PDA

View Full Version : Talking of food, I have dinner at a friend's house tomorrow.

Sir C
07-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Originally they were going to book a restaurant because they 'don't really cook', but now they've decided that we'll eat in but we 'mustn't expect anything cordon bleu.'

I'm going to get a microwaved Marks and Spencer ready meal, aren't I?

How the **** can you get to be a middle-aged adult and be unable to cook a meal?

Burney
07-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Originally they were going to book a restaurant because they 'don't really cook', but now they've decided that we'll eat in but we 'mustn't expect anything cordon bleu.'

How the **** can you get to be a middle-aged adult and be unable to cook a meal?

You'd be lucky to get a ready meal. You're going to get 1970s-style chilli con carne or spag bol imo.

Pat Vegas
07-21-2016, 02:38 PM

I would think anybody could make a cottage or shepherds pie probably. Maybe not the right weather for one.

Sir C
07-21-2016, 02:40 PM
You'd be lucky to get a ready meal. You're going to get 1970s-style chilli con carne or spag bol imo.

I honestly don't think that lies within their repertoire.

I'm hoping they'll opt for a take away at the last minute.

Sir C
07-21-2016, 02:41 PM
I would think anybody could make a cottage or shepherds pie probably. Maybe not the right weather for one.

The trouble with cottage pie is that it takes 4 or 5 hours to cook down the shortrib or brisket into unctuousness; plus, of course, there's the stock to make...

Burney
07-21-2016, 02:46 PM
I honestly don't think that lies within their repertoire.

I'm hoping they'll opt for a take away at the last minute.

Oh, no. They've made the commitment now. The gauntlet is down. And you'll have to nom it up like a good boy and ask for seconds.

7sisters
07-21-2016, 03:01 PM
The trouble with cottage pie is that it takes 4 or 5 hours to cook down the shortrib or brisket into unctuousness; plus, of course, there's the stock to make...

Cottage pie's also not quite the thing when it's 25 deg plus out there.
My money's on a finest ' Lasagne ' supermarket offering with a handful of rocket and a few chopped cherry toms thrown in.
probably zero dressing :-(