PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm. Public sector borrowing down to lowest since 2008, no inflation spike,

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:05 AM
FTSE normalised, pound steady, retail sales smashing targets, unemployment at a record low, an economy growing faster than those of our European chums...

...this post-Brexit economic shítstorm isn't quite what we've been led to believe, is it? Weren't we supposed to be living in Mad Max times by now?

Ash
08-19-2016, 09:16 AM
FTSE normalised, pound steady, retail sales smashing targets, unemployment at a record low, an economy growing faster than those of our European chums...

...this post-Brexit economic shítstorm isn't quite what we've been led to believe, is it? Weren't we supposed to be living in Mad Max times by now?

It might be pointed out that Brexit hasn't actually happened yet. What has happened is that confidence hasn't collapsed in anticipation of it. Which is nice.

Sir C
08-19-2016, 09:20 AM
It might be pointed out that Brexit hasn't actually happened yet. What has happened is that confidence hasn't collapsed in anticipation of it. Which is nice.

I rather suspect that markets have decided that 'Brexit', in any meaningful form, is highly unlikely to take place at all.

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:21 AM

Of course not. However, we were told by umpteen 'experts', including Carney, Osborne and the IMF, that the UK would almost certainly slump into immediate recession in the event of a Leave vote. That has been categorically shown to be utter, scaremongering bull**** designed to bully the electorate into compliance - something the Remain supporters who whinge about the Leave vote having been 'based on lies' might want to bear in mind.

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:24 AM
I rather suspect that markets have decided that 'Brexit', in any meaningful form, is highly unlikely to take place at all.

In an economic sense probably not. Everyone has too much to lose from it - which is what I pointed out during the campaign when people were screaming about how we were going to be left out in the cold.

Ash
08-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Of course not. However, we were told by umpteen 'experts', including Carney, Osborne and the IMF that the UK would almost certainly slump into immediate recession in the event of a Leave vote. That has been categorically shown to be utter, scaremongering bull**** designed to bully the electorate into compliance - something the Remain supporters who whinge about the Leave vote having been 'based on lies' might want to bear in mind.

Right. Though the biggest lie of all might turn out to be the claim in the official leaflet that 'The Government will implement your decision.'

Sir C
08-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Of course not. However, we were told by umpteen 'experts', including Carney, Osborne and the IMF, that the UK would almost certainly slump into immediate recession in the event of a Leave vote. That has been categorically shown to be utter, scaremongering bull**** designed to bully the electorate into compliance - something the Remain supporters who whinge about the Leave vote having been 'based on lies' might want to bear in mind.

Oh, but that's all just standard electioneering, surely? Nothing about which to become exercised.

Pat Vegas
08-19-2016, 09:34 AM

I could do with a better exchange rate to be honest. £1 is $1.68 in cad. it was nearly 2 dollars a couple a months ago :-(

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Right. Though the biggest lie of all might turn out to be the claim in the official leaflet that 'The Government will implement your decision.'

How upset people are about the eventual Brexit deal will very much depend on how realistic their expectations of what would happen were in the first place. Anyone who thought we were going to cut all ties and wander off into the sunset was bound to be disappointed, as was anyone who thought there wouldn't be compromises and horse trading. What is certain is that we will leave the political union.

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Oh, but that's all just standard electioneering, surely? Nothing about which to become exercised.

Of course it is. However, the whining of those who voted Remain about how the referendum should be re-run because of the Leave vote having been based on lies has been utterly intolerable and is particularly so in the light of these figures, which show their arguments to be based on the rankest hypocrisy.

Ash
08-19-2016, 09:43 AM
I could do with a better exchange rate to be honest. £1 is $1.68 in cad. it was nearly 2 dollars a couple a months ago :-(

Patience, Pat. At some point the Euro will collapse again (maybe when the Italian banks go 'ping') and people will pile into Sterling again, especially when we are about to bestride the world with our unparallelled post Brexit access to both European and International markets.

Pat Vegas
08-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Patience, Pat. At some point the Euro will collapse again (maybe when the Italian banks go 'ping') and people will pile into Sterling again, especially when we are about to bestride the world with our unparallelled post Brexit access to both European and International markets.

I'll have some of that. I have interests from both sides.
I am paying a bill each month in Euros so better if it goes down. But renting out a holiday property will mean I will get less for my monies. Fash Tycoon

Sir C
08-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Of course it is. However, the whining of those who voted Remain about how the referendum should be re-run because of the Leave vote having been based on lies has been utterly intolerable and is particularly so in the light of these figures, which show their arguments to be based on the rankest hypocrisy.

I'm rather enjoying the sussuration of necks being gently wound in. :hehe: Facebook feeds, once overwhelmed with the lamentations of the unthinking liberal intelligentsia, have reverted to videos of cute kittens.

Ash
08-19-2016, 09:50 AM

This is true, but those whiners wanting to overturn democracy happen to basically constitute the whole of the ruling class. All 3 main political parties, 80% of MPs, all the banks and financial institutions, IMF, CBI, most of the media, the whole of academia, and supported by most of the chattering classes who frequent the internet.

How does it feel to suddenly find yourself on the wrong side of the barricades?

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:52 AM
I'll have some of that. I have interests from both sides.
I am paying a bill each month in Euros so better if it goes down. But renting out a holiday property will mean I will get less for my monies. Fash Tycoon

Hmmm. Italy's situation is seriously scary. Its economy is about to collapse, it's too big to bail out a la Greece and, to top it all, they seem to want to hand over the government to this lot.

Brentwood
08-19-2016, 09:55 AM

This is an interesting theory

https://www.quora.com/At-which-step-do-you-think-that-this-whole-%E2%80%98Brexit%E2%80%99-farce-will-collapse

Pat Vegas
08-19-2016, 09:56 AM
Hmmm. Italy's situation is seriously scary. Its economy is about to collapse, it's too big to bail out a la Greece and, to top it all, they seem to want to hand over the government to this lot.

:hehe: You know one of the former president of the province of Rome was Montalbano's brother.

Burney
08-19-2016, 09:57 AM
This is true, but those whiners wanting to overturn democracy happen to basically constitute the whole of the ruling class. All 3 main political parties, 80% of MPs, all the banks and financial institutions, IMF, CBI, most of the media, the whole of academia, and supported by most of the chattering classes who frequent the internet.

How does it feel to suddenly find yourself on the wrong side of the barricades?

I don't think in terms of barricades. Politics is the art of compromise. I saw one of the side benefits of the referendum as being a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to deliver a well-deserved slap to such people. I knew the changes would never be as seismic as some supposed, but that there would be a re-ordering.

Sir C
08-19-2016, 10:00 AM

https://www.quora.com/At-which-step-do-you-think-that-this-whole-%E2%80%98Brexit%E2%80%99-farce-will-collapse

That's very well put, I think, and pretty much inevitable.

Ash
08-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Written by a sneering snob whose genius hasn't extended to the recognition that the Eurozone, and by extension, the EU, isn't actually working.

Brentwood
08-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Written by a sneering snob whose genius hasn't extended to the recognition that the Eurozone, and by extension, the EU, isn't actually working.

Maybe so, but let's just see if anyone has the balls to make a decision to *actually* leave it. I'm very doubtful