PDA

View Full Version : I do like this idea that suddenly young people are inherently better placed to decide

Monty92
06-27-2016, 11:36 AM
on the country’s future because they’re used to being able to fly anywhere in Europe for £30 and therefore “feel European”

Surely older generations have one huge, undeniable advantage: they remember a time before the EU and what was promised to them when we joined.

Burney
06-27-2016, 11:39 AM
on the country’s future because they’re used to being able to fly anywhere in Europe for £30 and therefore “feel European”

Surely older generations have one huge, undeniable advantage: they remember a time before the EU and what was promised to them when we joined.

Oh, don't get me started on these entitled little ****s. I'm thoroughly sick of hearing the crap from kids about how us evil older people have 'stolen their future' and how many of them didn't get a chance to vote because they're too young.

Their taste for hyperbole and drama-queenery to one side, I've had to point out quite forcefully to one niece so far that I was born in 1973 - the year we joined the Common Market. I got precisely no say in that decision about my future.

Over the intervening 43 years, I have watched the Common Market morph into the EEC and then the EU. I have watched as successive governments devolved ever more power over me to this organisation over which I had no democratic control. I watched it infect our judiciary, our legislature and I watched it assume increasing executive powers and fundamentally undermine the democratic principle. I watched it grow like topsy and I watched it spend ever more money on itself and its functionaries.

And what say did I get about this? None.

At no point in the 25 years I have been entitled to vote was I consulted about my country's place in this organisation - until last Thursday. Given that, don't come to me as a wet-behind-the-ears kid and talk to me about how you haven't had a ****ing say. Try being ignored for a quarter of a century and then come back to me and then - and only then - I might listen to you.

PSRB
06-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Oh, don't get me started on these entitled little ****s. I'm thoroughly sick of hearing the crap from kids about how us evil older people have 'stolen their future' and how many of them didn't get a chance to vote because they're too young.

Their taste for hyperbole and drama-queenery to one side, I've had to point out quite forcefully to one niece so far that I was born in 1973 - the year we joined the Common Market. I got precisely no say in that decision about my future.

Over the intervening 43 years, I have watched the Common Market morph into the EEC and then the EU. I have watched as successive governments devolved ever more power over me to this organisation over which I had no democratic control. I watched it infect our judiciary, our legislature and I watched it assume increasing executive powers and fundamentally undermine the democratic principle. I watched it grow like topsy and I watched it spend ever more money on itself and its functionaries.

And what say did I get about this? None.

At no point in the 25 years I have been entitled to vote was I consulted about my country's place in this organisation - until last Thursday. Given that, don't come to me as a wet-behind-the-ears kid and talk to me about how you haven't had a ****ing say. Try being ignored for a quarter of a century and then come back to me and then - and only then - I might listen to you.

:clap: here, here, b

redgunamo
06-27-2016, 12:12 PM

No. Young people are rubbish, M. They're all skint, for a start.

Ash
06-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Over the intervening 43 years, I have watched the Common Market morph into the EEC and then the EU.

There was an EC in there somewhere too, I think.

IUFG
06-27-2016, 12:34 PM
My 25year old nephew with his Masters in Economics from LSE told me I wasn't qualified enough to make a decision about leaving or staying in the EU. Whilst saying he was qualified enough as he understands the economic implications.

The jobless little **** got the stare...

redgunamo
06-27-2016, 12:38 PM
My 25year old nephew with his Masters in Economics from LSE told me I wasn't qualified enough to make a decision about leaving or staying in the EU. Whilst saying he was qualified enough as he understands the economic implications.

The jobless little **** got the stare...

Little turd. Has he ever considered becoming manager of a Premier League football club?

Pokster
06-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Little turd. Has he ever considered becoming manager of a Premier League football club?

I'm confused, I thought it was us Northerners with little education who were to blame, now it is the old people.... bit surprising that Harrogate voted to stay seeing as it is Northern and full of retired bods

7sisters
06-27-2016, 12:47 PM
No. Young people are rubbish, M. They're all skint, for a start.

They can also speak from an upstart perspective on freedom and lofty ambition without those ground levelling responsibilities; those things that will ultimately grind their hopes and dreams into the dust like all the rest of us :-)

redgunamo
06-27-2016, 12:48 PM
I'm confused, I thought it was us Northerners with little education who were to blame, now it is the old people.... bit surprising that Harrogate voted to stay seeing as it is Northern and full of retired bods

It's just toys being hurled out of prams in all directions, isn't it. People will be calming down over the coming days and weeks.

Let's hope :-|

redgunamo
06-27-2016, 12:49 PM
They can also speak from an upstart perspective on freedom and lofty ambition without those ground levelling responsibilities; those things that will ultimately grind their hopes and dreams into the dust like all the rest of us :-)

Join the army, they said; it's a man's life, they said :-)

Ash
06-27-2016, 12:50 PM

Harrogate's fairly posh, though, innit?

Met a woman from North Yorkshire on holiday. Fancied herself higher up the social ladder than most of her fellow Yorkies, and said Brexiters should be gassed.