PDA

View Full Version : Whilst I completely disagree with a petition for a 2nd referendum.

Pat Vegas
06-27-2016, 10:04 AM
maybe it's not a bad idea.

Things will be unstable for a while now and it's already doing my head in.

7sisters
06-27-2016, 10:06 AM

Did you see that **** Salmond last night.. **** me.. Bore off with the Scottish thing mate..

Pat Vegas
06-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Did you see that **** Salmond last night.. **** me.. Bore off with the Scottish thing mate..

:hehe: Always have to be a the front of things.

Let them go and be on their own.

Ash
06-27-2016, 10:11 AM

I quite like the idea of being able to offload Northern Ireland though.

Sir C
06-27-2016, 10:16 AM

Perhaps we could do that when we have a general election. If the result doesn't suit the Guardian-reading classes, we simply do it again.

Amazing. Just. Amazing.

Ash
06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
:hehe: Always have to be a the front of things.

Let them go and be on their own.

It's odd that it's a perfectly acceptable position for a Scot to wish to end political union with England, but a Rosbif who wishes to end political union with Europe is a pariah.

redgunamo
06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
I quite like the idea of being able to offload Northern Ireland though.

Steady on, A. Salmon doesn't grow on trees.

Ash
06-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Perhaps we could do that when we have a general election. If the result doesn't suit the Guardian-reading classes, we simply do it again.

Amazing. Just. Amazing.

They really hate democracy. People in my office are livid that these dreadful working class people are allowed to vote.

Burney
06-27-2016, 10:19 AM

You think a second referendum would make things more stable? :hehe:

You do realise that if there were such a naked attempt to ignore and overturn a clear democratic mandate that the current mudslinging and recriminations would escalate into virtual civil war, yes?

Pat Vegas
06-27-2016, 10:20 AM
You think a second referendum would make things more stable? :hehe:

You do realise that if there were such a naked attempt to ignore and overturn a clear democratic mandate that the current mudslinging and recriminations would escalate into virtual civil war, yes?

I don't really care Berni. I am being selfish again. I can see my plan and 'investment' going down the pan currently :furious:
£1 = $1.74 Canadian :-(

EDIT It's gone down 2 more Pence since I made the post :-(

Mo Britain less Europe
06-27-2016, 10:21 AM
If there is a second referendum and leave wins again is that it? Or do we have a third one, especially if result is closer?

If there is a second referendum and remain wins, then surely we must make it best of three. At least.

SWv2
06-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Watching from outside I have found the whole reaction to be laughable.

Remain voters who have lost (not all of course) wanting or demanding a second referendum simply because the democratic process did not come out in their favour. The same people who would be laughing at the Leave campaign had they lost and were now acting in the same way.

The dismissal in some areas of voters who in some minds should not have been allowed to vote, a throwaway comment perhaps but one rooted in sheer arrogance. Too thick, too old, too racist.

Then I see a fleeting headline somewhere about London wanting to remain, I assume as some kind of standalone independent zone. It’s not a country after all.

I know a lot of it is *******s and made up *******s but still, silly.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-27-2016, 10:25 AM
London voted to remain because much of the population are recent immigrants worried about not being to bring more immigrants in. It's in no way a "progressive" vote.

To see which way the working-class has voted all you need to do is look at how the safe Labour seats in the north voted.

Brentwood
06-27-2016, 10:26 AM

My prediction is that it will never be invoked. They'll make it dependent on the creation of a plan and if that plan clearly doesn't deliver what the voters expected, they'll be able to say it'll be irresponsible to proceed. Either that or there'll be a general election in which the parties say we are categorically going to stay in if you elect us

Burney
06-27-2016, 10:29 AM
It's odd that it's a perfectly acceptable position for a Scot to wish to end political union with England, but a Rosbif who wishes to end political union with Europe is a pariah.

Yes. This irony appears to be lost on them. As does the fact that they voted to remain part of the United Kingdom, which means having to abide by the will of the majority of the country.

7sisters
06-27-2016, 10:43 AM

Staggering hypocrisy of course. They've being abusing the English with the West Lothian question for years

Bergkamp Was Best
06-27-2016, 10:48 AM
So many dummies spat out of prams, some of the remain camp comments have been laughable. A democratic vote that didn't go their way so now they suggest we ignore the democratic process and keep voting until the result flips in their favour. Pathetic chinless wonders who need to grow a pair and just get on with life. That is all...

Burney
06-27-2016, 10:53 AM
My prediction is that it will never be invoked. They'll make it dependent on the creation of a plan and if that plan clearly doesn't deliver what the voters expected, they'll be able to say it'll be irresponsible to proceed. Either that or there'll be a general election in which the parties say we are categorically going to stay in if you elect us

Wilfully ignoring people's anger and frustration is kind of how we got here in the first place, though. To double down on that would at best be to store even worse problems up for a few years down the line.

IUFG
06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
**** a second referendum. Not that it will happen, of course.

I am enjoying watching people run around, waving their arms in the air whilst shrieking hysterically. Great fun.

Brentwood
06-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Wilfully ignoring people's anger and frustration is kind of how we got here in the first place, though. To double down on that would at best be to store even worse problems up for a few years down the line.

I agree, but now somebody has to come up with a watertight plan to present back to the electorate before invoking article 50. Unless that successfully addresses the immigration and cost promises presented to them in the referendum, how can they just plough ahead with it?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-27-2016, 11:24 AM

Keep voting until we get the correct outcome :hehe:

Mo Britain less Europe
06-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Keep voting until we get the correct outcome :hehe:

Or until several million more immigrants are shoehorned in and they make the difference. Although, funnily enough, quite a few immigrants end up going native.

PSRB
06-27-2016, 12:16 PM
They really hate democracy. People in my office are livid that these dreadful working class people are allowed to vote.

The whine is always about First past the post vs proportional representation, that usually provides 6 months of nonsense

Ash
06-27-2016, 12:33 PM
The whine is always about First past the post vs proportional representation, that usually provides 6 months of nonsense

People's views on PR can change pretty quickly depending on whether they are getting representation or not. By the time these two parties have torn themselves apart we could be seeing a very different political landscape, and electoral reform could be more popular.

The single transferable vote works for the Mayor vote, imo. I could vote for the bint who was never going to get in but she sensibly opposed the ridicules garden bridge, with my vote transferring to my preferred of the two candidates that had a chance.