PDA

View Full Version : Project Fudge. Gove and Fox challenging Boris.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 10:09 AM
They will let in May and nothing will change.

Herr Floyd
06-30-2016, 10:12 AM

They are going to screw us over arent they Mo?. I think Boris is somewhat of a pillock but whoever the new prime minister is, they must be a Leave campaigner.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 10:17 AM
They are going to screw us over arent they Mo?. I think Boris is somewhat of a pillock but whoever the new prime minister is, they must be a Leave campaigner.

I agree. Absurd to get a Remain leader when the most important issue is to negotiate Brexit. I don't mind if it's Gove or Boris, and I quite like Fox though I'm not sure he's leadership material. But Boris has better chance of winning a general election and saving us from Corbyn.

Pat Vegas
06-30-2016, 10:19 AM

I am fed up with May.

I was told we would be dancing in the streets at that time.

Burney
06-30-2016, 10:26 AM
I agree. Absurd to get a Remain leader when the most important issue is to negotiate Brexit. I don't mind if it's Gove or Boris, and I quite like Fox though I'm not sure he's leadership material. But Boris has better chance of winning a general election and saving us from Corbyn.

I don't think you need to worry about Corbyn, Mo. Him staying in place is literally the best thing that could happen to the Tory party. :hehe:

The only problem that would arise would be if Labour actually had a credible leader in place at the time of the election. Meanwhile, the LibDems are shamelessly trying to use a Remain platform to position themselves as a credible party again.

I don't agree with you about May. May could be seen as the best compromise candidate, as she has cannily remained untarnished by the whole Brexit business, but - as her statements make clear - she knows that rolling back on Brexit isn't an option.

Ultimately, there's bound to be a fudge on the deal we make - that's how deals work.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 10:37 AM
You can't fudge this. Ultimately it's in or out unless - my dearest wish - the EU project collapses and is replaced by a community of nations who co-operate without an unelected all-powerful Commission running the show for its benefit.

But if the EU continues in its present shape and form we are in or out. There really isn't a grey area on this.

Burney
06-30-2016, 10:44 AM
You can't fudge this. Ultimately it's in or out unless - my dearest wish - the EU project collapses and is replaced by a community of nations who co-operate without an unelected all-powerful Commission running the show for its benefit.

But if the EU continues in its present shape and form we are in or out. There really isn't a grey area on this.

Oh, we're out. Make no mistake about that. The fudge will be the terms on which we're out - not the fact itself. All that is just wishful thinking by Remainers. There will be a fudge on free movement (probably something along the lines of free movement of labour, but restrictions on other forms of movement) and there will be a fudge on our access to the single market. We will not be entirely outside the EU, but neither will we be part of it.

Ultimately, all I cared abut was the undemocratic, authoritarian and unaccountable nature of the EU, so I just wanted us out of that. The other details don't bother me over much. :shrug:

Ash
06-30-2016, 10:48 AM

Gove standing is possibly to do with Boris not being liked by certain newspaper owners.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Possibly to do with Boris not being liked by certain newspaper owners.
Indeed - but at least we are free from the yoke of undemocratic, authoritarian and unaccountable leaders, eh :)

Sir C
06-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Indeed - but at least we are free from the yoke of undemocratic, authoritarian and unaccountable leaders, eh :)

Our leaders may be undemocratic, authroitarian and unaccountable, but they're our leaders, at least.

That chap Juncker has angered me.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 10:53 AM
Our leaders may be undemocratic, authroitarian and unaccountable, but they're our leaders, at least.

He's angered Angela as well - I suspect he may not be long for this world

Burney
06-30-2016, 10:58 AM

They largely put him in place to anger us, though. And guess what? He succeeded admirably. wd EU. Top judgement there.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Juncker is an odious alcoholic skunk.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Juncker is an odious alcoholic skunk.

Whoa there, mo. Let's have less of the hating on alcoholics now. No need for that.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-30-2016, 11:03 AM
I have no problem with alcoholics. Most of my best friends are alcoholics.

But none of them are supposedly running the affairs of a continent.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:11 AM
I have no problem with alcoholics. Most of my best friends are alcoholics.

But none of them are supposedly running the affairs of a continent.

Churchill was a raging alcoholic. He seemed to manage.

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 11:16 AM
Churchill was a raging alcoholic. He seemed to manage.

I'd much rather trust an alcoholic than a tee-totaller. Odd people them

Ash
06-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Ultimately, all I cared abut was the undemocratic, authoritarian and unaccountable nature of the EU, so I just wanted us out of that. The other details don't bother me over much. :shrug:

Yes, which is why remaining in the single market is the desirable route. However, as the free movement of goods, services, capital and labour requires standard rules defining what constitutes those things there is the matter of having to accept those rules, thus still being subject to EU law to an extent. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

One of the liberating things of being out of the EU should be the ability to not be subject to EU's racist policies against brown people, so that we can attract more talent from India and Africa.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:19 AM
I'd much rather trust an alcoholic than a tee-totaller. Odd people them

Yes. My view would be that Juncker would be a **** regardless of how much he drinks.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Yes, which is why remaining in the single market is the desirable route. However, as the free movement of goods, services, capital and labour requires standard rules defining what constitutes those things there is the matter of having to accept those rules, thus still being subject to EU law to an extent. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

One of the liberating things of being out of the EU should be the ability to not be subject to EU's racist policies against brown people, so that we can attract more talent from India and Africa.

Yes, we're going to have to swallow some stuff we don't particularly like as part of the deal, but so are they. That's how deals work.

Anyone who thought we were going to cut all ties and walk off into the sunset was kidding themselves.

It's like a divorce, basically. You split up, but there are still ties that bind you in terms of finances, property, kids, etc, so it's never going to be truly final.

Ash
06-30-2016, 11:26 AM

Some of them are clearly undemocratic, top of the list being about-to-be-confirmed war criminal Tony Blair who wishes to overturn the result of this referendum, as if it was merely a glorified opinion poll, but they're not entirely unnacountable.

Though I believe LA may have been referring to the newspaper owners. But ironically, for all the contempt for Murdoch, isn't The Times probably the most neutral newspaper we have? If so, it's a shame more people can't read it, really. Perhaps it should add boobies.

Burney
06-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Some of them are clearly undemocratic, top of the list being about-to-be-confirmed war criminal Tony Blair who wishes to overturn the result of this referendum, as if it was merely a glorified opinion poll, but they're not entirely unnacountable.

Though I believe LA may have been referring to the newspaper owners. But ironically, for all the contempt for Murdoch, isn't The Times probably the most neutral newspaper we have? If so, it's a shame more people can't read it, really. Perhaps it should add boobies.

Tony 'Of course you can have a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty' Blair, undemocratic? Surely not?

Luis Anaconda
06-30-2016, 11:32 AM

I was indeed - and yes you are right. The Times is more even-handed than most and is actually a very good read on events at the moment. I was actually surprised when it came out for remain, but I suspect* it is the fact that it doesn't have more readers that means it has more of a free-hand in this issue and others.

* know

redgunamo
06-30-2016, 11:36 AM

Of course, the Germans learned their lesson over their "re-unification". Or, anyway, they should have.