PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't help that Wenger is over-indulgent to international players

Yesterday Once More
08-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Ok, so Kosh and Giroud played in the Euro Final for France, I get that. But the match was five weeks before the first premiership game of the season. That's right, five weeks. They could have been given a couple of weeks off and then fast-tracked into training with a couple of games in Scandinvia so that by now they would be ready to play at the weekend. But oh no, Les Amis are allowed to catch up at their own pace.

We recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of England winning the world cup. Moore, Hurst and Peters played in the final (with extra time) on Saturday 30 July. Two weeks later they were back on duty for West Ham at home to Chelsea on the first day of the new season. I don't think it would have occurred to dear old Ron Greenwood that they might have been a "leetle beet short pheesically". It was time for work, end of.

Nothing special just more honest times.

Pokster
08-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Ok, so Kosh and Giroud played in the Euro Final for France, I get that. But the match was five weeks before the first premiership game of the season. That's right, five weeks. They could have been given a couple of weeks off and then fast-tracked into training with a couple of games in Scandinvia so that by now they would be ready to play at the weekend. But oh no, Les Amis are allowed to catch up at their own pace.

We recently celebrated the 50th anniversary of England winning the world cup. Moore, Hurst and Peters played in the final (with extra time) on Saturday 30 July. Two weeks later they were back on duty for West Ham at home to Chelsea on the first day of the new season. I don't think it would have occurred to dear old Ron Greenwood that they might have been a "leetle beet short pheesically". It was time for work, end of.

The fact that the club (under Uefa rules) have to give them 3 weeks off doesn't seem to be mentioned by you? He got slated last year for rushing Sanchez back, and he gets slated for giving 2 players an extra week off... he can't win imo

SWv2
08-09-2016, 09:10 AM
The fact that the club (under Uefa rules) have to give them 3 weeks off doesn't seem to be mentioned by you? He got slated last year for rushing Sanchez back, and he gets slated for giving 2 players an extra week off... he can't win imo

The issue of extended leave for Giroud and Koscielny is just being used by some supporters as a stick to beat Wenger but is really missing the glaringly obvious issue, and indeed the failure by Wenger to actually address the issue.

It has been 5-6 weeks or whatever since we were turned down by Vardy, so it would appear there has been very little in the realms of an alternate plan, perhaps simply an arrogance or confidence in that being a done deal. Nice and cheap lazy option.

Giroud does not need to be ‘rushed’ back as we have alternatives and the club should by now have secured further options having made it fundamentally clear to the world in May that we were in this market.

Defensively we were never really in the market other than a long-term purchase in Holding, the injury to Mertesacker threw that in the air a little but that was two weeks since so you really have to question how much he wants to buy as opposed to how much he wants to save a few bob by waiting until the 29th.

As it stands we don't need to rush Koscielny back for this weekend and if the plan was always for him to not play this weekend it should not be changed.

Pokster
08-09-2016, 09:14 AM
The issue of extended leave for Giroud and Koscielny is just being used by some supporters as a stick to beat Wenger but is really missing the glaringly obvious issue, and indeed the failure by Wenger to actually address the issue.

It has been 5-6 weeks or whatever since we were turned down by Vardy, so it would appear there has been very little in the realms of an alternate plan, perhaps simply an arrogance or confidence in that being a done deal. Nice and cheap lazy option.

Giroud does not need to be ‘rushed’ back as we have alternatives and the club should by now have secured further options having made it fundamentally clear to the world in May that we were in this market.

Defensively we were never really in the market other than a long-term purchase in Holding, the injury to Mertesacker threw that in the air a little but that was two weeks since so you really have to question how much he wants to buy as opposed to how much he wants to save a few bob by waiting until the 29th.

As it stands we don't need to rush Koscielny back for this weekend and if the plan was always for him to not play this weekend it should not be changed.

I agree 100%... he does nothing to change peoples mind that he is a ditherer and is overly tight with the clubs money... as far as I am aware we have made 1 very low bid for the French bloke and have enquired about the German defender but not made a bid. Not exactly goping all out to get the players we need

Mo Britain less Europe
08-09-2016, 09:44 AM
How come Sagna played on Sunday?

Pokster
08-09-2016, 09:49 AM
How come Sagna played on Sunday?

Because Cityn gave him the 3 weeks off.. we have given an extra week off... it's not hard to work out

Mo Britain less Europe
08-09-2016, 09:51 AM
So he has been over-indulgent then.

Pokster
08-09-2016, 10:15 AM
So he has been over-indulgent then.

Obviously you are having trouble with this... he got slated last yr for not giving Sanchez extra time, so he is being careful this yr.. it isn't over indulgent, it is looking after the long term interests

Mo Britain less Europe
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM
May I suggest our need for Koscielny this year was always going to be greater than our need for Alexis last year, not that I slated him for that then.

Yesterday Once More
08-09-2016, 10:31 AM
"He got slated last year for not giving Sanchez extra time"....by whom, and should it matter?

When it suits Wenger, he is stubborn/"strong-minded" (depending on your outlook) enough to ignore criticism of his methods, and when it doesn't he takes account of it and adapts. The problem is he ignores criticism when it is justified (reticence in the transfer market etc) and, as in this example, listens to it when it isn't justified.

Bottom line, he has given two players in the very positions in which we don't have adequate cover extra time off ahead of a difficult opening match. Let's see how that works out for him....

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-09-2016, 12:55 PM

:Williams:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
08-09-2016, 12:56 PM

Is this your considered and expert view?

Yesterday Once More
08-10-2016, 03:33 PM
I see Ozil, Koscielny and Giroud have sauntered along to training today. Damn good of them. I hope we provided tanning lotion and beach balls. Perish the thought they should have to be fit to play on Saturday.