PDA

View Full Version : Why have we allowed Spuds to buy Janssen? At £17 million it was hardly bank-breaking

Mo Britain less Europe
07-12-2016, 10:44 AM
money if he turned out to be the new Afonso Alves.

Then we complain strikers are too expensive etc etc

Billy Goat Sverige
07-12-2016, 10:49 AM

You would hope he's got his eye on someone else, although the list of potential targets seems to be getting shorter by the week.

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 10:58 AM
You would hope he's got his eye on someone else, although the list of potential targets seems to be getting shorter by the week.

We won't sign a striker*

*except the japanese lad

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 10:59 AM

Anytime Spurs sign anybody Arsenal fans start going mental about how we should have signed them.

Mo Britain less Europe
07-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Anytime Spurs sign anybody Arsenal fans start going mental about how we should have signed them.

Not necessarily. But you have to admit that Wanyama and Janssen, on paper, are players who might have done a job for us. If we have somewhere else in mind and we sign him fine. But if we don't, it's an opportunity missed and last year's miracle isn't going to happen every year. Spuds will overtake us if things carry on the way they are.

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Not necessarily. But you have to admit that Wanyama and Janssen, on paper, are players who might have done a job for us. If we have somewhere else in mind and we sign him fine. But if we don't, it's an opportunity missed and last year's miracle isn't going to happen every year. Spuds will overtake us if things carry on the way they are.

We say that every year. you couldn't get much closer than last season but they blew it.

That aside I am still a bit concerned about last season. I am not sure Wenger is up to.

Jake
07-12-2016, 11:09 AM

I assume by last year's miracle you're referring to Spurs being second up to the final day. What with that being more of a miracle than us finishing above them.

SWv2
07-12-2016, 11:10 AM

Janssen scored a decent amount of goals in a tier C European league, perhaps worth a gamble at what is a nothing fee given his relative youth.

I like to naively think that if he was red-hot then agent Dennis would have given us both the nod and wink.

The issue with Arsenal supporters is not specifically Janssen, most would not know him from a crow, it is simply that they see Zlatan go to United, Batshuyai go to Chelsea while we appear to have made a serious error of judgement, or were lied to, by Vardy. There is of course the other issue where previous summers have eroded a lot of faith or belief in that Wenger will push on and buy a forward.

Others will of course say we don’t need one as we have Giroud.

Others will say to relax as it is but July 12th.

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 11:11 AM
I assume by last year's miracle you're referring to Spurs being second up to the final day. What with that being more of a miracle than us finishing above them.

Plus their confidence is blown completely from their recent defeat to Iceland in Euro 2016

Just Trent
07-12-2016, 11:15 AM
There aren't any players available, who are better than the ones we already have.

:-O

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 11:17 AM
There aren't any players available, who are better than the ones we already have.

:-O

:nod: And we won the quadruple last season.

IUFG
07-12-2016, 11:21 AM
everywon and anywon is available if the price is right

PSRB
07-12-2016, 11:41 AM

Wanyama looked good at Celtic. Scott Brown looked good at Celtic, FFS

Janssen is a big gamble, cost AZ €400k Euros this time last year and so has had one decent season......it's a punt

Sir C
07-12-2016, 11:44 AM

One would imagine that we did not buy Janssen because Arsene did not wish to have him in the squad. Your question remains, of course: 'Why have we allowed Spuds (sic) to buy Janssen?' We could, of course, have bought him simply to ensure that Spurs didn't - but what if they then tried to buy another striker? Should we have bought him, as well?

You appear to be suggesting that we buy all the players so there are none left for Spurs. I'm not sure it works that way.

Just Trent
07-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Don't panic Pat. There is always the last minute attempt at a deadline day loan deal, to look forward too. Probably Wilfred Bony this year. While Arsene dashes off for a charity gig with the Pope.

PSRB
07-12-2016, 11:55 AM
Don't panic Pat. There is always the last minute attempt at a deadline day loan deal, to look forward too. Probably Wilfred Bony this year. While Arsene dashes off for a charity gig with the Pope.

Formal offer being made for Higuain on Thursday, apparently. Not sure 16p and a packet of cheese and onion discos will do the job but we'll see

Rich
07-12-2016, 11:55 AM

:hehe: :-(

I can hardly wait.

SWv2
07-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Formal offer being made for Higuain on Thursday, apparently. Not sure 16p and a packet of cheese and onion discos will do the job but we'll see

Why Thursday?

Is the typing pool busy or something.

PSRB
07-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Why Thursday?

Is the typing pool busy or something.

Fax being fixed in the morning

*something to do with that's when our people meet his people

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 12:02 PM

Waiting for the new prime minister to come in to steady the exchange rate a bit.

How many summers have we been linked with Higuain?

Sir C
07-12-2016, 12:03 PM

Why would we buy a striker with three years left in his legs?

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 12:04 PM

The Jap fella will be ready by then. Natural progression.

7sisters
07-12-2016, 12:11 PM

His.. :cough: agent is claiming it's a done deal at 60m ish.
Madness really. That's around double what he went for three years ago.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/529413/Arsenal-Transfer-News-Gonzalo-Higuain-Deal-Agreed-Gossip

Pat Vegas
07-12-2016, 12:12 PM

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/529413/Arsenal-Transfer-News-Gonzalo-Higuain-Deal-Agreed-Gossip

I bet on Simb they are moaning saying why don't spurs stop this from happening.

Sir C
07-12-2016, 12:17 PM

I sympathise with Arsene here. If I were told that I could buy a 28 year old top quality striker but that he would cost the club £60m, I would spit in your eye and tell Theo to gird his loins.

£60m, indeed. Utter nonsense.

PSRB
07-12-2016, 12:23 PM
I sympathise with Arsene here. If I were told that I could buy a 28 year old top quality striker but that he would cost the club £60m, I would spit in your eye and tell Theo to gird his loins.

I concur, could get Draxler and Icardi for that

SWv2
07-12-2016, 12:24 PM

As much as I tend to agree with you here I am afraid that is where the modern game has gone, a monster created by the super clubs themselves so they of all people are in no position to complain about the crzy and obscene world of football finances.

Mo Britain less Europe
07-12-2016, 02:14 PM

If you can't stand the heat..... I don't like this either but that's the way football has gone, we play the game or we play a different game. But sensible teams will end up in the bottom half of the premiership, at best.

Sir C
07-12-2016, 02:26 PM
If you can't stand the heat..... I don't like this either but that's the way football has gone, we play the game or we play a different game. But sensible teams will end up in the bottom half of the premiership, at best.

Perhaps we could exhibit a pair of testes and do things The Right Way?

Mo Britain less Europe
07-12-2016, 02:28 PM

I exhibited my testes to two doctors the other day and one explained the problem to me in a nutshell.

Sir C
07-12-2016, 02:28 PM
I exhibited my testes to two doctors the other day and one explained the problem to me in a nutshell.

:-( What ails you, m?

Mo Britain less Europe
07-12-2016, 02:29 PM
I had a small lump but it turns out to be build up of harmless fluid. Balls.

Sir C
07-12-2016, 02:36 PM
I had a small lump but it turns out to be build up of harmless fluid. Balls.

A cyst? I've got one of those. Berni was prepared to operate on it one night after some liquid refreshment. We sterilised teh knife and everything, but our glws refused to allow the operation to proceed.

SWv2
07-12-2016, 02:39 PM

There is no such thing as The Right Way.

It is merely a mythical path created to justify an action. It is false. Like a god or religion.

Rich
07-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Chuba Akpom has been informed that he will not be going out on loan as he is required for first team duties.

Hmm.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-12-2016, 09:22 PM

...because collectively, Awimb can't afford to stand in the way of Spurs buying a player who costs £17M