PDA

View Full Version : economicsWIMB. Some explaining if you would..

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
07-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Sterling is tanking against all the other currencies.I get why; it's simply these johnny forrins don't concur with the Brexiteers' assertions that Britain is about to become great once gain (you pesky kids have buggered my little trip to Berlin I had planned btw - haven't seen the old girl since The Wall came down).

So when looking at historical exchange rates I see that back in 2007 at crash time, Sterling tanked against all currencies then too. But this was a global meltdown so how come Sterling got stuffed and no-on else?

And finally, sour little Daily Mail readers are always telling me it's a good job we didn't join the Euro eh? Dodged a bullet there didn't we?

How so?

PS - I suspect that if Sterling dips below parity with the Euro we may well indeed see the referendum reneged on.

Herr Floyd
07-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Sterling is tanking against all the other currencies.I get why; it's simply these johnny forrins don't concur with the Brexiteers' assertions that Britain is about to become great once gain (you pesky kids have buggered my little trip to Berlin I had planned btw - haven't seen the old girl since The Wall came down).

So when looking at historical exchange rates I see that back in 2007 at crash time, Sterling tanked against all currencies then too. But this was a global meltdown so how come Sterling got stuffed and no-on else?

And finally, sour little Daily Mail readers are always telling me it's a good job we didn't join the Euro eh? Dodged a bullet there didn't we?

How so?

PS - I suspect that if Sterling dips below parity with the Euro we may well indeed see the referendum reneged on.

Listen to Herr Floyd and learn you pig **** shovelling oaf >

Sterling is tanking for two reasons. Firstly the 'fear' factor. Markets do not like uncertainty and secondly because the pillock Mark Carney announced he would look to cut interest rates. He has also been talking down the economy. As for 2008, it wasnt just Sterling which fell, all high yielding currencies fell as the carry trades unwound and the ensuing flight to dollar and Yen safety.

Now as for your trip to Berlin .. I decide who may or may not enter Germany and right now I am not happy with your Daily Mail reader insult and showing you voted remain. I am barring you from my Country so **** off.

Herr Floyd

07-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Sterling is tanking for two reasons. Firstly the 'fear' factor.
Herr Floyd

Herr Flid...read my post before responding you quarter wit. As I said I am perfectly cognisant of the reasons for Sterling's current predicament. My question sought to establish the reasons for Sterling's dire performance against the other currencies after the global crash of 2007.

As for the facile and tiresome cliche you chose to regurgitate - "markets don't like uncertainty" - au contraire my obese, purulent little pseudo kraut friend, markets positively thrive on uncertainty.

I have been unable to travel to my beloved Berlin for thirty five years due to an unfortunate "misundertsanding" with the Die Polizei when I was a callow youth but, thanks to the Schengen agreement, I may now slip in undetected.

Brexit will be overruled!

Herr Floyd
07-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Well I admit I posted in a hurry and maybe didnt read your question properly as I was busy snapchatting one of my female model friends. Anyhow I will study my charts and get back to you ... Hmmm your misdemeanour has me intreagued ... did you touch a young Frau innapropriately? Its an easy error to make in ones youth so I shant judge you.

HF

PS Brexit will not be overruled.

07-06-2016, 09:36 PM
... did you touch a young Frau innapropriately? Its an easy error to make in ones youth so I shant judge you.

PS Brexit will not be overruled.

Every mädchen I ever touched became instantly moist with desire for me. It was a mere motoring offence trifle but I skipped off without paying a somewhat substantial fine which, of itself, became a more serious offence. I think the offence was probably spent a long time ago now.

I have a yen for some genuine golden Löwenbräu from the pump in Deutschland - absolute nectar Floyd, nectar.

Pokster
07-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Listen to Herr Floyd and learn you pig **** shovelling oaf >

Sterling is tanking for two reasons. Firstly the 'fear' factor. Markets do not like uncertainty and secondly because the pillock Mark Carney announced he would look to cut interest rates. He has also been talking down the economy. As for 2008, it wasnt just Sterling which fell, all high yielding currencies fell as the carry trades unwound and the ensuing flight to dollar and Yen safety.

Now as for your trip to Berlin .. I decide who may or may not enter Germany and right now I am not happy with your Daily Mail reader insult and showing you voted remain. I am barring you from my Country so **** off.

Herr Floyd

Right if you want a quick simple answer..... in 2008 we were in deeper **** than most other country's, we were in danger of a full scale banking collapse, so not surprising most foreign investors didn't want to leave their money in banks that they might not get back, so they sold GBP and invested in other CCY's that seemed safer.... we slo cut our interest rates a lot faster than most so making the CCY less attractive (like your mum)

If you need help with anything else don't be afraid to ask

07-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Right if you want a quick simple answer..... in 2008 we were in deeper **** than most other country's,

Deeper **** than other countries? Then when I was told the crisis was global and Britain was in fact "in a stronger position" than anyone else, I was being lied to?

Pokster
07-07-2016, 07:48 AM
Deeper **** than other countries? Then when I was told the crisis was global and Britain was in fact "in a stronger position" than anyone else, I was being lied to?

Our banks weren't in a stronger position... seeing as 2 or the largest had to be bailed out, would you, if you were an oversees investor have wanted GBP deposited in any of them... so you take it out and invest in CCY where banks weren't being bailed out

Sir C
07-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Right if you want a quick simple answer..... in 2008 we were in deeper **** than most other country's, we were in danger of a full scale banking collapse, so not surprising most foreign investors didn't want to leave their money in banks that they might not get back, so they sold GBP and invested in other CCY's that seemed safer.... we slo cut our interest rates a lot faster than most so making the CCY less attractive (like your mum)

I should like to know how low sterling will go against the euro, p. It won't make parity, will it?

Thank you.

7sisters
07-07-2016, 08:09 AM
I should like to know how low sterling will go against the euro, p. It won't make parity, will it?

Thank you.

I'd like to know the answer to that too. Also, today's winner of the 3.45 at Sandown Park, if possible.

Pokster
07-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Thank you.

If I knew thjat I'd be working for Goldman Sachs

Pokster
07-07-2016, 08:20 AM
I'd like to know the answer to that too. Also, today's winner of the 3.45 at Sandown Park, if possible.

You can't catch me out with that one.. there isn't a meeting at Sandown today

Sir C
07-07-2016, 09:01 AM
If I knew thjat I'd be working for Goldman Sachs

If you knew that for sure I doubt you'd be working for very much longer tbh.

Pokster
07-07-2016, 09:24 AM
If you knew that for sure I doubt you'd be working for very much longer tbh.

At my age i don't want to be working very much longer... and i don't mean pegging it

07-07-2016, 09:47 AM
Our banks weren't in a stronger position... seeing as 2 or the largest had to be bailed out, would you, if you were an oversees investor have wanted GBP deposited in any of them... so you take it out and invest in CCY where banks weren't being bailed out
So we, along with a couple of nefarious american institutions, triggered the whole debacle with our over leveraging into the sub-prime market shenanigans. I have been consistently reassured on this very board, by the likes of Charlie and Berni, that we are a prosperous and powerful nation. Is everybody lying to me Pok?

07-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Thank you.

Oh it will go below parity. The much vaunted collapse of the Euro (vaunted since its very inception) won't happen because it is underpinned by genuinely wealthy nations that actually make stuff to export, like cars and ****, as distinct from selling bits of paper to the unwary and calling it wealth creation*

*Not too sure of the details here C but if you hadn't driven poor Jorge from the board he would explain it all to you I'm sure

Pokster
07-07-2016, 10:08 AM
So we, along with a couple of nefarious american institutions, triggered the whole debacle with our over leveraging into the sub-prime market shenanigans. I have been consistently reassured on this very board, by the likes of Charlie and Berni, that we are a prosperous and powerful nation. Is everybody lying to me Pok?

We are a prosperous and wealthy nation, we have our own CCY and can set interest ratesd to help our economy (something that the southern European nations in the Euro can't, and they are getting killed by it)... the city (service sector) is one of our biggest earners, but there is no denying that they were out of control for too long and the 2007/08 crash was certainly given a good helping hand by the rubbish they were investing in and not understanding.

P.S The Euro is a failed CCY and don't be so sure it will survive in the long term.

07-07-2016, 10:14 AM
P.S The Euro is a failed CCY and don't be so sure it will survive in the long term.

I what sense has it failed given that it has always outperformed, and continues to do so, Sterling (and what is this confounded CCY you keep dropping into the mix?)

Pokster
07-07-2016, 10:27 AM
I what sense has it failed given that it has always outperformed, and continues to do so, Sterling (and what is this confounded CCY you keep dropping into the mix?)

CCY= Currency

Outperforms is an interesting concept... MOST nations have been pushing for a weaker CCY so to help their exports (look at the Swiss National Bank for example).

GBP is considered weak due to uncertainty and expectations of lower interest rates.

The € covers so many nations that you could be investing in germany so helping the € but would you invest in Greece? TYhat is why it fails, it is set up to help a few nations while the rest have to suffer

07-07-2016, 10:45 AM
CCY= Currency

Outperforms is an interesting concept...

Well prosperous is also a curious concept. Britain may seem prosperous if you're a City of London Henry but hardly if you're stuck in a northern ****hole. Greece was a collection of deluded juvenile tax dodgers and it would have taken some very powerful alchemy to balance their books. I don't think their predicament can be put down to a failure of the Euro can it?

Pokster
07-07-2016, 11:35 AM
Well prosperous is also a curious concept. Britain may seem prosperous if you're a City of London Henry but hardly if you're stuck in a northern ****hole. Greece was a collection of deluded juvenile tax dodgers and it would have taken some very powerful alchemy to balance their books. I don't think their predicament can be put down to a failure of the Euro can it?

Members of the EUro have to live by the rules when they joined, it doesn't suit economy's covering such diverse nations.

You are partly correct about the UK, having 1 interest rate that suits all is difficult in a country this size.... imagine how hard it is for Europe and the States.