PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, so an IMF report admits that they and the EU basically ****ed Greece up

Ash
08-09-2016, 12:37 PM
to save the Euro. Greeks were subjected not only to a crippling cycle of austerity and further debt as their economy contracted, but they were actually blamed for all of this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/28/imf-admits-disastrous-love-affair-with-euro-apologises-for-the-i/

Google can't seem to find a link to this story on the websites of the Guardian, Independent or the BBC for some reason. Still, nice to know that the 'experts' whose orders we were supposed to follow know what they are doing. :-|

the harsh truth is that the bailout sacrificed Greece in a “holding action” to save the euro and north European banks. Greece endured the traditional IMF shock of austerity, without the offsetting IMF cure of debt relief and devaluation to restore viability.

The injustice is that the cost of the bailouts was switched to ordinary Greek citizens – the least able to support the burden – and it was never acknowledged that the true motive of EU-IMF Troika policy was to protect monetary union. Indeed, the Greeks were repeatedly blamed for failures that stemmed from the policy itself. This unfairness – the root of so much bitterness in Greece – is finally recognised in the report.

IUFG
08-09-2016, 12:42 PM
What is the correct response to this info, A?

Pat Vegas
08-09-2016, 12:43 PM

I was thinking the same. I was thinking of doing a fash special and reply with a different topic completely.

'This brexit eh?

IUFG
08-09-2016, 12:44 PM
well, who would want to be part of the organisation that let this happen, eh? Eh?

Mo Britain less Europe
08-09-2016, 12:45 PM

Brexit....

Ash
08-09-2016, 12:50 PM

To observe that the EU will happily create economic ruin to preserve itself, while blaming the victim.

Also, that this should have been a major news story for days. If we had the sort of poster on here who thrives on proving other posters wrong, then perhaps he could root around with his news-searching skillz and, erm, prove me wrong. Though if it didn't get mentioned on AWIMB (the litmus test of news) when it broke last week, then it's probably fair to say that it was not widely reported and discussed.