PDA

View Full Version : One wonders how much longer France can maintain its patience.

Burney
07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Four major terrorist attacks in 18 months is enough to test anyone's spirit of tolerance.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Four major terrorist attacks in 18 months is enough to test anyone's spirit of tolerance.

Hard to know what they can do though, really - unless the security services have been pussyfooting around the banlieues trying not to cause offence...

Burney
07-15-2016, 08:53 AM
I dunno. Mass round-ups, large-scale extra-judicial killings - it's not like the French have been too squeamish to do things like that in the relatively recent past. I couldn't blame them if they did :shrug:

Sir C
07-15-2016, 08:56 AM
I dunno. Mass round-ups, large-scale extra-judicial killings - it's not like the French have been too squeamish to do things like that in the relatively recent past. I couldn't blame them if they did :shrug:

Simon Jenkins straight in with the 'do nothing!' article already. He must have a stash of them written in advance.

Burney
07-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Yes, I saw that. Woefully predictable. These Allan ****ers must find our pusillanimity utterly hilarious. No wonder they despise us.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Yes, I saw that. Woefully predictable. These Allan ****ers must find our pusillanimity utterly hilarious. No wonder they despise us.

I saw a line from Valls that I assumed must have been mistranslated. "France must learn to live withg terrorism." That would be a mind-boggling surrender. I'll see if I can find it in the froganese.

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:14 AM

What do you say to those who claim that mass-round ups etc would play into the hands of our enemy by recruiting millions more to their cause?

Ash
07-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Simon Jenkins straight in with the 'do nothing!' article already. He must have a stash of them written in advance.

We could always submit, and convert, I suppose. :hehe:

:-|

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:16 AM
I saw a line from Valls that I assumed must have been mistranslated. "France must learn to live withg terrorism." That would be a mind-boggling surrender. I'll see if I can find it in the froganese.

Yeah, he could have at least added "until we've worked out the common denominator between all of these attacks and confronted that head on"

Burney
07-15-2016, 09:18 AM
I say that we're already in a war with these ****ers, but some people are just too cowardly to admit it and realise that fighting back would be an admission of the fact.

Pokster
07-15-2016, 09:18 AM

Mass round ups? Who exactly would you round up? this bloke wasn't on their terrorist suspect lists, he was just known to police for other matters.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Mass round ups? Who exactly would you round up? this bloke wasn't on their terrorist suspect lists, he was just known to police for other matters.

Well, oine suspects that the police and security services know of many individuals they are pretty sure are radical, many mosques where such radicalism is propagated and so on, but lack hard evidence to address these matters within the bounds of the law; it is feasible that, at some point, the government will allow them to, shall we say, stretch the limits of the law? See 'Big Boys Rules', the story of the SAS in Northern Ireland, for example; or, indeed, the SAS in Gibraltar.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
07-15-2016, 09:26 AM
Yeah, he could have at least added "until we've worked out the common denominator between all of these attacks and confronted that head on"

Elaborate M. Do you believe you have identified the common demoninator? (apart from simply just ****in Allans)

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:28 AM
I say that we're already in a war with these ****ers, but some people are just too cowardly to admit it and realise that fighting back would be an admission of the fact.

But conventional wars are fought with finite resources and man-power.

Pokster
07-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Well, oine suspects that the police and security services know of many individuals they are pretty sure are radical, many mosques where such radicalism is propagated and so on, but lack hard evidence to address these matters within the bounds of the law; it is feasible that, at some point, the government will allow them to, shall we say, stretch the limits of the law? See 'Big Boys Rules', the story of the SAS in Northern Ireland, for example; or, indeed, the SAS in Gibraltar.

True, but that still wouldn't stop people like this who wasn't on the terrorist radar before yesterday

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:29 AM
True, but that still wouldn't stop people like this who wasn't on the terrorist radar before yesterday

But under a variation of "Big Boy Rules", he would be on the terrorist radar by virtue of his faith.

Pat Vegas
07-15-2016, 09:30 AM

This time of attack is terrible too. Although it's reported he was also shooting. What can you do to stop someone buying a lorry and doing this? Not much.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 09:30 AM

I suppose it might be argued that if you go in harder and break some balls, you're likely to get more information, and he may have ended up on the radar and on the waterboard prior to his truck-driving escapade. :shrug:

07-15-2016, 09:31 AM
See 'Big Boys Rules', the story of the SAS in Northern Ireland, for example; or, indeed, the SAS in Gibraltar.

Big difference between a handful of Paddies and 20 million Allans spread throughout Europe. Internment camps dealing with such large numbers would quickly become concentration camps (in the true sense of their original meaning of a facility to contain large numbers of people).

Think how bloody messy it would become.

Rich
07-15-2016, 09:31 AM
I really do feel for our French comrades. They are having a terrible time and seem completely powerless to stop the Allans striking at will. I wonder how long it will be before the Front National comes into power, as I really do think that it's the path we're heading down.

We should be thankful that we're surrounded by sea and not part of the Shengen zone. Our security forces appear to be doing ever such an outstanding job as well. I really hope that our decision to leave the EU does not impact their ability/willingness to share intelligence as it's clearly necessary in these uncertain times.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 09:32 AM

They'd hate that, I'm sure. Like leaves on the line, we'd be the wrong sort.

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Elaborate M. Do you believe you have identified the common demoninator? (apart from simply just ****in Allans)

Well put it this way, if a succession of unidentified individuals who had launched deadly attacks were all found to have the same book in their homes with the same title and the same directives within it about why undertaking such deadly acts would be a good and laudable thing worthy of the highest reward imaginable, do you think we would ordinarily agree that this is a notable common denominator worthy of further investigation?

Sir C
07-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Big difference between a handful of Paddies and 20 million Allans spread throughout Europe. Internment camps dealing with such large numbers would quickly become concentration camps (in the true sense of their original meaning of a facility to contain large numbers of people).

Think how bloody messy it would become.

Oh, I'm not arguing for such an escalation; I don't have the experience in these matters to predict the likely outcome. I'm just wondering how long it will be before governments are forced down this sort of road by popular opinion.

Valls' statements this morning have surely handed Ler Pen a million votes, for example.

Pat Vegas
07-15-2016, 09:35 AM
They'd hate that, I'm sure. Like leaves on the line, we'd be the wrong sort.

I can't imagine Fash would fit in.

Pokster
07-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Well put it this way, if a succession of unidentified individuals who had launched deadly attacks were all found to have the same book in their homes with the same title and the same directives within it about why undertaking such deadly acts would be a good and laudable thing worthy of the highest reward imaginable, do you think we would ordinarily agree that this is a notable common denominator worthy of further investigation?

so how many individuals have a copy of said book? somehwere between millions and ****ing millions... glwtp imo

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Oh, I'm not arguing for such an escalation; I don't have the experience in these matters to predict the likely outcome. I'm just wondering how long it will be before governments are forced down this sort of road by popular opinion.

Valls' statements this morning have surely handed Ler Pen a million votes, for example.

Unfortunately our own nascent imcumbent appears to be the worst kind of apologist. The stupid **** even wears a veil when she visits mosques.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately our own nascent imcumbent appears to be the worst kind of apologist. The stupid **** even wears a veil when she visits mosques.

I suppose the only real way of addressing the thing properly is to firstly turn off the source of the brainwashing, and that means taking out Saudi Arabia, and that means starting a world war.

It's going to take a US president with quite some strength of conviction to get into that little lot.

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:45 AM
so how many individuals have a copy of said book? somehwere between millions and ****ing millions... glwtp imo

I'm not proposing investigating the millions of people who own a copy of The Book That Has Nothing To Do With Islam. But acknowledging this common denominator could, for example, force us to consider whether it may be worth promoting with greater force the idea that the book that they believe to hold the immutable truth of our existence, and that explicitly states that you will go to paradise by killing innocent people, is ****ing bull**** and, if you do not disown it, you will never be truly welcome in our society.

Monty92
07-15-2016, 09:50 AM
I suppose the only real way of addressing the thing properly is to firstly turn off the source of the brainwashing, and that means taking out Saudi Arabia, and that means starting a world war.

It's going to take a US president with quite some strength of conviction to get into that little lot.

I don't know. There are strong forces at work that are rapidly chipping away at the need for religion and promoting a truly secular world. Surely this should be where our efforts should be focused, with a World War very much the last resort.

07-15-2016, 09:50 AM

You're a genius Ash. The only way to beat a commie is to attack him from the left. It figures the only way to beat a fundamentalist is to denounce him as a poor muslim.

When Jihadi John was up to his nonsense I was all in favour of starting a Twitter campaign drawing attention to his antics as a DJ and calling him a fraud and a Godless infidel and seeing if we could get his head cut off.

All of the 'kids' I work with were uncomfortable with the idea because they thought it might just work and how terrible would we all feel causing another human being to be decapitated? Err....would've been fine with me :nod:

Mo Britain less Europe
07-15-2016, 09:53 AM
I would start by executing the families of terrorists involved in such murders, two generations up and two generations down.

Yesterday Once More
07-15-2016, 10:58 AM
At this stage it is hard to see what France can do, frankly (no pun intended). I am afraid they are reaping what they have sown over the past 40 years. Since the 1970s they have allowed allowed immigrants (mostly from the Muslim World) to permanently settle in France with their families and to acquire French citizenship. Alongside this, they renounced the policy of assimilation in favour of integration. It does not take many to become radicalised to create the carnage we have seen there over the past 18 months.

The Angela Merkel-led EU open door approach to the migrant crisis last year can only have made matters worse; I am just very thankful we have voted to take control of our own immigration policy, and until we can do so have the Shengen Zone exemption to give us a measure of protection. I hope we continue to be a tolerant society, but at the same time we need to apply the precautionary principle in considering future applications for immigration. If push came to shove, far better to risk being accused of prejudice than to potentially put many lives at risk.

Mo Britain less Europe
07-15-2016, 11:12 AM
The first thing that needs to happen is for the Front National to win the elections. The softly-softly approach has been tried and failed. Maybe it's time to try something else.

7sisters
07-15-2016, 11:49 AM
I really do feel for our French comrades. They are having a terrible time and seem completely powerless to stop the Allans striking at will. I wonder how long it will be before the Front National comes into power, as I really do think that it's the path we're heading down.

We should be thankful that we're surrounded by sea and not part of the Shengen zone. Our security forces appear to be doing ever such an outstanding job as well. I really hope that our decision to leave the EU does not impact their ability/willingness to share intelligence as it's clearly necessary in these uncertain times.

Jesus Christ .. Not you as well. Heard enough of this **** during the referendum mud slinging. Does anyone seriously think us leaving the EU is going bring pan European terrorism co-operation to a grinding halt ?

Ash
07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Jesus Christ .. Not you as well. Heard enough of this **** during the referendum mud slinging. Does anyone seriously think us leaving the EU is going bring pan European terrorism co-operation to a grinding halt ?

A scare story brought to us by the people who threatened a punishment-beating of a budget.

Ash
07-15-2016, 12:02 PM
I would start by executing the families of terrorists involved in such murders, two generations up and two generations down.

Blimey. If you want to start with the mass-murder of innocents, I hate to think where you'll end up.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Blimey. If you want to start with the mass-murder of innocents, I hate to think where you'll end up.

It does seem rather strong for an opening gambit. It would be like Bruce opening the show with 'Born To Run'; where would he go after that?

Pokster
07-15-2016, 12:11 PM
It does seem rather strong for an opening gambit. It would be like Bruce opening the show with 'Born To Run'; where would he go after that?

Home, hopefully

Burney
07-15-2016, 12:37 PM
What does he usually open with?

Sir C
07-15-2016, 12:43 PM
What does he usually open with?

There's no 'usually' with the Great Man; each show is unique, an individual experience.

How well I remember 4th July 1985, when he strolled out on stage at Wembley, alone, armed just with an acoustic guitar, sat down on the edge of the stage and opened with 'Independence Day'. At Coventry last month he opened at the piano with an acoustic 'For You'. On the other hand, sometimes the show is kicked off with a rollicking singalong like, 'My Love Will Not Let You Down'. There's no way of knowing in advance. :cloud9:

Mo Britain less Europe
07-15-2016, 12:47 PM

End up? If it's a war of extermination I know where I'd prefer to end up.

Ash
07-15-2016, 12:49 PM
There's no way of knowing in advance. :cloud9:

Unless you manage to get a butchers at the set list.

Please don't tell me he can play for three hours without a set list.

Burney
07-15-2016, 12:53 PM
I bet he can, you know? Say what you like about him, but his is an incredibly well-drilled, experienced and professional unit. They're like the Waffen SS of stadium rock.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Unless you manage to get a butchers at the set list.

Please don't tell me he can play for three hours without a set list.

:hehe: Absolutely does. He famously writes a setlist and then after 5 or 6 songs inevitably screws it up and throws it away, playing according to his and the corwd's mood. And of course he takes requests from the crowd, especially enjoying challenging the band to play a song they might not have played for some years.

They have been playing together for over 40 years, so you'd expect them to be reasonably good at it, wouldn't you?

Burney
07-15-2016, 01:01 PM
This isn't a conventional war. It's a classic Maoist guerilla war where the guerilla swims like a fish in the sea of his ethnic and religious community. And, as has been shown in successful counter-insurgencies, the only way to defeat such people is to drain or poison the 'sea', thus making it impossible for them to live in it.