PDA

View Full Version : The Referendum Remain figures flawed?

Tony C
07-07-2016, 01:14 PM
I was chatting to my boss and he told me he voted to Remain which I thought was odd because he's from New Zealand and been in London for two years on a visa.

I asked how it was possible and he said because he's a commonwealth citizen so has a say in UK affairs.

Does anyone else think that's fairly wrong?

I checked last night and got the exact list of who was allowed...

A British or Irish citizen living in the UK, or
A Commonwealth citizen living in the UK who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK
A British citizen living overseas who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years
An Irish citizen living overseas who was born in Northern Ireland and who has been registered to vote in Northern Ireland in the last 15 years

WTF?

Whats worse is there's no reciprocal agreements so Kiwis can vote on whether or not the uk stays or leaves the EU but I can't vote in the stupid dumb flag referendum.

A comical situation.

Bringing it back...there was an estimate 1m commonwealth votes ie outsiders who should not have had the right to vote but did and most likely all voted to remain.

The figure is just an estimate...it's probably a lot more bearing in mind the massive increase in the total votes and the flawed emphasis on immigration from the EU and the misconception that it would also affect commonwealth citizens living in the uk.

With that mind...if you strip away these votes...the margin of victory is a far more and it would neatly explain why London ended up as a remain free zone....let's face it....if your coming over from Oz, New Zealand and other commonwealth countries you're hardly going to to live in Stoke, Coventry or Blackburn but rather London.

Just thought it was odd and incredibly wrong for a vote of this very specific nature to be opened up to non Brits.

SWv2
07-07-2016, 01:16 PM
I thought it was odd that Irish citizens were allowed to vote, and quite a big thing was made of it in respect of making people aware of this and making sure they were registered.

You are not allowed to vote in our referendi.

Burney
07-07-2016, 01:24 PM
I thought it was odd that Irish citizens were allowed to vote, and quite a big thing was made of it in respect of making people aware of this and making sure they were registered.

You are not allowed to vote in our referendi.

This was just one of the clauses of the treaty. Same as how British and Irish people have always been able to travel to each others' countries without passports. The idea was also that any Irish person who was pro-British during the unfortunate events of the early 1920s would have the right to take up residence in Britain if they so desired.

It's basically an acknowledgement that we still consider you British subjects, basically.

Tony C
07-07-2016, 01:27 PM
What got me was how flawed his arguments were....he genuinely felt the immigration topic was an attack on him.

the best bit was asked him how much he paid when his wife gave birth....nothing...free nhs. Nice.

The whole system is flawed....UK needs to start afresh...rebuild to make the country great again but this is just a joke.

Burney
07-07-2016, 01:35 PM
What got me was how flawed his arguments were....he genuinely felt the immigration topic was an attack on him.

the best bit was asked him how much he paid when his wife gave birth....nothing...free nhs. Nice.

The whole system is flawed....UK needs to start afresh...rebuild to make the country great again but this is just a joke.

Don't get me started on the dip**** Kiwi in my office who lost her rag with me about the referendum and was virtually crying in the office the next day :rolleyes:
She's now said she's going to give up voting because she finds the outcomes too depressing. :hehe: