PDA

View Full Version : PSRB around? I need Greater Manchester advice.

Pat Vegas
08-11-2016, 03:47 PM
It seems I could buy a home in certain areas with a personal loan rather than a mortgage.
What's the catch? apart from it being Manchester?

what areas to avoid? etc

barrybueno
08-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Don't go through the aggro of a personal loan, just use your penny jar imo.

This is obviously a buy toi let jobbie right?

Pat Vegas
08-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Don't go through the aggro of a personal loan, just use your penny jar imo.

This is obviously a buy toi let jobbie right?

I am thinking long term plans. I like the look of the prices. getting to the age where I just want good space for my £ and a bit more relaxed.

The out of london stuff seems good but I can't be doing with the commuting. So ideally out of london with local jobs to go with it.

IUFG
08-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Most of Manchester looks like the place Shameless was filmed, imo.

The city centre is quite nice, tbf.

Pat Vegas
08-11-2016, 03:54 PM
Most of Manchester looks like the place Shameless was filmed, imo.

The city centre is quite nice, tbf.

I know what you mean. But when looking at some of the areas out of london some of the houses look like Concrete boxes with another concrete box attached like a garage.

super value though. I've seen 4 bedroom places for 100k. yes please. At this rate I can have my own guitar studio.

barrybueno
08-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Don't see the point in leaving the biggest city to then go and live in the second biggest city if I were you tbh.

IUFG
08-11-2016, 03:57 PM
fill your boots imo.

https://toughnickel.com/real-estate/15-of-the-cheapest-places-in-the-UK-to-buy-a-3-bedroom-house

Pat Vegas
08-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Don't see the point in leaving the biggest city to then go and live in the second biggest city if I were you tbh.

There's no future here BB. Paying ridiculous rent, want to buy can't afford anything (well could make it work but committing to such a big commitment to a small place is not inspiring)

barrybueno
08-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Reads like a top 10 list of British ****holes :hehe: no surprise really...

Brentwood
08-12-2016, 09:06 AM
There's no future here BB. Paying ridiculous rent, want to buy can't afford anything (well could make it work but committing to such a big commitment to a small place is not inspiring)

Move to the suburbs and commute into London imo. Brentwood to Liv St is only 25 mins by train. You could move to Epping, or a similar type of area anywhere around the M25

Pokster
08-12-2016, 09:09 AM

cost of living

Burney
08-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Move to the suburbs and commute into London imo. Brentwood to Liv St is only 25 mins by train. You could move to Epping, or a similar type of area anywhere around the M25

I looked at Chipping Ongar when I was still working in Kent. Lovely place.

Pat Vegas
08-12-2016, 09:11 AM

I've been looking. How much would the train cost me? 300-400 a month? :-(

SWv2
08-12-2016, 09:19 AM

Why are you so hell bent on owning property?

Brentwood
08-12-2016, 09:23 AM

I think it was 2500 per year when I lived there 4 years ago (not including Tube)

Brentwood
08-12-2016, 09:23 AM
I looked at Chipping Ongar when I was still working in Kent. Lovely place.

That's just up the road. Nice place with some decent country pubs

Pat Vegas
08-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Why are you so hell bent on owning property?

I am looking at like this.

Why should I pay somebody elses mortgage by renting when I could pay less than rent and own something?

Paying over 13 grand a year to rent a 1 bedroom flat in zone 4. it's ridicules.

SWv2
08-12-2016, 09:38 AM
I am looking at like this.

Why should I pay somebody elses mortgage by renting when I could pay less than rent and own something?

Paying over 13 grand a year to rent a 1 bedroom flat in zone 4. it's ridicules.

Well the fact that you are paying over 13k a year to rent a 1 bedroom flat in zone 4 is your choice, you could pay less elsewhere, and I don’t mean Manchester.

The alternative option (in London) is paying the same money, plus many other associated and often unforeseen costs, for a property that effectively is owned by a bank but which you will ultimately own in 30 years or so.

I certainly wouldn’t dream of living / working in London and being a distant landlord / property investor which I doubt is your latest plan.

Pat Vegas
08-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Well the fact that you are paying over 13k a year to rent a 1 bedroom flat in zone 4 is your choice, you could pay less elsewhere, and I don’t mean Manchester.

The alternative option (in London) is paying the same money, plus many other associated and often unforeseen costs, for a property that effectively is owned by a bank but which you will ultimately own in 30 years or so.

I certainly wouldn’t dream of living / working in London and being a distant landlord / property investor which I doubt is your latest plan.

All I want is a bigger place and something for my efforts I am making to save. Basically I need another room, I don't have enough space to swing a guitar.

Without a goal making all this efforts saving saving saving and living smartly is very depressing.

What we pay in rent is pretty much normal and it's going up and up. You can find slightly cheaper by moving out further but then you have the increase on travel costs. There is cheaper if you go for a studio flat or something but I am nearly 35, been there done that and I am definitely not doing that.

Pokster
08-12-2016, 09:58 AM
All I want is a bigger place and something for my efforts I am making to save. Basically I need another room, I don't have enough space to swing a guitar.

Without a goal making all this efforts saving saving saving and living smartly is very depressing.

What we pay in rent is pretty much normal and it's going up and up. You can find slightly cheaper by moving out further but then you have the increase on travel costs. There is cheaper if you go for a studio flat or something but I am nearly 35, been there done that and I am definitely not doing that.

Ah the jpys of being older and was able to manage to afford a nice flat in London 18 yrs ago.... couldn't afford it now (but wouldn't want to live there again)