PDA

View Full Version : OldWIMB- you know what's an annoyingly accurate age yardstick? Coins and banknotes.

Burney
07-19-2016, 01:11 PM
You can be talking to a perfectly mature adult in their 30s who seems of a similar vintage to you and just happen to mention using pound notes, ha'pennies or the fact that you remember when the 20p piece came in and they look at you like you've just said you fought in the First World War or something. Depressing. :-( :old:

Mo Britain less Europe
07-19-2016, 01:14 PM
You can be talking to a perfectly mature adult in their 30s who seems of a similar vintage to you and just happen to mention using pound notes, ha'pennies or the fact that you remember when the 20p piece came in and they look at you like you've just said you fought in the First World War or something. Depressing. :-( :old:

I was thinking the other day that to do away with coins would finally end the annoying "spare some change please".

Burney
07-19-2016, 01:16 PM
I was thinking the other day that to do away with coins would finally end the annoying "spare some change please".

I never quite understood getting rid of the one pound note. The Yanqui still have the dollar bill (which is worth less), so we should have the pound note.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 01:18 PM

Try musing wryly on the dreadful moaning that went on after decimalisation. "The shops were supposed to keep prices the same but of course everything went up overnight..." :-(

Burney
07-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Try musing wryly on the dreadful moaning that went on after decimalisation. "The shops were supposed to keep prices the same but of course everything went up overnight..." :-(

Pipe down, grandad! You'll be moaning about us coming off the gold standard next.

PSRB
07-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Never understood why they insist on sitting beside cash machines, not as if anyone is going to give them a tenner

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
07-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Probably how you'd look at me for mentioning 10 bob notes, thru'penny bits and half a crown :nod: