PDA

View Full Version : So the glow is insisting, because of our medium term plan to retire to Frane,

Sir C
06-30-2016, 11:49 AM
that I investigate obtaining an EU passport 'just in case'. While the idea bothers me on principal, I can see the logic in so doing.

I am, apparently, automatically a Dutch and an Irish national. The procedure for applying for a Dutch passport, sadly, appears to be a bucket-load of nause, whilst the Irishers want nothing more than a completed form and some euros.

I'm going to end up a plastic Paddy :-(

Sir C
06-30-2016, 11:49 AM
glw, not glow

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 11:51 AM
that I investigate obtaining an EU passport 'just in case'. While the idea bothers me on principal, I can see the logic in so doing.

I am, apparently, automatically a Dutch and an Irish national. The procedure for applying for a Dutch passport, sadly, appears to be a bucket-load of nause, whilst the Irishers want nothing more than a completed form and some euros.

Welcome to the club :)

Apparently we just have to get drunk all the time now

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:52 AM

I regard getting an Irish passport is an act of treachery. :-(

And that's leaving to one side the monstrous hypocrisy inherent to such an action.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 11:57 AM
I regard getting an Irish passport is an act of treachery. :-(

And that's leaving to one side the monstrous hypocrisy inherent in such an action.

The treachery I can see, although coming from a man unwilling to protect the Queen's Colours I find the accusation somewhat hard to take.

I'm not having hypocrisy, though. Im not going to pretend to like them, or set foot in the benighted place. Im just going to use them a bit.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the club :)

Apparently we just have to get drunk all the time now

Can't you get a Kraut one?

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Can't you get a Kraut one?
Good lord - one has to have some standards

Burney
06-30-2016, 12:01 PM
The treachery I can see, although coming from a man unwilling to protect the Queen's Colours I find the accusation somewhat hard to take.

I'm not having hypocrisy, though. Im not going to pretend to like them, or set foot in the benighted place. Im just going to use them a bit.

No. Just...no. Can you imagine wandering the world while presenting yourself to all foreigners as a ****ing bogtrotter? Have you no shame? It's unthinkable.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 12:08 PM
No. Just...no. Can you imagine wandering the world while presenting yourself to all foreigners as a ****ing bogtrotter? Have you no shame? It's unthinkable.

Oh I'd keep my British passport for travelling, naturally. It would only be to keep the frogs happy while I sponge off their benefits system, and who cares what frogs think of one? They are essentially paysanne, after all.

Pat Vegas
06-30-2016, 12:20 PM

I applying for a Uk passport should I need to come back here. Though I am entitled too I'd rather have the document to save problems.

My other options are becoming Italian.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 12:23 PM
I applying for a Uk passport should I need to come back here. Though I am entitled too I'd rather have the document to save problems.

My other options are becoming Italian.

If you had UK, Canadian and Italian you'd be covered all sides up.

Pat Vegas
06-30-2016, 12:26 PM
If you had UK, Canadian and Italian you'd be covered all sides up.

There is one issue. If we go to canada. and then decide to go back to the UK
She might not be able too (well she could as I am british) but it seems complicated.
So we have to look into this now. she's been here 10 years seems a bit pricey to become a British citizen.

We'll have applications all over the place.

As nobody knows what is going to happen it's a bit tricky.

SWv2
06-30-2016, 01:06 PM

How do you non-residents get around the issue of having your photo ID endorsed by An Garda Siochana?

Edit: Ah, I see. Carry on.

Naturally I will object to your application.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:09 PM
How do you non-residents get around the issue of having your photo ID endorsed by An Garda Siochana?

There's no need to talk foreign at me, sw.

I haven't looked that carefully yet, I've just skimmed the requirements. Basically they say I need a copy of my Ma's birth certificate, a copy of my birth certificate and my current passport (these have to be certified true copies by 'a witness' :hehe: ) and the dough. As far as I can tell, that's about the extent of it.

Burney
06-30-2016, 01:15 PM

I haven't looked that carefully yet, I've just skimmed the requirements. Basically they say I need a copy of my Ma's birth certificate, a copy of my birth certificate and my current passport (these have to be certified true copies by 'a witness' :hehe: ) and the dough. As far as I can tell, that's about the extent of it.

I'm quite distressed about all this. I've had actual rows with my family because they've suggested this course of action and I've rejected it on principle. So to find that you're prepared to sell your birthright, betray Her Majesty and kowtow to a hostile foreign power just for the sake of convenience is really quite upsetting. :-(

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 01:15 PM

Might take a while :hehe: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/hold-off-applying-for-passport-ireland-tells-britons

Burney
06-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Might take a while :hehe: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/28/hold-off-applying-for-passport-ireland-tells-britons

Are people really such thick ****s that they don't understand that nothing's going to change for at least two years - and even then that such a course of action may not even prove necessary?

SWv2
06-30-2016, 01:17 PM

Indeed. Over here we have no choice but to have the photographic identity verified by a Garda.

I believe our Passport Office has temporarily asked people to stop applying such has been the deluge. I applied recently on a guaranteed 10 day turnaround basis.

3 weeks :cloud9:

God bless Ireland.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Indeed. Over here we have no choice but to have the photographic identity verified by a Garda.

I believe our Passport Office has temporarily asked people to stop applying such has been the deluge. I applied recently on a guaranteed 10 day turnaround basis.

3 weeks :cloud9:

God bless Ireland.

Yes, I saw that they're a little overwhelmed by demand at the moment. I'm not doing anything yet, anyway.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:22 PM
I'm quite distressed about all this. I've had actual rows with my family because they've suggested this course of action and I've rejected it on principle. So to find that you're prepared to sell your birthright, betray Her Majesty and kowtow to a hostile foreign power just for the sake of convenience is really quite upsetting. :-(

I see no kowtowing; nor would I, under any circumstances, renounce my citizenship of the UK :shrug:

I'm like a jew buying a Mercedes Benz; I think of it as reparations.

SWv2
06-30-2016, 01:29 PM
I see no kowtowing; nor would I, under any circumstances, renounce my citizenship of the UK :shrug:

By becoming Irish you could proudly associate yourself with "the best football fans in the world"

:rolleyes:

Though clearly this should be the best international football fans in the world as I have long been of the impression that Newcastle had already claimed the earlier title.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:31 PM
By becoming Irish you could proudly associate yourself with "the best football fans in the world"

:rolleyes:

Though clearly this should be the best international football fans in the world as I have long been of the impression that Newcastle had already claimed the earlier title.

Ah, but according to the law I already am an Irish. The issue of the passport is but a detail.

So. Erm. A top of the morning to you, sw. Begorrah.

Burney
06-30-2016, 01:35 PM

You are flying false colours. You may call it a flag of convenience if you wish ('convenience' being the mot juste vis-a-vis Ireland, of course), but we both know that this is fundamentally dishonourable.

Herbette Chapman - aged 15
06-30-2016, 01:35 PM

Like a jew buying shares in the Zyklon factory more like. They spent 40 years trying to murder us all.

Did you see what the Queen said to that fenian cock-warbler McGuinness? He says "hoy orr ye" and she says "still alive no thanks to you you spud-munching ****!"

It's treason and I'll see you hanged!

SWv2
06-30-2016, 01:37 PM
Ah, but according to the law I already am an Irish. The issue of the passport is but a detail.

So. Erm. A top of the morning to you, sw. Begorrah.

Really? I have always had a basic rule in this regard, over simplistic perhaps but there you go.

You can *be* Irish, or indeed any nationality, if you were born in that country. If you were born elsewhere then you’re not, simple.

You may of course become a citizen through naturalisation, still not Irish.

Or a passport holder through family, still not Irish.

In summary, **** off you British ****.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Are people really such thick ****s that they don't understand that nothing's going to change for at least two years - and even then that such a course of action may not even prove necessary?

Apparently so, b. Frightening isn't it

Burney
06-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Really? I have always had a basic rule in this regard, over simplistic perhaps but there you go.

You can *be* Irish, or indeed any nationality, if you were born in that country. If you were born elsewhere then you’re not, simple.

Dana (born in London) and The Edge (born Barking, Essex) do not like this.

Mind you, I tend to agree with you, fwiw.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 01:43 PM

Think of the cricket team we'd have if that was applied. In fact don't. You'll have nightmares

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:43 PM

Jesus Mary and Joseph, would you look at the cut of you?

I quote from our very own government's website, www.citizensinformation.ie. "If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth. If you are an Irish citizen, you can apply for an Irish passport. You do not need an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen but having an Irish passport is evidence that you are an Irish citizen. "

Oi'm as Oirish as you, sw. :hehe:

SWv2
06-30-2016, 01:45 PM

I mean it as no insult to a person.

In respect of Mr Edge while I was unaware of his place of birth it is clear to any observer that he is a bona fide wrong 'un.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:47 PM
You are flying false colours. You may call it a flag of convenience if you wish ('convenience' being the mot juste vis-a-vis Ireland, of course), but we both know that this is fundamentally dishonourable.

Jack did not hesitate to benefit from this ruse, b. Why would I hold myself morally superior to Jack, for all love?

SWv2
06-30-2016, 01:49 PM
Jesus Mary and Joseph, would you look at the cut of you?

I admire how you have picked up the lingo so quickly.

Burney
Think of the cricket team we'd have if that was applied. In fact don't. You'll have nightmares

Oh, Englishness is different. As a colonising people our diaspora is entirely consistent with remaining English. A chap can spend his life in the colonies and stay wholly English.

Burney
Jack did not hesitate to benefit from this ruse, b. Why would I hold myself morally superior to Jack, for all love?

And what did Stephen have to say about it, eh? He took a dim view, that's what.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:50 PM

Sure isn't it in my blood, sw? My Irish blood, indeed.

Burney
06-30-2016, 01:50 PM

You should hear him when he does the accent. :-\

Ash
06-30-2016, 01:59 PM

I might forward this comment to my Irish-named, Irish-accented, Irish-speaking (she claims), Irish Republican, Brit-hating, English-born colleague for a laugh.

Ash
06-30-2016, 02:04 PM
I mean it as no insult to a person.

In respect of Mr Edge while I was unaware of his place of birth it is clear to any observer that he is a bona fide wrong 'un.

The Edge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8dZwXnMrRU

SWv2
06-30-2016, 02:23 PM
I might forward this comment to my Irish-named, Irish-accented, Irish-speaking (she claims), Irish Republican, Brit-hating, English-born colleague for a laugh.

Feel free old boy. As I said I mean it as no insult to any person nor do I deny a person who may feel Irish through family, upbringing etc such as perhaps your colleague.

Still not Irish.

I suppose the different is citizen v national. A person can change their citizenship, such as our our Sir C who is turning his back on Queen and Country. He cannot change his nationality.

Filthy brit that he is.