PDA

View Full Version : I think Donald Trump is dangerously unqualified to be President, but at this point

Monty92
07-19-2016, 08:42 AM
I think I’m one more terrorist attack away from proffering him my support. Simply on the basis that we might as well go down fighting, at least.

As for Britain, with the most right-leaning government for decades unable to even acknowledge the true nature of the threats we face, the situation for us is clearly intractable for the forseable future. So that leaves us with the utterly sickening but existentially necessary choice of pinning our hopes on Europe's burgeoning nationalist parties and The Donald. :shrug:

Sir C
07-19-2016, 08:52 AM
I think I’m one more terrorist attack away from proffering him my support. Simply on the basis that we might as well go down fighting, at least.

As for Britain, with the most right-leaning government for decades unable to even acknowledge the true nature of the threats we face, the situation for us is clearly intractable for the forseable future. So that leaves us with the utterly sickening but existentially necessary choice of pinning our hopes on Europe's burgeoning nationalist parties and The Donald. :shrug:

It's easy to feel frustrated at our politicians apparent lack of cojones to actually address the issue, I agree, but the question remains: having acknowledged that the problem is radical Islam, what are you going to do about it?

Send the security services into Islamic communities to drag suspected radicals out onto the straight by their hair, then use forceful techniques to extract confessions and lock them away forever? This sort of technique of going in very hard and very publicly had some success in NI for a while until the government lost their bottle and reined the paras in - maybe it would do some good, maybe it would make things worse. I just don't know.

Long term, of course, you have to take out the root of the carefully annotated Korans and the dissemination of Wahabism, but taking out Saudi Arabia probably means starting WWlll. So that's one to consider quite carefully.

**** knows what we should do.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:00 AM
It's easy to feel frustrated at our politicians apparent lack of cojones to actually address the issue, I agree, but the question remains: having acknowledged that the problem is radical Islam, what are you going to do about it?

Send the security services into Islamic communities to drag suspected radicals out onto the straight by their hair, then use forceful techniques to extract confessions and lock them away forever? This sort of technique of going in very hard and very publicly had some success in NI for a while until the government lost their bottle and reined the paras in - maybe it would do some good, maybe it would make things worse. I just don't know.

Long term, of course, you have to take out the root of the carefully annotated Korans and the dissemination of Wahabism, but taking out Saudi Arabia probably means starting WWlll. So that's one to consider quite carefully.

No-one expects the threat to be eliminated any time soon, but there are entirely feasible measures that could be taken that would at least reduce the threat and save many lives. If I were German, I may suggest that one of those measures could have been to not let last night's stabby Allan into my country along with 1 million of his pious brothers (and a handful of sisters).

As a more extreme but highly pragmatic measure (if the public appetite allowed it), Trump's suggestion of banning all Muslims from entering the US seems like a ****ing good idea.

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:03 AM
No-one expects the threat to be eliminated any time soon, but there are entirely feasible measures that could be taken that would at least reduce the threat and save many lives. If I were German, I may suggest that one of those measures could have been to not let last night's stabby Allan into my country along with 1 million of his pious brothers (and a handful of sisters).

As a more extreme but highly pragmatic measure (if the public appetite allowed it), Trump's suggestion of banning all Muslims from entering the US seems like a ****ing good idea.

Does it state religion on your passport?

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:04 AM
No-one expects the threat to be eliminated any time soon, but there are entirely feasible measures that could be taken that would at least reduce the threat and save many lives. If I were German, I may suggest that one of those measures could have been to not let last night's stabby Allan into the country along with 1 million of his pious brothers (and a handful of sisters).

Well, with regard to last night's stabby Allan, it's too late to not let him in now, and unless he mentioned what he was planning to do when he arrived at the border, they wouldn't have known not to let him in anyway; so we come to the banning all muslims startegy, which I can't see getting great support from the public. But anyway, that's only one measure. Do you have any more? I'm genuinely interested, because I've got nothing.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Does it state religion on your passport?

You're right, not all of the refugees who arrived in Europe from the Middle East and North Africa are Muslim in recent years. I apologise for not qualifying my comments by making this clear.

Burney
07-19-2016, 09:07 AM

The first thing you do is to manage the problems you have the power to deal with. And yes, that means dealing with those elements of the muslim community who encourage, recruit for, support and succour terrorism. That means closing down certain mosques and madrassas, detaining dangerous individuals, closing Islamic schools, outlawing the dissemination of certain ideas and literature and generally making it clear that this country is not going to be a safe haven for people who incite and support violence against the West. That will certainly involve some restrictions on civil liberties, but if Shami ****ing Chakhrabati wants to wring her hands about that, then let her. I won't lose any sleep.

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:09 AM
You're right, not all of the refugees who arrived in Europe from the Middle East and North Africa are Muslim in recent years. I apologise for not qualifying my comments by making this clear.

You said ban Muslims from entereing the country... please explain how on earth you can do that.... or do you mean ban anyone who comes from certain country's... and then i suppose you then have to ban anyone who might be a natyional from oe of those country's and now lives elsewhere, and perhaps all their children/grandchildren just in case. Oh well, means my Mrs can't travel as her dad was born in Algeria.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Well, with regard to last night's stabby Allan, it's too late to not let him in now, and unless he mentioned what he was planning to do when he arrived at the border, they wouldn't have known not to let him in anyway; so we come to the banning all muslims startegy, which I can't see getting great support from the public. But anyway, that's only one measure. Do you have any more? I'm genuinely interested, because I've got nothing.

No, I'm suggesting stabby Allan should not have been allowed to become a German citizen regardless of his religion.

Do you think there's a tipping point at which governments could be forced, either due to public pressure or sheer exasperation, to implement previously unthinkable measures to stem this threat? Like, what happens if a dirty bomb took out 50,000?

I guess when you ask me for suggestions, this is where I inevitably find myself pointing.

Billy Goat Sverige
07-19-2016, 09:13 AM

The whole refugee thing is complete nonsense. Any **** can claim asylum and you have to let them in whether they have a legitimate claim or not. Afghanistan probably doesn't have any men left under the age of 35, and why they're allowed to claim asylum is beyond me. There was a news piece on Swedish news about an Afghan chap who was leaving Kabul for Sweden and his family were sad he was leaving. Not they felt so endangered themselves that they wanted to follow with, they were upset they wouldn't see their son again. ****ing load of ****, I'm sick of it.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:15 AM
You said ban Muslims from entereing the country... please explain how on earth you can do that.... or do you mean ban anyone who comes from certain country's... and then i suppose you then have to ban anyone who might be a natyional from oe of those country's and now lives elsewhere, and perhaps all their children/grandchildren just in case. Oh well, means my Mrs can't travel as her dad was born in Algeria.

I'm terribly sorry if your wife would be unable to travel overseas while we attempted to tackle a global existential crisis. May I suggest a long weekend in Cornwall? The weather there can be delightful.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:15 AM
No, I'm suggesting stabby Allan should not have been allowed to become a German citizen regardless of his religion.

Do you think there's a tipping point at which governments could be forced, either due to public pressure or sheer exasperation, to implement previously unthinkable measures to stem this threat? Like, what happens if a dirty bomb took out 50,000?

I guess when you ask me for suggestions, this is where I inevitably find myself pointing.

Yes, but what are these previously unthinkable measures to which you refer?

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Yes, but what are these previously unthinkable measures to which you refer?

The shutting down of borders, huge restriction of civil liberties. The stuff of nightmares, basically.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:19 AM
The first thing you do is to manage the problems you have the power to deal with. And yes, that means dealing with those elements of the muslim community who encourage, recruit for, support and succour terrorism. That means closing down certain mosques and madrassas, detaining dangerous individuals, closing Islamic schools, outlawing the dissemination of certain ideas and literature and generally making it clear that this country is not going to be a safe haven for people who incite and support violence against the West. That will certainly involve some restrictions on civil liberties, but if Shami ****ing Chakhrabati wants to wring her hands about that, then let her. I won't lose any sleep.

The PM/Home Secretary who went down that road would need *******s like granite space hoppers. There would be riots, someone would get killed by a rubber bullet, it would be a nightmare.

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm terribly sorry if your wife would be unable to travel overseas while we attempted to tackle a global existential crisis. May I suggest a long weekend in Cornwall? The weather there can be delightful.

So what about our kids, because I'm not sure on her passport or theirs that it states that their relative originally came from Algeria over 50 yrs ago.. You, as per usual, have opened your mouth without even thinking through the impossible logistics of all this.

Burney
07-19-2016, 09:20 AM

The problem is that reasonable, moderate, liberal Western governments will never have the will to act harshly, which is increasingly forcing the electorate towards the extreme ends of the political spectrum just in the hope of somebody doing something. Liberalism is virtually defined by its own inability to act harshly except under the most extreme circumstances.

It's why liberal democracies tend to be **** at World Wars until such time as the existential threat is sufficiently real for them to stop ****ing about and they are prepared to be just as - if not more - ruthless than the bad guys where necessary.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:21 AM
The shutting down of borders, huge restriction of civil liberties. The stuff of nightmares, basically.

Oh, that stuff. The public won't stand for it unless bombs are going off every day. Even then, you'll struggle to get the (British) public to go along with the harsher stuff.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:23 AM
So what about our kids, because I'm not sure on her passport or theirs that it states that their relative originally came from Algeria over 50 yrs ago.. You, as per usual, have opened your mouth without even thinking through the impossible logistics of all this.

Is it never possible to have a conversation without becoming abusive? Never?

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Is it never possible to have a conversation without becoming abusive? Never?

How have i been abusive? Please show your workings

Burney
07-19-2016, 09:24 AM
The PM/Home Secretary who went down that road would need *******s like granite space hoppers. There would be riots, someone would get killed by a rubber bullet, it would be a nightmare.

:shrug: The fact is that this will have to happen sooner or later - I'd just rather it happened before some cataclysmic act of terror rather than after it.

Burney
07-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Oh, that stuff. The public won't stand for it unless bombs are going off every day. Even then, you'll struggle to get the (British) public to go along with the harsher stuff.

I'm not sure about that. I think there are large sections of the British public who would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the repression of muslims. Indeed, I think they'd cheer.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure about that. I think there are large sections of the British public who would have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the repression of muslims. Indeed, I think they'd cheer.

But such oppressive legislation would almost certainly impact on the non-Muslim population as well, no?

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:30 AM
How have i been abusive? Please show your workings

He has rained an interesting point. He has conjectured, hypothetically. You instantly try to shut him down by telling him 'You, as per usual, have opened your mouth without even thinking through the impossible logistics of all this.'

Why not address his point without dismissing him as someone who never thinks?

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:35 AM
He has rained an interesting point. He has conjectured, hypothetically. You instantly try to shut him down by telling him 'You, as per usual, have opened your mouth without even thinking through the impossible logistics of all this.'

Why not address his point without dismissing him as someone who never thinks?

I apologise. I thought i had addressed the point that banning Muslims from travelling is impossible and unless you ban travel from any country that has a large Muslim populuation it can't be achieved. I also pointed out that how far back do you want to go to ban people who are descended from people who have left largely muslim country's?

There isn't an easy answer ( not sure there is an answer) but trying to ban a religion from travelling is unworkable as religion is not mentioned on a passport.

Is that better??

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:39 AM
I apologise. I thought i had addressed the point that banning Muslims from travelling is impossible and unless you ban travel from any country that has a large Muslim populuation it can't be achieved. I also pointed out that how far back do you want to go to ban people who are descended from people who have left largely muslim country's?

There isn't an easy answer ( not sure there is an answer) but trying to ban a religion from travelling is unworkable as religion is not mentioned on a passport.

Is that better??

The thing is, if we could conceivably ban all muslims, virtually the entire political class would object simply on the grounds that this would be unfair to the vast majority of innocent muslims.

This is problematic, since we are reaching a point where civil liberties will have to be eroded - for all of us, but mainly for muslims. But people's fanatical obsession with equality, especially around matters of religion and race, are going to make it hard for governments to implement increasingly essential measures.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 09:39 AM

Is that better??

Well, it's a reply, but it's still dripping with aggression. Why always so angry? Just calm down, you'll give yourself an infarct.

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Well, it's a reply, but it's still dripping with aggression. Why always so angry? Just calm down, you'll give yourself an infarct.

Dripping with sweat but certainly no aggression

Burney
07-19-2016, 09:40 AM
But such oppressive legislation would almost certainly impact on the non-Muslim population as well, no?

Tangentially, yes. However, its major impact would be felt by that very specific section of the community.

Pokster
07-19-2016, 09:41 AM
The thing is, if we could conceivably ban all muslims, virtually the entire political class would object simply on the grounds that this would be unfair to the vast majority of innocent muslims.

This is problematic, since we are reaching a point where civil liberties will have to be eroded - for all of us, but mainly for muslims. But people's fanatical obsession with equality, especially around matters of religion and race, are going to make it hard for governments to implement increasingly essential measures.

Still not sure you can ban a religion? people will just lie about their religion won't they? Not sure how you can ban a religion from travelling

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Still not sure you can ban a religion? people will just lie about their religion won't they? Not sure how you can ban a religion from travelling

Of course some will slip through, but we are talking about mitigating not eliminating the threat. Something you can do by aggressive racial profiling, for starters.

Burney
07-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Yes, but as has been made abundantly clear of late, the political class is miles behind the public in terms of their grasp of the public mood.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
07-19-2016, 09:56 AM

This is just the kind of trite and flippant response that does not help one iota. You know damn well the weather in Cornwall is usually appalling and will ruin any ill conceived notions you may have had about that grubby little yokel hole being a desirable holiday destination.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 09:56 AM
Yes, but as has been made abundantly clear of late, the political class is miles behind the public in terms of their grasp of the public mood.

In America, yes. But in the UK, I'm not so sure. Maybe we need our own 9/11 (7/7 was a bit of a damp squib, if we're honest).

Burney
07-19-2016, 10:00 AM
This is just the kind of trite and flippant response that does not help one iota. You know damn well the weather in Cornwall is usually appalling and will ruin any ill conceived notions you may have had about that grubby little yokel hole being a desirable holiday destination.

I've always preferred Devon to Cornwall.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 10:05 AM

I went there once and the weather was quite nice. Mind you, I ouldn't swear that it was Cornwall; it could have been Dorset. Or Devon. Possibly Hampshire.

It was out west anyway.

07-19-2016, 10:05 AM
I've always preferred Devon to Cornwall.

Oh absolutely. Greener, pleasant scenery, plenty of escape routes and not so many sour faced little troglodytes speaking in that deeply irksome yokel accent. :nod:

Pokster
07-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Oh absolutely. Greener, pleasant scenery, plenty of escape routes and not so many sour faced little troglodytes speaking in that deeply irksome yokel accent. :nod:

Never been to the West Country

07-19-2016, 10:07 AM
I went there once and the weather was quite nice. Mind you, I ouldn't swear that it was Cornwall; it could have been Dorset. Or Devon. Possibly Hampshire.

It was out west anyway.

Sure it wasn't Gloucester? Was everyone manifestly educationally sub-normal with an alarming likeness to Fred West?

Sir C
07-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Sure it wasn't Gloucester? Was everyone manifestly educationally sub-normal with an alarming likeness to Fred West?

It was miles and miles away and I stayed at Rick Stein's place, wherein he fed me a rather stunning lobster thermidor.

Does that help?

07-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Never been to the West Country

Probably best not go Poks mate, they wouldn't take to Muslim folk like you. I think your propensity to stick your arses in the air four times a day to bellow your prayers would alarm them.

Pokster
07-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Probably best not go Poks mate, they wouldn't take to Muslim folk like you. I think your propensity to stick your arses in the air four times a day to bellow your prayers would alarm them.

Sounds like I'd be more at home in Norfolk

07-19-2016, 10:12 AM
It was miles and miles away and I stayed at Rick Stein's place, wherein he fed me a rather stunning lobster thermidor.

Does that help?

Rick Stein? Is that some famous american aviator or summat?

Sir C
07-19-2016, 10:14 AM

He is a cook. Specialises in seafood. Talented fellow, should go far.

Burney
07-19-2016, 10:19 AM

What was so great about his thermidor?

Burney
07-19-2016, 10:20 AM

I don't really trust English people who call themselves 'Rick'.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 10:23 AM
What was so great about his thermidor?

The lobster was enormous and most deliciously chewy, just how i like it. The thermidor was good and cheesy and mustardy.

Basically, it was a lobster thermidor. A really good lobster thermidor.

To be honest I've eaten four or five times at the Seafood Restaurant and it's always just about perfect. A Dover Sole meuniere is a great Dover Sole meuniere, for example. Nothing flashy about it, just perfectly fresh fish cooked perfectly well.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 10:31 AM
The lobster was enormous and most deliciously chewy, just how i like it. The thermidor was good and cheesy and mustardy.

Basically, it was a lobster thermidor. A really good lobster thermidor.

To be honest I've eaten four or five times at the Seafood Restaurant and it's always just about perfect. A Dover Sole meuniere is a great Dover Sole meuniere, for example. Nothing flashy about it, just perfectly fresh fish cooked perfectly well.

I like fish, but I've noticed the best anyone has to say about it is that it's "fresh". See also: sushi and sashimi. Surely the biggest gastronomy cons of all.

Went to Barrafina Drury Lane yesterday. Got a table outside in the sunshine. On my birthday. :cloud9:

07-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Oh I know the fella now - too softly spoken and pleasant for me. I like my cooks to be aggressive, bullying sweary posh ****s like that fake footballer Gordon Ramsay.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 10:35 AM
I like fish, but I've noticed the best anyone has to say about it is that it's "fresh". See also: sushi and sashimi. Surely the biggest gastronomy cons of all.

Went to Barrafina Drury Lane yesterday. Got a table outside in the sunshine. On my birthday. :cloud9:

I like sashimi, it's a textural thing, I think. Sushi I can take or leave.

Happy birthday for yesterday. Did you have the morcilla tortilla or the suckling pig?

07-19-2016, 10:37 AM

I don't get fish. It's slimey and smelly. The same characteristics as punanny. Unlike you M, I like eating punanny but not actually ingesting it if you get my meaning.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 10:42 AM
I like sashimi, it's a textural thing, I think. Sushi I can take or leave.

Happy birthday for yesterday. Did you have the morcilla tortilla or the suckling pig?

I've had both in the Adelaide St branch, but Drury Lane has a slightly different menu. Rabo de toro (braised ox tail) was the stand-out dish. I could probably have done without the 250g sirloin steak after working our way through half the menu, but it's the kind of place where you just don't want to stop eating.

That's me done for a few months. Baby due on Thursday :-|

Burney
07-19-2016, 10:50 AM
I don't get fish. It's slimey and smelly. The same characteristics as punanny. Unlike you M, I like eating punanny but not actually ingesting it if you get my meaning.

I would suggest that you ought to reconsider your choice of fishmonger and sexual partner.

Burney
07-19-2016, 10:51 AM
I've had both in the Adelaide St branch, but Drury Lane has a slightly different menu. Rabo de toro (braised ox tail) was the stand-out dish. I could probably have done without the 250g sirloin steak after working our way through half the menu, but it's the kind of place where you just don't want to stop eating.

That's me done for a few months. Baby due on Thursday :-|

****ing hell. That was quick, wunnit? I only seem to remember you announcing it a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, hope it goes well.

07-19-2016, 10:55 AM
I would suggest that you ought to reconsider your choice of fishmonger and sexual partner.

I wouldn't break yer mum's heart like that B

Monty92
07-19-2016, 11:02 AM
****ing hell. That was quick, wunnit? I only seem to remember you announcing it a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, hope it goes well.

Thank you........

Burney
07-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Thank you........

Can't remember whether you know what flavour of baby you're getting or not.

Sir C
07-19-2016, 11:25 AM

It's a goy.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 11:29 AM

A chick - Ines (still think that name looks weird written down, but I do like it when spoken)

Burney
07-19-2016, 11:34 AM
A chick - Ines (still think that name looks weird written down, but I do like it when spoken)

That's pronounced In-yez, yes? Are you expecting the baby to be a Spaniard?

Monty92
07-19-2016, 11:37 AM
That's pronounced In-yez, yes? Are you expecting the baby to be a Spaniard?

In-ez

10 characters

Burney
07-19-2016, 11:45 AM
In-ez

10 characters

Isn't it supposed to have some sort of whatsit over the 'e'?

Mo Britain less Europe
07-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Give them a bacon sarnie and a crucifix and see how they cope with it.

Monty92
07-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Isn't it supposed to have some sort of whatsit over the 'e'?

Technically. My girlf wants to put one on the birth certificate. We'll prob do that.