PDA

View Full Version : 30+ years ago, when I was delivering cars for a living, I ate the same lunch each day

Sir C
07-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Double egg, double sausage, chips, two slices of bread and 'butter', tea.

This was possible because there was a transport caff available pretty much everywhere. Even motorway service stations had a separate bit round the back for lorry and trade plate drivers, where transport caff food was served at transport caff prices.

I can't remember the last time I saw a transport caff :-(

Anyway. There is no finer lunch than double egg, double sausage, chips, two slices of bread and 'butter', and tea.

Pat Vegas
07-21-2016, 12:52 PM

This was possible because there was a transport caff available pretty much everywhere. Even motorway service stations had a separate bit round the back for lorry and trade plate drivers, where transport caff food was served at transport caff prices.

Anyway. There is no finer lunch than double egg, double sausage, chips, two slices of bread and 'butter', and tea.

You can't beat it. Unfortunately I do not eat anything pleasurable anymore. But I am getting used to it.
the weight is falling off :cloud9:

Ash
07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Agreed. A most splendid lunch, or late breakfast, though I often add beans for some juice to dip chips in when the molten egg-gold runs out.

http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/truckstops/a-b-roads

Pat Vegas
07-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Agreed. A most splendid lunch, or late breakfast, though I often add beans for some juice to dip chips in when the molten egg-gold runs out.

I used to like this sort of breakfast too much. I had a phase where I'd have it every single lunchtime. to the point where I didn't order and it would be ready for me. I think I had put on 2 stone after a while.

Burney
07-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Why weren't you fatter?

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Why weren't you fatter?

I was 18 and playing semi-pro sport :shrug:

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:09 PM
You can't beat it. Unfortunately I do not eat anything pleasurable anymore. But I am getting used to it.
the weight is falling off :cloud9:

I'm getting heavier, running every day is building muscle quickly now :cloud9:

However, I'm supposed to add some fat as my body fat percentage is too low :-(

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:11 PM

I'm struggling with their search thing. Can you find me a caff just north of Leamington Spa please thanxbi.

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Why weren't you fatter?

Some news:

http://deadline.com/2016/07/john-le-carre-the-spy-who-came-in-from-the-cold-limited-series-paramount-tv-1201789173/

7sisters
07-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Little Chef - Olympic Breakfast :cloud9:

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Little Chef - Olympic Breakfast :cloud9:

Little Chefs are rare these days though. They do only use free range eggs, of course.

Brentwood
07-21-2016, 01:17 PM

I'm a big fan of the Fry Up Police page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/fryuppolice/

Pokster
07-21-2016, 01:19 PM
I'm getting heavier, running every day is building muscle quickly now :cloud9:

However, I'm supposed to add some fat as my body fat percentage is too low :-(

How far are you running each day?

Burney
07-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Some news:

http://deadline.com/2016/07/john-le-carre-the-spy-who-came-in-from-the-cold-limited-series-paramount-tv-1201789173/

Will they be able to make it grotty and shabby enough, though? :-\ He's shagging a commie librarian in a bedsit in North London whilst drinking heavily for most of the book. Not exactly the glamorous locations of 'The Night Manager', is it?

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Will they be able to make it grotty and shabby enough, though? :-\ He's shagging a commie librarian in a bedsit in North London whilst drinking heavily for most of the book. Not exactly the glamorous locations of 'The Night Manager', is it?

I worry about destroying Richard Burton's Alec Lemus, more than anything :-(

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:24 PM
How far are you running each day?

Between 5 and 8k, depending. Working on increasing pace rather than distance at the moment.

Ash
07-21-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the Fry Up Police page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/fryuppolice/

Right. Hash browns can **** right off. Unless it's on a meat-dodgers brekky, of course. Next to the compressed slab of bubble.

Pokster
07-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Between 5 and 8k, depending. Working on increasing pace rather than distance at the moment.

Well done, doing it for any other reason apart from fitness? How long for 5k?

I am slowly getting back to running and my knees aren't complaining too much yet

Ash
07-21-2016, 01:31 PM
I'm struggling with their search thing. Can you find me a caff just north of Leamington Spa please thanxbi.

Hmmm. They're not well stocked for Warwickshire. You can get an all-day breakfast in Kenilworth, though.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186398-d3461581-Reviews-Time_for_Tea-Kenilworth_Warwickshire_England.html

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:32 PM

I am slowly getting back to running and my knees aren't complaining too much yet

Just fitness. Started doing it every day a month ago just to see how long I could keep it up, and it's just become a habit. I did miss three days due to a blister. 5k in 25:30 :hide:

My knees won't handle pavement so I'm stuck on a treadmill.

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Hmmm. They're not well stocked for Warwickshire. You can get an all-day breakfast in Kenilworth, though.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186398-d3461581-Reviews-Time_for_Tea-Kenilworth_Warwickshire_England.html

Bit far off the M40. I seek breakfast en route to Borrowdale after an overnight in Leamington.

Looks like it will have to be the hotel buffet :-( I hate hotel breakfasts.

7sisters
07-21-2016, 01:36 PM

I was a cross country district champion in my teens, I can honestly say, I look at most joggers who have reached the wrong side of 45 and can't help thinking they'd be better off at that age on a bike.
A bike should protect joints and enable people to either set a relaxed pace or go the full Wiggins.
While out with the dog, I constantly witness their red faces consumed with sweat as they struggle and puff their way up hills at essentially, fast walking pace. Queueing up for a coronary, most of em, particularly in this weather.
I'd argue that even amongst the accomplished, it's not doing their joints any favours at that age :shrug:

Ash
07-21-2016, 01:38 PM
I used to like this sort of breakfast too much. I had a phase where I'd have it every single lunchtime. to the point where I didn't order and it would be ready for me. I think I had put on 2 stone after a while.

A 6k walk either side of it tends to keep things fairly stable, I find.

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:43 PM
I was a cross country district champion in my teens, I can honestly say, I look at most joggers who have reached the wrong side of 45 and can't help thinking they'd be better off at that age on a bike.
A bike should protect joints and enable people to either set a relaxed pace or go the full Wiggins.
While out with the dog, I constantly witness their red faces consumed with sweat as they struggle and puff their way up hills at essentially, fast walking pace. Queueing up for a coronary, most of em, particularly in this weather.
I'd argue that even amongst the accomplished, it's not doing their joints any favours at that age :shrug:

Meh. I've got a mate who's the same age as me and just done a half marathon in 1:38.

Pokster
07-21-2016, 01:48 PM
Meh. I've got a mate who's the same age as me and just done a half marathon in 1:38.

Ex colleague of mine won the 45-49 yr old London Marathon womens race in 2:52

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Ex colleague of mine won the 45-49 yr old London Marathon womens race in 2:52

Freak.

Her, not you.

What was your marathon time?

Pokster
07-21-2016, 01:55 PM
Freak.

Her, not you.

What was your marathon time?

Bloody rubbish.. just over 5hrs, knees started giving up at 6 and finally gave up completely at 16... might try for Great north Run next year as I think i could get through a half without too much pain

Sir C
07-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Bloody rubbish.. just over 5hrs, knees started giving up at 6 and finally gave up completely at 16... might try for Great north Run next year as I think i could get through a half without too much pain

You got round :shrug:

Sometimes at 8k I consider the idea of facing a further 33 k and just giggle.

Pokster
07-21-2016, 01:59 PM
You got round :shrug:

Sometimes at 8k I consider the idea of facing a further 33 k and just giggle.

Quite proud I didn't give up.. especially as I had done it before... was in a lot of pain but figured a fast walk/jog would get me back about as quickly as public transport

Sir C
07-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Quite proud I didn't give up.. especially as I had done it before... was in a lot of pain but figured a fast walk/jog would get me back about as quickly as public transport

The day I can do 10k in 45 mins I'm going to hang up my trainers and go back to being a fat ******* again.