PDA

View Full Version : I do rather love how bat**** insane the Labour Party is right now.

Burney
07-26-2016, 08:51 AM
They appear to be suing themselves now. :hehe:

I'm thinking of joining just to be part of the fun.

Sir C
07-26-2016, 08:56 AM
They appear to be suing themselves now. :hehe:

I'm thinking of joining just to be part of the fun.

It's even funnier than the days of Degsy and Kinnock. And even then you knew Degsy was just taking the piss.

These peoiple appear to be srious :hehe:

Burney
07-26-2016, 09:06 AM
It's even funnier than the days of Degsy and Kinnock. And even then you knew Degsy was just taking the piss.

These peoiple appear to be srious :hehe:

They've started saying things like 'winning elections isn't the be all and end all' and effectively conceding that they haven't a cat in hell's chance of winning an election. And when you point out to them that policies are pretty meaningless without power, they accuse you of thinking in outdated political terms and not understanding the value of the 'grassroots movement' that's being built.

They increasingly sound like a cult.

Brentwood
07-26-2016, 09:16 AM
They've started saying things like 'winning elections isn't the be all and end all' and effectively conceding that they haven't a cat in hell's chance of winning an election. And when you point out to them that policies are pretty meaningless without power, they accuse you of thinking in outdated political terms and not understanding the value of the 'grassroots movement' that's being built.

They increasingly sound like a cult.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoHjR5cWEAA0I2A.jpg

Burney
07-26-2016, 09:23 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoHjR5cWEAA0I2A.jpg

Oh that's pretty typical. They keep claiming Corbyn has won every election he's been involved in, when in fact they mean that in a couple of safe seats, Labour's vote share has decreased, in the council elections, he lost a major share of the vote and in the referendum, large sections of his 'support' simply ignored him.

Monty92
07-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Oh that's pretty typical. They keep claiming Corbyn has won every election he's been involved in, when in fact they mean that in a couple of safe seats, Labour's vote share has decreased, in the council elections, he lost a major share of the vote and in the referendum, large sections of his 'support' simply ignored him.

I'm a little bit surprised that you so casually dismiss the possibility of a Corbyn-led labour party mobilising the youth vote. I obviously pray that you're right, but am not *quite* so utterly certain as you.

Burney
07-26-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm a little bit surprised that you so casually dismiss the possibility of a Corbyn-led labout party mobilising the youth vote. I obviously pray that you're right, but am not *quite* so utterly certain as you.

The youth vote has all the value of ice on a hot day - they don't turn out and are statistically fairly insignificant. Also, remember which 'youth' you're talking about with Corbyn - well-to-do, middle class graduates or undergraduates. I don't think the young denizens of the council estates will be heading en masse to the voting booth to support Jezza.

Monty92
07-26-2016, 09:43 AM
The youth vote has all the value of ice on a hot day - they don't turn out and are statistically fairly insignificant. Also, remember which 'youth' you're talking about with Corbyn - well-to-do, middle class graduates or undergraduates. I don't think the young denizens of the council estates will be heading en masse to the voting booth to support Jezza.

We know that historically this is all true. I just worry about the power of social media, allied with the fact that the referendum *has* politicised many, many people and the momentum of that *could* carry over to a General Election. Especially given that the negativity over the EU result and the perceived lies told by the out campaigners continues to dominate the narrative.

Burney
07-26-2016, 09:48 AM
We know that historically this is all true. I just worry about the power of social media, allied with the fact that the referendum *has* politicised many, many people and the momentum of that *could* carry over to a General Election. Especially given that the negativity over the EU result and the perceived lies told by the out campaigners continues to dominate the narrative.

The brutal truth of the referendum 'politicising' people is that it's mostly politicised people from the lower socio-economic groups who generally don't vote. And it has politicised them not towards multi-cultural, metropolitan Labour, but towards UKIP. The people you're talking about were politicised anyway and most will have forgotten about the referendum by the time the next election comes around anyway.
Also, the reports from Labour's front-line party members is that the new influx are great at turning up at meetings to shout down anyone who opposes them, but not so much cop when it comes to the nitty gritty of doorstepping people, stuffing envelopes, driving people to the polls and all that other boring stuff that actually wins elections, so I wouldn't worry too much about the youth.