PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Williams to Everton.....is he really not better than Gabriel or Holding?

Yesterday Once More
08-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Why does Wenger so often miss out on exactly the type of player we need: a commanding leader who would be a natural captain. And one who would not cost a fortune. At 31 he would be ideal for the next 3 years.

Gooner Canuck
08-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Cannot disagree.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Why does Wenger so often miss out on exactly the type of player we need: a commanding leader who would be a natural captain. And one who would not cost a fortune. At 31 he would be ideal for the next 3 years.

Not really

SWv2
08-10-2016, 10:12 AM

Is the burgeoning love affair for Williams based on the Euros or a long standing admiration for him as a player?

If you entered “PL based defenders who did well at the Euros and could be used as a stop gap for our injury woes and may not cost the earth” into a search engine then I expect Jose Fonte would come up.

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2016, 10:15 AM
Is the burgeoning love affair for Williams based on the Euros or a long standing admiration for him as a player?

If you entered “PL based defenders who did well at the Euros and could be used as a stop gap for our injury woes and may not cost the earth” into a search engine then I expect Jose Fonte would come up.
Fonte over Williams definitely

Williams is worth a goal a game to a half decent team. Limited would be a kind way of describing him

Dorset Gooner
08-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Stones :( Perfect for our style

Billy Goat Sverige
08-10-2016, 10:29 AM

Williams is worth a goal a game to a half decent team. Limited would be a kind way of describing him

Thoughts on Mustafi, LA?

Yesterday Once More
08-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Blimey that's harsh. He has captained a modest club side and a modest international team, both of whom were especially good defensively. If he is limited and worth a goal a game to the opposition, what is Gabriel worth?

Luis Anaconda
08-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Blimey that's harsh. He has captained a modest club side and a modest international team, both of whom were especially good defensively. If he is limited and worth a goal a game to the opposition, what is Gabriel worth?

A far superior central defender who needs a run of games. Watch his brilliant marshalling of the enormously priced Lukaku at home to Everton last year (and away - but I would give you that Everton as a whole never turned up to the latter). Yes - I was harsh on Williams but if you were honest and judged him by the standards you judge our players, I doubt you could make a serious argument for him really being better