PDA

View Full Version : Watching a thing about romcoms the other day, it occurred to me how few I'd seen

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen:

Pretty Woman
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Love Actually
Notting Hill
Muriel’s Wedding
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Anything to do with Bridget Jones

All of which begs the question why I'd be watching something about Romcoms, but there you go.

This led me to thinking about famous films I haven't seen. I also haven't seen Ghost or Dirty Dancing, for instance, which apparently makes me weird.

What famous films haven't you seen, AWIMB?

Ash
08-22-2016, 01:10 PM

Most of them. Fillums are over-rated imo. They usually either bore me in 10 minutes or just look crap. :shrug:

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
I haven't seen:

Pretty Woman
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Love Actually
Notting Hill
Muriel’s Wedding
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

All of which begs the question why I'd be watching something about Romcoms, but there you go.

This led me to thinking about famous films I haven't seen. I also haven't seen Ghost or Dirty Dancing, for instance, which apparently makes me weird.

I can't watch Ghost, it makes me cry myself unconscious. Dirty Dancing was excellent, but perhaps a little... of its time?

Blimey, there are loads of classic movies I've never seen.

Blade Runner
Any of the Godfathers
2001 A Space Odyssey
Escape From New York
Friday 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Last Tango In Paris
The Railway Children

TheCurly
08-22-2016, 01:14 PM
I have watched not a one of thon super-hero movies
Well,not since Christopher Reeve
Iron Man :nono:
Ant man :nono:
Batman :nono:

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:15 PM
I have watched not a one of thon super-hero movies
Well,not since Christopher Reeve
Iron Man :nono:
Ant man :nono:
Batman :nono:

Oh yes, I forgot those. Are they the Marvel ones you hear about?

They sound like utter *******s to me.

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:17 PM
I can't watch Ghost, it makes me cry myself unconscious. Dirty Dancing was excellent, but perhaps a little... of its time?

Blimey, there are loads of classic movies I've never seen.

Blade Runner
Any of the Godfathers
2001 A Space Odyssey
Escape From New York
Friday 13th
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Last Tango In Paris
The Railway Children

I'm actually in shock that you haven't seen the first two Godfathers. :yikes:

The others are all fair enough - Blade Runner is silly and 2001 gets shít after it stops being about the apes - but not to have seen The Godfather 1 and 2 seems a MASSIVE gap in your filmic history. :-(

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:18 PM

Yeah. They all end up with people who basically can't be hurt smashing each other into buildings, streets and cars for about half an hour.

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm actually in shock that you haven't seen the first two Godfathers. :yikes:

The others are all fair enough - Blade Runner is silly and 2001 gets **** after it stops being about the apes - but not to have seen The Godfather 1 and 2 seems a MASSIVE gap in your filmic history. :-(

:shrug: You haven't seen Love Actually or Bridget Jones's Diary but I don't call you a bad person because of it.

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:20 PM
:shrug: You haven't seen Love Actually or Bridget Jones's Diary but I don't call you a bad person because of it.

I'm not calling you a bad person, I'm just honestly amazed. Those films are so much a part of the fabric of modern culture and are so widely referenced, parodied and pastiched that I find it impossible to believe anyone can not have seen them.

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm not calling you a bad person, I'm just honestly amazed. Those films are so much a part of the fabric of modern culture and are so widely referenced, parodied and pastiched that I find it impossible to believe anyone can not have seen them.

That's why one doesn't really need to have seen them. Offer he can't refuse, horse's head, yadda yadda.

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:33 PM
That's why one doesn't really need to have seen them. Offer he can't refuse, horse's head, yadda yadda.

But they're so much more than that. There's Jame's Caan's Sonny strutting around like a gamecock, there's Al Pacino undertaking one of the only subtle, slow-burning roles of his life as he gradually corrupts from stand-up college boy to evil mobster, there's Luca Brazzi galumphing around, there's Diane Keaton being a pain in the ass, there's Clemenza and finally there's Brando Brandoing.

I've seen those films dozens of times. I still love them.

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:40 PM
But they're so much more than that. There's Jame's Caan's Sonny strutting around like a gamecock, there's Al Pacino undertaking one of the only subtle, slow-burning roles of his life as he gradually corrupts from stand-up college boy to evil mobster, there's Luca Brazzi galumphing around, there's Diane Keaton being a pain in the ass, there's Clemenza and finally there's Brando Brandoing.

I've seen those films dozens of times. I still love them.

That!s all well and good, but you've never seen Martine McCutcheon steal Hugh Grant's heart at 10 Downing St, so you know nothing of film.

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:42 PM
That!s all well and good, but you've never seen Martine McCutcheon steal Hugh Grant's heart at 10 Downing St, so you know nothing of film.

OK, well if I watch Love Actually, will you promise at least to watch The Godfather?

SWv2
08-22-2016, 01:51 PM

I went to see Suicide Squad yesterday.

Mildly hungover. Box of popcorn, coke zero.

Big mac meal, 6 nuggets, fillet of fish. Boom.

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:52 PM
OK, well if I watch Love Actually, will you promise at least to watch The Godfather?

Certainly. I have no objection to it, I've just never got round to it.

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:53 PM
I went to see Suicide Squad yesterday.

Mildly hungover. Box of popcorn, coke zero.

Big mac meal, 6 nuggets, fillet of fish. Boom.

You ate those things actually in the auditorium? :yikes:

Do you know nothing of the code?

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:54 PM

I expect he removed his shoes and checked his phone, as well :-(

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Certainly. I have no objection to it, I've just never got round to it.

Then it's a deal. I shall steel myself to watching some mawkish ****e by Richard Curtis and you get to watch a true masterpiece of cinema.

I can't help but feel you're getting the better of this deal.

Sir C
08-22-2016, 01:55 PM
Then it's a deal. I shall steel myself to watching some mawkish ****e by Richard Curtis and you get to watch a true masterpiece of cinema.

I can't help but feel you're getting the better of this deal.

You're going to need a box of tissues. Not for ****ing.

Burney
08-22-2016, 01:57 PM
You're going to need a box of tissues. Not for ****ing.

I'm really not, you know. We have established that I have no soul, a piece of carbon where my heart should be and tearducts as dry as a nun's nasty.

SWv2
08-22-2016, 01:58 PM

No, my apologies.

Just the cinema snacks in the cinema and then the proper food in the food court.

Tallaght Cinema allows you to take McDonalds in, but then it’s in the Square which is not a place you really go to unless there is no alternatives.

Burney
08-22-2016, 02:00 PM
No, my apologies.

Just the cinema snacks in the cinema and then the proper food in the food court.

Tallaght Cinema allows you to take McDonalds in, but then it’s in the Square which is not a place you really go to unless there is no alternatives.

Fair enough, then. I'll let you off.

I watched an Irish film the other day. Sing Street it was called. Quite fun, actually. Lots of shots of Dalkey, which brought back childhood memories.

Pat Vegas
08-22-2016, 02:01 PM
I haven't seen:

Pretty Woman
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry Met Sally
Love Actually
Notting Hill
Muriel’s Wedding
My Best Friend's Wedding
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Star Wars any of them.
Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption
E.T
silence of the lambs
Lord of the rings any of them
Harry Potter any of them
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart

Any of those old movies like Casablanca or singing in the rain I consider all that ****e extremely boring.

Burney
08-22-2016, 02:02 PM
Star Wars any of them.
Godfather
The Shawshank Redemption
E.T
silence of the lambs
Lord of the rings any of them
Harry Potter any of them
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart

Any of those old movies like Casablanca or singing in the rain I consider all that ****e extremely boring.

So anything in black and white is out, basically? Blimey, f, that's pretty philistine.

Pat Vegas
08-22-2016, 02:03 PM
So anything in black and white is out, basically? Blimey, f, that's pretty philistine.

Nah anything with transatlantic accents, men slapping women and people standing around talking or standing next to telephones bores me to death.

SWv2
08-22-2016, 02:06 PM

I watched an Irish film the other day. Sing Street it was called. Quite fun, actually. Lots of shots of Dalkey, which brought back childhood memories.

The sound track is supposed to be excellent, which some will read as The Jam are on it. Which is both accurate and fair enough.

Very well received over here as you may expect.

Burney
08-22-2016, 02:08 PM
The sound track is supposed to be excellent, which some will read as The Jam are on it. Which is both accurate and fair enough.

Very well received over here as you may expect.

The songs are actually far too good for a school band. I was in a band at school. Absolutely everything we sang was shīte. We had one song that was actually alright, but then the bloke who'd written it told us it was about wànking and we went right off it.

TheCurly
08-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Saw thon.I enjoyed it but it's no Commitments

Burney
08-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Saw thon.I enjoyed it but it's no Commitments

No. Although it had the bird from The Commitments in it as his ma.

TheCurly
08-22-2016, 02:26 PM
No. Although it had the bird from The Commitments in it as his ma.

I first thought "she hasn't aged well" then I remembered it was 25 years ago :-(

Sir C
08-22-2016, 02:28 PM
I first thought "she hasn't aged well" then I remembered it was 25 years ago :-(

Was it the nice won? Imelda, was it?

Burney
08-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Was it the nice won? Imelda, was it?

No, it was the dark-haired one that doesn't look like she's been hit in the face with a shovel.