PDA

View Full Version : So members of the same English football press who have for years ridiculed AW now

Burney
06-29-2016, 08:17 AM
want him as England manager?

Sometimes I wish he weren't such a nice man and would publicly tell them all to get ****ed.

Sir C
06-29-2016, 08:22 AM

I wish he weren't such a nice man and would publicly tell them all to get ****ed.

Christ, imagine what they'd do to him in the inevitable event of England's failure at the next tournament :-(

Snin
06-29-2016, 08:23 AM
they ridiculed him for not buying new players , not picking enough english players but respecting he did best withwhat he had and won some things and could have won more things with some star signings..so perfect for england job as he cant go and buy players anyway and he has to pick english :)

Snin
06-29-2016, 08:24 AM
england will win with him in charge imo plus means we get a new manager..win win :)

Burney
06-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Christ, imagine what they'd do to him in the inevitable event of England's failure at the next tournament :-(

Also, why when speculating do the press always seem to overlook the fact that one of the consistent themes of his career is that he always sees out his contracts?

Snin
06-29-2016, 08:29 AM
because the press are morons? not you LA..yes you Monty :) I wish theFA would get Conte tbh..as I like what he doing for Italy and fear hes going to make chelsea a bit damn good and not even that hateable :(

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Also, why when speculating do the press always seem to overlook the fact that one of the consistent themes of his career is that he always sees out his contracts?

Apart from at Nancy and Grampus 8 you mean (which is quite a high percentage of his clubs he managed, and he was sacked by the only other one)

redgunamo
06-29-2016, 08:43 AM
If you repeat something often enough though, folk will believe it.

Apart from at Nancy and Grampus 8 you mean (which is quite a high percentage of his clubs he managed, and he was sacked by the only other one)

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 08:45 AM
If you repeat something often enough though, folk will believe it.

Very true, r, very true

Burney
06-29-2016, 08:51 AM

I was under the impression that the reason we ended up waiting for him to turn up was because he was seeing out his contract at Grampus 8 (such a stupid name for a football club - wd Japanesers)?

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 08:58 AM
I was under the impression that the reason we ended up waiting for him to turn up was because he was seeing out his contract at Grampus 8 (such a stupid name for a football club - wd Japanesers)?
It was to the end of their season I think (or one stage of their convoluted system), not the end of his contract. He is of course undoubtedly an honorable man and far too good for the England job

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Sometimes I wish he weren't such a nice man and would publicly tell them all to get ****ed.
I actually think the most offensive one to him* (and many have backed him if not been entirely uncritical) is Henry Winter who in one day has shifted from a Southgate/Hoddle combo to a bizarre Howe/Gerrard dream team this morning. Where to start with that...

*discounted that hateful ginger clickbait merchant at the Mail who's name escapes me and Piers Morgan

Sir C
06-29-2016, 09:08 AM
I actually think the most offensive one to him* (and many have backed him if not been entirely uncritical) is Henry Winter who in one day has shifted from a Southgate/Hoddle combo to a bizarre Howe/Gerrard dream team this morning. Where to start with that...

*discounted that hateful ginger clickbait merchant at the Mail who's name escapes me and Piers Morgan

Hold on, Don Howe died years ago, didn't he?

Mind you, we'd be assured of England playing a solid 4-4-2, at least.

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 09:14 AM
Hold on, Don Howe died years ago, didn't he?

Mind you, we'd be assured of England playing a solid 4-4-2, at least.

If we can pick a foreigner why can't we pick a dead man? Still be more interesting than Gerrard.

He actually only died last Christmas

PSRB
06-29-2016, 09:17 AM

Even if he was no longer in our employment I'd want him to steer well clear, does not deserve the inevitable abuse

Although the thought of Southgate being charge is just horrific

Monty92
06-29-2016, 09:18 AM

To be fair, there’s not really anyone in the media who has ever suggested he’s a fundamentally bad manager. On the contrary, everyone almost universally agrees he’s a very good one, but also a stubborn one who is overly bound to his principles.

Which I don't necessarily agree with, but is nonetheless an entirely fair comment to make.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-29-2016, 09:20 AM

It's a misreporting of their culinary habits. Should be "Grampus ate".

redgunamo
06-29-2016, 09:29 AM
To be fair, there’s not really anyone in the media who has ever suggested he’s a fundamentally bad manager. On the contrary, everyone almost universally agrees he’s a very good one, but also a stubborn one who is overly bound to his principles.

Which I don't necessarily agree with, but is nonetheless an entirely fair comment to make.

Snide, dismissive criticism is inherent, though, in the use of the term "principles" itself. See also: Philosophy.

Pat Vegas
06-29-2016, 09:33 AM
It's a misreporting of their culinary habits. Should be "Grampus ate".

I always thought it sounded like someone telling you the time.
what time is it?
It's Grampus 8

Sir C
06-29-2016, 09:35 AM
If we can pick a foreigner why can't we pick a dead man? Still be more interesting than Gerrard.

He actually only died last Christmas

We could get thon boobylady to bring him back to life imo.

Mmmm boobylady :homer:

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 09:38 AM

Boobylady does have the power to raise things that's for sure

Monty92
06-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Snide, dismissive criticism is inherent, though, in the use of the term "principles" itself. See also: Philosophy.

The only snide, dismissive criticism of Arsene Wenger comes from our own fans. Everyone else just thinks he should be a bit more pragmatic, which, again, I would take issue with, but am not offended by as an expressed opinion.

Sir C
06-29-2016, 09:43 AM

She gives me a funny feeling in my tummy, if I'm honest.

redgunamo
06-29-2016, 09:53 AM
The only snide, dismissive criticism of Arsene Wenger comes from our own fans. Everyone else just thinks he should be a bit more pragmatic, which, again, I would take issue with, but am not offended by as an expressed opinion.

Oh, sure, we do it too. Fleet Street is sometimes more subtle?

But, as you suggest, it's all just #banter, in any case.

redgunamo
06-29-2016, 09:53 AM

Yes. But apparently, not pictures :rolleyes:

Burney
06-29-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure how interested in solid back fours the Lord of Light is, though.

Tony C
06-29-2016, 11:44 AM
they will rip him to shreads....poor guy.

Luis Anaconda
06-29-2016, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure how interested in solid back fours the Lord of Light is, though.

More a 3-5-2 Deity, you mean. Bloody foreigners

ITSUPFORGRABSNOW
06-29-2016, 07:15 PM

The scene where Gabby Loga in a ginger wig says 'You know nuthin' Don Howe' would be worth waiting for

Alexism - Atheoist
06-29-2016, 11:42 PM
'scuse me, but isn't the criticism of England right now that they don't have a system? That the players are left too much to their own devices and allowed to play? Wenger is the very essence of what the current pundits are decrying about the team.
Good thing he's with us. :) The Jazzer.