PDA

View Full Version : I remember the good old days when GB were **** in the Olympics.

Pat Vegas
08-15-2016, 11:35 AM
And we'd only win stuff in Rowing.

It's not as fun when they are 2nd in the medals table.

Either the whole 2012 investing in athletics stuff worked. Or GB are one of the leaders in undetectable 'gear'

Burney
08-15-2016, 11:39 AM
And we'd only win stuff in Rowing.

It's not as fun when they are 2nd in the medals table.

Either the whole 2012 investing in athletics stuff worked. Or GB are one of the leaders in undetectable 'gear'

Dunno about the drugs side of things, but the UK has certainly been at the forefront of financial doping in terms of sports equipment, high-tech testing, research and so forth. For instance, BAE Systems has been very closely involved with Team GB for years now (good PR for them rather than the usual 'dealers of death' thing). That sort of thing has certainly been a major influence - particularly in the cycling.

Just Trent
08-15-2016, 11:56 AM
Gold medal winners used to be guaranteed 4-5 years of work afterwards. Breakfast cereal adverts, all sorts of marketing work and endless appearances on Record Breakers, Question of sport and Noel's House Party. Now all they get is a quick chat with Clare Balding. Before some other chap comes along and wins two golds in a better event.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-15-2016, 02:30 PM
I noticed that in 2012. On the Saturday when we won 3 gold in athletics, some long jumper won us gold and we only saw about 3 of his jumps.

In the good old days when we only used to win a few medals, we'd have watched the whole competition. The public would have been talking about what the personal bests and longest jumps this year of his rivals were and we'd have seen all the other jumps with the commentators excitedly discussing these issues.

But as you say, we saw about 10 mins of him in total and I can't even remember his name. Best I could tell you the names of all 5 gold medal winners from Moscow.

Burney
08-15-2016, 02:36 PM
I noticed that in 2012. On the Saturday when we won 3 gold in athletics, some long jumper won us gold and we only saw about 3 of his jumps.

In the good old days when we only used to win a few medals, we'd have watched the whole competition. The public would have been talking about what the personal bests and longest jumps this year of his rivals were and we'd have seen all the other jumps with the commentators excitedly discussing these issues.

But as you say, we saw about 10 mins of him in total and I can't even remember his name. Best I could tell you the names of all 5 gold medal winners from Moscow.

There certainly didn't used to be as many **** events in the Olympics and we certainly never used to pay as much attention to them. The long jumpy fellow probably suffered because they'd spent a load of time covering tossers who were cycling or sitting in a boat and thus ran out of time to cover him.

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
08-15-2016, 02:43 PM
There certainly didn't used to be as many **** events in the Olympics and we certainly never used to pay as much attention to them. The long jumpy fellow probably suffered because they'd spent a load of time covering tossers who were cycling or sitting in a boat and thus ran out of time to cover him.

No. It was the day when Ennis won the Heptathlon and Farah one of the long races {maybe the 10k.} So as both were going on at the same time as Lynn Davies or whatever his name is was winning his long jump, he got rather overlooked. As it was all in the athletics stadium, the one set of commentators had to cover all 3 events at once and as he was ginger, he was the least telegenic so he drew the short straw in the coverage.