn't mod material.

Ash
08-26-2016, 12:32 PM
{stuff}

I'm sure I have responded to you quite often, GG--AAFC. Though you do sometimes rant a bit, if I may say so.

If you find it cliquey, it has always been so, and more so in the past because, as you point out, occasional posters stood out less amongst the din. We all get ignored from time to time, but it's hard to become a part of a community if you don't try. Lurking, making the odd post then sulking if it doesn't get the attention you sought might not be the best approach. The quality of posts, rather than their length, can have a lot to do with how they are recieved. Worth thinking about.

To say that it is not worth discussing politics because Jorge is not here seems odd if you tended to agree with him, unless you are one of those who prefer to discuss politics with those who agree with you, rather than disagree. There is a tendancy to big up posters who have left, saying "I hardly ever post, and you lot are all crap anyway, not like good old XZY". Then complain that you don't get attention.

Jorge left after Burnley said something like "Fùck off and die. Seriously" to him.

Pat Vegas
08-26-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm sure I have responded to you quite often, GG--AAFC. Though you do sometimes rant a bit, if I may say so.

If you find it cliquey, it has always been so, and more so in the past because, as you point out, occasional posters stood out less amongst the din. We all get ignored from time to time, but it's hard to become a part of a community if you don't try. Lurking, making the odd post then sulking if it doesn't get the attention you sought might not be the best approach. The quality of posts, rather than their length, can have a lot to do with how they are recieved. Worth thinking about.

To say that it is not worth discussing politics because Jorge is not here seems odd if you tended to agree with him, unless you are one of those who prefer to discuss politics with those who agree with you, rather than disagree. There is a tendancy to big up posters who have left, saying "I hardly ever post, and you lot are all crap anyway, not like good old XZY". Then complain that you don't get attention.

Jorge left after Burnley said something like "Fùck off and die. Seriously" to him.

I think everyone is taking this place way too seriously. Which I was sure guilty of doing in the past. When I first started posting on here people ignored me and thought I was annoying.

Ash
08-26-2016, 01:04 PM
I think everyone is taking this place way too seriously. Which I was sure guilty of doing in the past. When I first started posting on here people ignored me and thought I was annoying.

Right. And most of the occasional posters I take the trouble to talk to just ignore my efforts anyway. :shrug: Like all these gentlemen making helpful kitchen recommendations, and all those keen to discuss the trending topic of GD design. No manners, you see.

08-26-2016, 01:25 PM

Dunno how to cut up a quote so:

1. I know you have been decent. Everyone here has, tbh. It's hard to explain, really. I haven't done good job of it.

2. I'm not ungrateful. I've always been a lurker. The irony is that if I posted at 1am before, it wouldn't be seen. Now with no night shift, people have been taking up my posts the nest day. Seriously, more replies in the last 2 months than all century. It's just we all wish it was like before, don't we?

3. Again, don't take it the wrong way? Where did I say you're all crap? I was still lurking and posting last night, wasn't I? Chris asked what has changed, someone said ask a Lurker, so I replied. Damned if I do, damned if I don't? Just saying what had changed for me.

And again, I'm not complaining I don't get the attention. I get far more than I deserve and everyone is generally both respectful and witty. Why do I still pop in after 15+ years?

4. So J basically flounced?

Ash
08-26-2016, 01:30 PM

No, he just left. To flounce you have to dramatically tell everyone you're leaving and, well, flounce out. Jorge slipped away quietly in the night.

Sir C
08-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Dunno how to cut up a quote so:

1. I know you have been decent. Everyone here has, tbh. It's hard to explain, really. I haven't done good job of it.

2. I'm not ungrateful. I've always been a lurker. The irony is that if I posted at 1am before, it wouldn't be seen. Now with no night shift, people have been taking up my posts the nest day. Seriously, more replies in the last 2 months than all century. It's just we all wish it was like before, don't we?

3. Again, don't take it the wrong way? Where did I say you're all crap? I was still lurking and posting last night, wasn't I? Chris asked what has changed, someone said ask a Lurker, so I replied. Damned if I do, damned if I don't? Just saying what had changed for me.

And again, I'm not complaining I don't get the attention. I get far more than I deserve and everyone is generally both respectful and witty. Why do I still pop in after 15+ years?

Forgive the intrusion, but I find it very hard to believe that j flounced as a result of b giving him both barrels; j has been involved in many, many robust exchanges over the years (haven't we all?) and shrugged them off. I have a sneaking suspicion that he had simply grown tired of casting the radical leftist seed hither and yon only to look in vague for the growth of any seedlings.

Ash
08-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Forgive the intrusion, but I find it very hard to believe that j flounced as a result of b giving him both barrels; j has been involved in many, many robust exchanges over the years (haven't we all?) and shrugged them off. I have a sneaking suspicion that he had simply grown tired of casting the radical leftist seed hither and yon only to look in vague for the growth of any seedlings.

Well, there was a message from him that called us all fascists, about which I am disappoint, but it's always easiest to deal with political differences by shouting 'fascist' at everyone.

Anyway, if he were still here, he could have given us the low-down on these two expected new players, whose careers he will certainly have followed in detail.

Sir C
08-26-2016, 01:45 PM
Well, there was a message from him that called us all fascists, about which I am disappoint, but it's always easiest to deal with political differences by shouting 'fascist' at everyone.

Anyway, if he were still here, he could have given us the low-down on these two expected new players, whose careers he will certainly have followed in detail.

Yes, I have recently been described here as both a 'fascist', and an 'uber Brit supremacist', so I suppose I ought to flounce, really.

I'll give it some thought before deciding.

AFC East
08-26-2016, 02:59 PM

Not sure if this is really the pertinent point to respond to.

I'm not convinced the quality of discussion warrants making an effort. From my limited experience over two periods, debate has a lot of macho posturing and there is little conceding of points. Most importantly it almost always drifts off into something completely unrelated (usually food, yawn) in next to no time.

Ash
08-26-2016, 03:25 PM
Not sure if this is really the pertinent point to respond to.

I'm not convinced the quality of discussion warrants making an effort. From my limited experience over two periods, debate has a lot of macho posturing and there is little conceding of points. Most importantly it almost always drifts off into something completely unrelated (usually food, yawn) in next to no time.

I concede that you make an excellent point there, AFC East. We need more posters of your quality. :-)

AFC East
08-26-2016, 03:36 PM
I concede that you make an excellent point there, AFC East. We need more posters of your quality. :-)

Thanks, but if I did stay around I suspect Nietzsche would be the best guide to the outcome.

devongunner
08-27-2016, 12:39 PM
I found the moderators and regular posters far too cliquey. There is little room for an individuals views if it doesnt meet that of the moderators and the Sir C, Berni and Jorge clique. The abuse is unreasonable and the banning by so called moderators is very one sided. You need to sort that out as it is the reason many left while the previous board existed and why many left once it became new. A football opinion is often lost in the race to prove how clever some are in their obscure posting and in jokes. Its not at all friendly

devongunner
08-27-2016, 12:54 PM
With all due respect if Burney is given the power to moderate threads according to his intransigent ideas on what a conversation should be ie whatever he is interested in discussing irrelevant of what anyone else wants to talk about - you may as well close the board now.

Just look at the sniping and sidetracking on this thread. It's his way or no way.

hear hear hear hear 9 please get rid of the ten character minimum

08-27-2016, 03:18 PM

So is there no PM any more? Can we not ask him politely to come back?

R.C. Celebrating the return of Trophies
08-29-2016, 01:24 PM

Meh, I just got bored with the page jumping around and fecking adverts obscuring everything. Also had a bit of jip getting on relaunch so did one. Yes it was a bit cliquey but I used to butt in anyway.

AFC East
08-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Hmm reading today's threads some of the language here goes beyond edgy non-PC chatter into the pretty ****ing unwelcoming.

Boreney
08-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Chris Look at how Burney and Sir C have infected the Jorge-sighting-on-the-Guardian-transfer-deadline-day-over-by-over! thread with private message conversation to see how AWIMB has gone to shyt

Club Level Seattle
09-01-2016, 12:57 AM
Really dislike the new format, just not as user friendly as before

Lady Henry AKA The African Queen
09-07-2016, 09:58 PM
SM has spoiled us somewhat and the old format does take some getting used to again.
Maybe push the FB merchants to comment more here and to join or else :fight:

I think it is also early in the season so hopefully hings will pick up in time.

Red N White Army
09-08-2016, 10:51 AM
It does take a bit more effort to see what's going on, but that's mostly a user-base issue than the format itself. Most other forums with this sort of layout have only one thread per topic - so a match thread, a transfers thread, a food thread, a random guff thread etc and all posters keep to that so you know where to post and where to respond if they're interested. That's not how this board evolved under the old format though, and I think half the reason why it's struggling a tad - the format doesn't fit with the way most people here want to post. Not really to do with personalities etc imo - that hasn't changed much as far as I can see.

Arsenes' Wanger
09-09-2016, 12:59 AM
The smugness along with the snide remarks of long term posters needs to change a bit. New members want to express their opinion and be answered with a little respect, instead of being derided by members. A thought out comment in return instead of a snide, half clever rebuttal would be good. Embrace the new posters. They want to feel appreciated.

Harry Balls
09-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Is there an app for this forum, coz frankly that's the primary issue. We've all moved off of the desktop and onto our phones, and social media changed stride to mobile to keep pace.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-12-2016, 11:06 AM
I don't know if this will fall on deaf ears now there is some more activity BUT in my view there has to be zero tolerance of spam. I am fed up of reading posts about kitchens, if there are mods here why don't they delete them? If there are no mods why don't you appoint some?

Burney
09-12-2016, 11:11 AM
I don't know if this will fall on deaf ears now there is some more activity BUT in my view there has to be zero tolerance of spam. I am fed up of reading posts about kitchens, if there are mods here why don't they delete them? If there are no mods why don't you appoint some?

We do delete them when we can, but we're not always here. Also, they can't easily be deleted when they appear on - for instance - the PPPL board.

Mo Britain less Europe
09-12-2016, 11:13 AM
I didn't know that. Why can't the PPPL board ones be deleted? Seems kind of stupid.

Burney
09-12-2016, 11:20 AM
I didn't know that. Why can't the PPPL board ones be deleted? Seems kind of stupid.

No idea. It may simply be that I don't know how, of course.

09-12-2016, 11:23 AM
No idea. It may simply be that I don't know how, of course.

Looks to me like we only have permissions to moderate the main board. Presumably only admin can mod the PPPPPPPPL/Q&A etc.
Headgear Out!

Burney
09-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Looks to me like we only have permissions to moderate the main board. Presumably only admin can mod the PPPPPPPPL/Q&A etc.
Headgear Out!

I suppose the idea is that we might **** with the outcome of the PPPL - although why we'd bother I don't know.

Awimb
09-24-2016, 01:41 PM
Time to unstickify imo

Oh and kill the mobile interface it's absolute bollox. I could only make sense of and navigate the board when switched to full site which will work on any modern mobile anyway so mobile won is pointless. Imo.

Cyprus The Immortal Gooner
09-25-2016, 02:02 PM
I think emailing those who didn't make it over giving them help on doing so and explaining on how to remove the ads or banners that clutter the forum etc and also those who were hounded out and bullied, like Jorge and even GSTB, who suffered horrendous abuse, having a zero-tolerance policy on blatant racism and wishing death/cancer on people would make it a more accommodating place.

Also is there any promotion or social media sites that this forum is linked to? Maybe having a twitter account and promoting the forum that way. As for the lay-out I think it's OK.

Emailing the ones that didn't make the transition is a good idea...

Cyprus The Immortal Gooner
09-25-2016, 02:18 PM

I'm on AWIMB since 1998 (Jesus!) and I would say that the last 2-3 years have been too "aggressive" for me (people fighting, bullying etc) and I kinda faded away with the occasional lurking. Tbh I didn't like the new look and didn't bother getting around to log in for a few months but I more regular lately. I would log in everyday just to keep this site up and give the site a boost. I'm willing to chip in an amount but as Chris+ mentioned that's not an option. I still prefer a classic forum over any SM. A reminder/sticky that we could be clicking on the ads to help the forum (or create a league with the most clicks per month ;))

Fash
09-27-2016, 11:27 AM
I just got the email from Chris +. I wanted to return to for the good of the board.

Mo Britain less Europe
10-04-2016, 07:27 PM
The Gods will probably have disappeared to their higher spheres now there's a bit more activity on the board. But if you cannot be a rsed to keep threads clear of cnuting adverts for kitchens and furniture which have been there for weeks, don't be surprised if people don't get fed up with this place.

It takes two to tango.

Gooner Canuck
10-13-2016, 02:17 PM
The smugness along with the snide remarks of long term posters needs to change a bit. New members want to express their opinion and be answered with a little respect, instead of being derided by members. A thought out comment in return instead of a snide, half clever rebuttal would be good. Embrace the new posters. They want to feel appreciated.

I would agree with this.

I also think the fact that the club has been pretty much standing still for a decade has lessened some of the traffic. How much can we say about a good but not great side that has so many consecutive indistinguishable seasons?

It's maybe also an age thing. As I get older I still try to watch every match but it's a bit less of a priority to talk about Arsenal all day every day, especially when they are not on the pitch. Yes, yes, I know, Plastic Fan and all that, go ahead if you must...

I don't know where the board is hosted but I wonder if there might be a more cost-effective platform available (cloud service, for example if not already being used)?

I should add I am addicted to the PPPL and would hate to lose it. Thanks Homer!

TheCurly
10-13-2016, 02:21 PM
I would agree with this.

I also think the fact that the club has been pretty much standing still for a decade has lessened some of the traffic. How much can we say about a good but not great side that has so many consecutive indistinguishable seasons?

It's maybe also an age thing. As I get older I still try to watch every match but it's a bit less of a priority to talk about Arsenal all day every day, especially when they are not on the pitch. Yes, yes, I know, Plastic Fan and all that, go ahead if you must...

valid points young man

redgunamo
10-13-2016, 03:41 PM
*****luxury kitchens for sale in dundee*****

Exiled Gunner
10-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Hi Chris+ --

My two (late) cents: it's true enough that social media has overtaken forums to a large extent but I, too, like to think there remains a place for the latter along with the former on the internet.

Also, I stopped really regularly actively posting on AWIMB years ago after being made to feel like I was a lesser Gooner on account of my gender and frankly, there also have been casual comments about people who aren't European that have made me feel like I wouldn't be welcome by some -- though by no means all (thank you Chris+, Peter, etc.) -- AWIMBers.

At the same time though, I still check AWIMB for Arsenal views, discussions and take part in the PPPL. It helps me feel connected to the greater Gooner community. And therein lies this board's strengths to my mind: i.e., that it is the online home to some really dedicated Gooners, and a place where one can come in to exhult/vent about the Arsenal. Put another way: Maybe I'm really in the minority here but it's not so much the banter that I come here for but the feeling I sometimes can get that the Arsenal can actually arouse/provoke strong emotions in us!

Darren's Dodgy Denim
10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
I think in many ways this is almost unavoidable given the rise of social media. Arsenal Land went the way of the dodo quite some time ago. Arsenal Mania is still going, but I suspect they are also experiencing slowdown.

Mo Britain less Europe
11-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Four out of five awimb boards have spam posts heading them. Mods don't care, nobody cares so long as the faithful log on to prove someone has seen all the pathetic lowlife ads. Not for me, Clive. Fix your board or find some other sucker.

Pat Vegas
11-18-2016, 12:15 PM
You already posted that mo on another thread you spammer.

Tony C
12-14-2016, 09:00 AM
I do remember doing that World Cup sweepstakes in 2014 and getting loads of interest but for some reason the old board started to wane in the last few months...the switchover to here didn't help but that's not saying this platform won't work.

One of the charms of this place was that most of us knew each other from way back....for instance I started in 98 and that created a bond between all of us but there were too many new UNIQUE people joint the group so as as people have gotten older and moved away from posting on here the traffic has diminished.

Should just point out that people left for much different reasons....for some it was a personal choice...some just grew out of it, some lured away to other sites / social media, some left because of infighting, some got banned like Greg and fat neck etc etc

It is a shame...you would remember when I myself was in some trouble pretty much everyone on the board helped me out...even non Arsenal fans...I still have an amazing reference written by Bluepunter...never met the guy and he was a City fan yet still went out of his way to help me out.

I think that camaraderie we once had has gone....do we even still meet up at the Woodbine?

The fortunes of the team hasn't helped...i mean we've been through the bad times on the old board but the year in year out 4th place mediocrity probably just made people way to bored to care about coming on here anymore.

About Social media...maybe it's time to recreate that old AWIMB GROUP on Facebook?

Also...the Arsenal on Reddit gets insane traffic so they're clearly doing something right.

One thing that might help is maybe a fornightly video / podcast with some of the regulars...maybe do a link up on Arsenal Fan tv...lets get modd and DT in the same room together :cloud9:

I think that's another problem...Arsenal fan TVs...fans chat about Arsenal on there in the YouTube comments and the banter can get quite insane.

Just some thoughts from my side...generally it's a case of us losing members and not replacing them....

redgunamo
12-14-2016, 10:38 AM
I do remember doing that World Cup sweepstakes in 2014 and getting loads of interest but for some reason the old board started to wane in the last few months...the switchover to here didn't help but that's not saying this platform won't work.

One of the charms of this place was that most of us knew each other from way back....for instance I started in 98 and that created a bond between all of us but there were too many new UNIQUE people joint the group so as as people have gotten older and moved away from posting on here the traffic has diminished.

Should just point out that people left for much different reasons....for some it was a personal choice...some just grew out of it, some lured away to other sites / social media, some left because of infighting, some got banned like Greg and fat neck etc etc

It is a shame...you would remember when I myself was in some trouble pretty much everyone on the board helped me out...even non Arsenal fans...I still have an amazing reference written by Bluepunter...never met the guy and he was a City fan yet still went out of his way to help me out.

I think that camaraderie we once had has gone....do we even still meet up at the Woodbine?

The fortunes of the team hasn't helped...i mean we've been through the bad times on the old board but the year in year out 4th place mediocrity probably just made people way to bored to care about coming on here anymore.

About Social media...maybe it's time to recreate that old AWIMB GROUP on Facebook?

Also...the Arsenal on Reddit gets insane traffic so they're clearly doing something right.

One thing that might help is maybe a fornightly video / podcast with some of the regulars...maybe do a link up on Arsenal Fan tv...lets get modd and DT in the same room together :cloud9:

I think that's another problem...Arsenal fan TVs...fans chat about Arsenal on there in the YouTube comments and the banter can get quite insane.

Just some thoughts from my side...generally it's a case of us losing members and not replacing them....

Well said, T. The only people prepared to make any kind of case for anything these days is the WOB. AKBs have slowly but surely given up.

Any new posters finding this place and expecting to find fireworks going on because of, say, last night's game are bound to be confused :-\

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 11:30 AM
Attention Gaffer +

Have you seen the state of the main page? I logged on here on a different computer and you can't even click to log in as it's covered in ads. It had a full screen video of a dominos pizza advert. and then littered with click bait ads.
not an attractive place to sign up to! If I had stumbled across this site I'd leave immediately let alone sign up.

Not everyone has *******. I've never used ******* in my life until this forum became pin the ad on the donkey.

The fact you sensor Ad block is quite funny too :hehe:

Tony C
12-14-2016, 05:11 PM
I agree...the sites pretty unusable if you're on an iPAD...

Pat Vegas
12-14-2016, 05:12 PM
I was looking at Awimb on my phone.

It even stops any music of podcasts you are listening to!

Tony C
12-16-2016, 09:07 AM
I wonder how the other message board are getting on like BayernMuchenWIMB, RealWIMB and my personal favourite PottersWimb...they weren't so bad. I think they fact they could actually use the internet and type sentences separated them from your average Orc.

Are we still part of the footy-mad network?

Boxing24
12-30-2016, 11:51 AM
You already posted that mo on another thread you spammer.

hahahaha:dogs:

TobysOats
10-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Completely in agreement with you devongunner. Well stated.

TobysOats
10-31-2017, 12:29 PM
I've just happened on this thread after five years of swearing off AWIMB. I appreciate the opportunity to comment. I was a regular poster before, but the reason I left was the racial abuse evident especially during the 2012 World Cup. Whenever an Asian referee or a high-profile Asian player was in the news, I dreaded coming onto the forums, because I knew there would be reprehensible postings all over the place. "He's got slitty eyes, no wonder he couldn't see the play," being just one of the comments. It's normal to see such childishness on any board, but there were several comments of a similar nature coming from your *moderator* at the time (hint: Kansas City), who has since feigned innocence like the coward he is. I said, "No thank you" and scarpered off. If you look at the recent furor during the baseball World Series, you'll see that such language has no place in the sporting world any more. Good riddance. Sorry, Chris+, as I know you are not responsible and can't control everything that goes on here. I hope the board returns to its former glory, and wish you the best.

Pat Vegas
10-31-2017, 12:39 PM
I've just happened on this thread after five years of swearing off AWIMB. I appreciate the opportunity to comment. I was a regular poster before, but the reason I left was the racial abuse evident especially during the 2012 World Cup. Whenever an Asian referee or a high-profile Asian player was in the news, I dreaded coming onto the forums, because I knew there would be reprehensible postings all over the place. "He's got slitty eyes, no wonder he couldn't see the play," being just one of the comments. It's normal to see such childishness on any board, but there were several comments of a similar nature coming from your *moderator* at the time (hint: Kansas City), who has since feigned innocence like the coward he is. I said, "No thank you" and scarpered off. If you look at the recent furor during the baseball World Series, you'll see that such language has no place in the sporting world any more. Good riddance. Sorry, Chris+, as I know you are not responsible and can't control everything that goes on here. I hope the board returns to its former glory, and wish you the best.

Are you sure?

Burney
10-31-2017, 01:21 PM
Are you sure?

I’m trying to wok out who this is, tbh.

bbrian
10-31-2017, 03:05 PM
I’m trying to wok out who this is, tbh.

Might be the lad formerly known as Seasider...did not see eye to eye with Chief at all back then

11-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Emailing the ones that didn't make the transition is a good idea.

Norn Iron
11-17-2017, 04:21 PM
If you type awimb.com into the browser it doesn't take you to the board.

You need to type www.awimb.com to get here. Might help with numbers if this was fixed.

devongunner
02-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Can we have a "like" button please as in Facebook. I see many posts I would like to show an appreciation of without making a response