May it is then. A remain campaigner FFS

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Bloody hell! He is like Moses then.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Gove or May :(

May it is then. A remain campaigner FFS

:hehe: Oh, this is splendid stuff! We'll probably have Gove dropping out next.

I do wish May would do something about her hair, though.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:02 AM
I wish she'd bugger off to the Lib Dems with her silly shoes.

SWv2
06-30-2016, 11:03 AM
Cold feet at actually having to be the PM that leads the UK out of the EU??

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:10 AM
Cold feet at actually having to be the PM that leads the UK out of the EU??

Maybe. Or the realisation that if the vote is split between himself, Gove and, to a lesser extent, Fox, May can win outright in the first round.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Maybe. Or the realisation that if the vote is split between himself, Gove and, to a lesser extent, Fox, May can win outright in the first round.

Yup. They realised they had to do something to stop him becoming PM at this stage because he'd have won the membership vote hands down, but they could well have ended up with a Labour situation whereby the membership loved him, but the parliamentary party couldn't work with him. In that context, May is the best compromise.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:29 AM
May is a terrible decision from the view of making people regain confidence in the political process. It is the establishment saying "we will run the show however much you kick and shout".

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:31 AM
May is a terrible decision from the view of making people regain confidence in the political process. It is the establishment saying "we will run the show however much you kick and shout".

Only if you regard last week's referendum as some sort of mandate for Boris or Gove. :shrug: I didn't vote for either of them. I voted on the issue at hand, which was whether to remain part of the EU. Now we've decided not to, we have to manage the process of leaving as best as possible. Clearly, the feeling is that Boris isn't the best chap for that.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:35 AM
It certainly wasn't a mandate for May. She backed an idea which was thrown out by the voters.

The feeling is that the minority of Tories who voted to leave can rally around her and, with the help of some realpolitikians, provide us with a PM who comes from a minority within a minority.

That's not democracy. It's pretty close to a constitutional coup.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:38 AM
It certainly wasn't a mandate for May. She backed an idea which was thrown out by the voters.

The feeling is that the minority of Tories who voted to leave can rally around her and, with the help of some realpolitikians, provide us with a PM who comes from a minority within a minority.

That's not democracy. It's pretty close to a constitutional coup.

How the hell can the internal decisions of one political party be a constitutional coup?

The referendum vote wasn't a mandate for any politician, it was a mandate to leave the EU - nothing more. That is something May has made clear that she acknowledges and will do if chosen as PM. How the Tory party chooses to run its affairs is a matter for them and no-one else at this stage.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:44 AM
Because this internal decision is foisting an unelected PM upon the rest of us who is not even the most popular politician in her own party.

You might as well have kept Cameron. It was a vote against a political idea - the EU - and those who rooted for it should not now be allowed to dictate our exit terms.

Sir C
06-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Because this internal decision is foisting an unelected PM upon the rest of us who is not even the most popular politician in her own party.

You might as well have kept Cameron. It was a vote against a political idea - the EU - and those who rooted for it should not now be allowed to dictate our exit terms.

Remember, we don't elect prime ministers. We elect MPs.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah, yeah sure. But who's going to be PM is one of the major factors behind people's decision to vote for a party. Hence the Foot debacle and assorted Tory leader failures.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Remember, we don't elect prime ministers. We elect MPs.

Not really sure facts are really Mo's thing when he goes into full drama queen mode

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Not really sure facts are really Mo's thing when he goes into full drama queen mode

Sorry but the insistence that the referendum result somehow entitles May to be PM ahead of Johnson or Gove is simply perverse. FACT.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 11:58 AM
Sorry but the insistence that the referendum result somehow entitles May to be PM ahead of Johnson or Gove is simply perverse. FACT.

No, it isn't. No point arguing as Berni has laid out the reasons why not above :shrug:

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 12:03 PM
We disagree. That's all. I put my logic behind numbers.

Ash
06-30-2016, 12:07 PM

The referendum result doesn't instruct a party who its leader should be, only what they are mandated to do.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 12:10 PM
We disagree. That's all. I put my logic behind numbers.

I'm not sure there is anything logical in the entire situation, m

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 12:11 PM
The referendum result doesn't instruct a party who its leader should be, only what they are mandated to do.

"She's a professional cynic, but her heart's not in it"

redgunamo
06-30-2016, 12:33 PM
What you on about, M?

"She's a professional cynic, but her heart's not in it"

Pokster
06-30-2016, 12:42 PM

Couple of reasons why you are wrong... 52% of the votes cast were to leave, who knows what % of those were Tory voters, so how does a referendum question decide who can and can't run for leader of the party, every chance it will be May v Gove that the Tory party vote for... if Goive loses then it shows that the Tory voters think May is the better leader to lead us out of Europe (if it comes to that)

Ash
06-30-2016, 12:48 PM
Couple of reasons why you are wrong... 52% of the votes cast were to leave, who knows what % of those were Tory voters, so how does a referendum question decide who can and can't run for leader of the party, every chance it will be May v Gove that the Tory party vote for... if Goive loses then it shows that the Tory voters think May is the better leader to lead us out of Europe (if it comes to that)

Difficult to see how a man who had said he was not up to the job can win. There must have been a lot of private knives out for Boris.

Pokster
06-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Difficult to see how a man who had said he was not up to the job can win. There must have been a lot of private knives out for Boris.

The Tory party does have previous in picking rank outsiders to be leader.... Sir C for PM!

Sir C
06-30-2016, 01:04 PM
The Tory party does have previous in picking rank outsiders to be leader.... Sir C for PM!

I couldn't afford to take the pay cut, old chap. Mrs C isn't cheap to keep.

Tony C
06-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Only a gentleman would step aside on the cusp of absolute greatness imo

Legend is Sir Boris imo

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Only a gentleman would step aside on the cusp of absolute greatness imo

Legend is Sir Boris imo

You're right Tony. "Greater love hath no man...." blah blah