PDA

View Full Version : It must be quite scary taking the job of chancellor of the exchequer.

Sir C
07-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Given that economists with years of study and degrees falling out of their holes tend to know the square root of **** all about economics, what hope has some random politician got of learning how to run a country's finances overnight?

Pokster
07-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Given that economists with years of study and degrees falling out of their holes tend to know the square root of **** all about economics, what hope has some random politician got of learning how to run a country's finances overnight?

over 50% of economists got it wrong about the BoE today/// so perhaps the CotE should just do the opposite of whatever economists say?

Ash
07-14-2016, 01:43 PM
They have chaps to take care of that, I think.

http://www.yes-minister.com/images/oth_humphreycup.jpg

Sir C
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
over 50% of economists got it wrong about the BoE today/// so perhaps the CotE should just do the opposite of whatever economists say?

Carney's having a giggle, isn't he? Get the markets all geared up for a cut, and then do nothing. Who knew a Canadian could be such a whacky prankster?

Sir C
07-14-2016, 01:47 PM
They have chaps to take care of that, I think.

http://www.yes-minister.com/images/oth_humphreycup.jpg

Well if these chaps were telling George what to say, they'll have to tell this bloke different things to say, otherwise he'll just be exactly the same as George, and if they tell him different things to say, either what they're telling him, or what they were telling George, must be wrong. So these chaps are either going to intentioanlly crash the economy, or, perhaps more likely, they know the square root of **** all as well. :-(

Pokster
07-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Carney's having a giggle, isn't he? Get the markets all geared up for a cut, and then do nothing. Who knew a Canadian could be such a whacky prankster?

He's learnt from the ECB, say something and then do nothing for as long as possible... but at least he does seem to be the 1 person who has a plan since the brexit vote

SWv2
07-14-2016, 02:26 PM

I think I could do it.

Let's be honest now, it is not actually the Chancellor that does the job. He just holds up the briefcase.

Ash
07-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Well if these chaps were telling George what to say, they'll have to tell this bloke different things to say, otherwise he'll just be exactly the same as George, and if they tell him different things to say, either what they're telling him, or what they were telling George, must be wrong. So these chaps are either going to intentioanlly crash the economy, or, perhaps more likely, they know the square root of **** all as well. :-(

I've no doubt that some people would happily crash the economy if they thought it would give an opportunity to reverse the mandate of the people but I think that when George promised us a punishment beating of a budget if we didn't do what he said, he was lying.

What he meant to say was that if we didn't do what he said, he wouldn't be there any more to deliver any kind of budget at all. lol

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-14-2016, 08:28 PM

Which economists got it wrong, the ones we listened to or the ones we didn't listen to?

Pokster
07-15-2016, 06:53 AM
Which economists got it wrong, the ones we listened to or the ones we didn't listen to?

the 30 of 54 that said rates would be cut today

Burney
07-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Yes, the utter destruction of Osbo is one of the happiest consequences of recent weeks. I despaired somewhat when it looked as though he might be Cameron's successor, since I felt he was one of the few senior tories actually capable of losing an election to Corbyn. Thankfully, that grim prospect is now gone :-)

Sir C
07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
Yes, the utter destruction of Osbo is one of the happiest consequences of recent weeks. I despaired somewhat when it looked as though he might be Cameron's successor, since I felt he was one of the few senior tories actually capable of losing an election to Corbyn. Thankfully, that grim prospect is now gone :-)

Ah, how was the trip?

Burney
07-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Last day today. Very nice, thanks. Once fall is still lovely, although Palermo is a third-world ****hole I've resolved never to set foot in again.

Sir C
07-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Last day today. Very nice, thanks. Once fall is still lovely, although Palermo is a third-world ****hole I've resolved never to set foot in again.

Have a good journey home. At least we have some half decent weather to ease you back in.