PDA

View Full Version : Anyone off to Turkey on their holidays, then?

Sir C
07-18-2016, 08:28 AM
Intriguing stuff. Will Erdogan go the full mental and sharia the place up?

Pokster
07-18-2016, 08:37 AM

Yes, in a months time :gulp:

Saying that, went to France last year and would you class that as any safer at the moment?

Ash
07-18-2016, 08:41 AM

He'll probably declare himself leader of the Caliphate, and restore the Ottoman Empire.

Sir C
07-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Yes, in a months time :gulp:

Saying that, went to France last year and would you class that as any safer at the moment?

Nah, France is fine. I'm off there next week, don't have a care in the world.

The problem with Turkey at this point is the potential for a) a collapse into all-out civil war, b) a takeover by hardline Islamofascist infidel-slaughterers, or c) Erdogan continuing to cosy up to Putin, continuing to lose his **** with the US, and triggering WWlll.

Still. You'll be fine. I expect.

Sir C
07-18-2016, 08:45 AM
He'll probably declare himself leader of the Caliphate, and restore the Ottoman Empire.

You've got to feel sorry for the Kurds. Man, he's going to give them a serious kicking :-(

Pokster
07-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Nah, France is fine. I'm off there next week, don't have a care in the world.

The problem with Turkey at this point is the potential for a) a collapse into all-out civil war, b) a takeover by hardline Islamofascist infidel-slaughterers, or c) Erdogan continuing to cosy up to Putin, continuing to lose his **** with the US, and triggering WWlll.

Still. You'll be fine. I expect.

Not too concerned at this stage, in the tourist bits so a long way from where is kicked off this time

Burney
07-18-2016, 08:54 AM

Hmmm. My trip to Istanbul may have to be pushed back a wee bit.

Not often one says this, but it's a real shame that coup didn't succeed. Mind you, it was a bit half-arsed. Surely the first thing you do in a coup is secure all the means of communication and the bloke you want to overthrow?

I think if he pushes the thing too far, the US will have to get rid of him one way or another. They can't have their key nuclear and military bases threatened.

Burney
07-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Not too concerned at this stage, in the tourist bits so a long way from where is kicked off this time

With what? He currently doesn't have a functioning military. :shrug:

Sir C
07-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Hmmm. My trip to Istanbul may have to be pushed back a wee bit.

Not often one says this, but it's a real shame that coup didn't succeed. Mind you, it was a bit half-arsed. Surely the first thing you do in a coup is secure all the means of communication and the bloke you want to overthrow?

I think if he pushes the thing too far, the US will have to get rid of him one way or another. They can't have their key nuclear and military bases threatened.

Yes, it seems odd that, having got to within touching distance of joining the EU, he has chosen to crawl up Putin's back passage, declare his country a third-world tinpot dictatorship, and provoke the US into nuking his ass.

Mr Erdogan either has a really, really clever plan, or he's a certifiable maniac.

Burney
07-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Yes, it seems odd that, having got to within touching distance of joining the EU, he has chosen to crawl up Putin's back passage, declare his country a third-world tinpot dictatorship, and provoke the US into nuking his ass.

Mr Erdogan either has a really, really clever plan, or he's a certifiable maniac.

The amusing thing is that Merkel's just done a refugee deal with them that allows visa-free access for God knows how many Turks and is now looking at the very real possibility that the Turks themselves could well soon be fleeing the country for Europe. :hehe:

IUFG
07-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Could have flown to Dubai and back on Turkish Airlines for less than £300.

The Ukrainians were even cheaper :yikes:

I think I'll stick with Emirates tbh

Sir C
07-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Could have flown to Dubai and back on Turkish Airlines for less than £300.

The Ukrainians were even cheaper :yikes:

I think I'll stick with Emirates tbh

Turkish Airlines buisness class is alleged to be very good, actually.

I'd swerve it as well though.

Mo Britain less Europe
07-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Russian sanctions were crippling Turkey and what they Turks did in downing the Russian plane was wrong anyway.

The EU was flirting with Turkey but I don't think they have any serious intention of allowing them in until post-Erdogan.