PDA

View Full Version : Of course, if there are any real statesmen left in this country

Sir C
06-24-2016, 01:21 PM
and if there are any to be found in the EU, a Great Fudge could easily be made.

Starting with the understanding that there is no rush to crack on and rush into anything, the chaps may all put their heads together and come up with a possible plan with which to tempt the public into changing their minds. Free movement of people 'within certain limits', for example. Boris could return triumphantly from Brussels waving a piece of paper representing the best of both worlds, and we could try out this new, improved EU for a couple of years before pressing the Out button. By then hoi polloi might be temptedf to step back from the brink.

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Starting with the understanding that there is no rush to crack on and rush into anything, the chaps may all put their heads together and come up with a possible plan with which to tempt the public into changing their minds. Free movement of people 'within certain limits', for example. Boris could return triumphantly from Brussels waving a piece of paper representing the best of both worlds, and we could try out this new, improved EU for a couple of years before pressing the Out button. By then hoi polloi might be temptedf to step back from the brink.

I think everyone's pretty much backed themselves into a corner on this one. The EU are pressing us to pull the trigger asap, while any suggestion of a fudge will be seen as an attempt to defy the will of the people.

Sir C
06-24-2016, 01:29 PM
I think everyone's pretty much backed themselves into a corner on this one. The EU are pressing us to pull the trigger asap, while any suggestion of a fudge will be seen as an attempt to defy the will of the people.

Lord Willie of Hague could do it :-(

Pokster
06-24-2016, 01:31 PM

He's very good with the fudge

SWv2
06-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Democracy has spoken, or whatever.

You cannot just choose to renege on the decision of the people because your chosen solution did not win.

You’re on your own now.

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Nah. They're all like "If you want to leave then get out!" and we're all like "Can we at least pack a few things and find somewhere to live?" and they're all like "No! Get out!"

We're going to find our metaphorical clothes on the front lawn with all the crotches cut out of the trousers imo. :-(

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Ooh, saucy.

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:41 PM

You cannot just choose to renege on the decision of the people because your chosen solution did not win.

You’re on your own now.

:hehe: I reckon we'll manage, sw, but thanks for the tough love.

Sir C
06-24-2016, 01:41 PM

You’re on your own now.

Alright then, *******s to you :vsign:

Sir C
06-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Is that a homophobic double entendre, there?

I heard a couple of examples of that sort of thing up norf recently. You're all living in 1973 really, aren't you?

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Alright then, *******s to you :vsign:

Does this mean we can ask for all that the money we gave the Irish when they were in the **** back, by the way?

Sir C
06-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Does this mean we can ask for all that the money we gave the Irish when they were in the **** back, by the way?

Well I expect we could ask, but I'd be reasonably sure they've pissed it away like a navvy's wages on a Friday night :shrug:

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Well I expect we could ask, but I'd be reasonably sure they've pissed it away like a navvy's wages on a Friday night :shrug:

:nod: Put it all on a horse, I reckon.

Sir C
06-24-2016, 01:53 PM
:nod: Put it all on a horse, I reckon.

I see the FTSE's recovered to where it was on Monday.

Looks like everyone found a paper bag to breathe into for a bit.

Burney
06-24-2016, 02:01 PM
I see the FTSE's recovered to where it was on Monday.

Looks like everyone found a paper bag to breathe into for a bit.

Not this fella. He reckons we're all after rounding up the ethnics or something. :hehe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/intolerance-ethnic-minority-poles-uk

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 02:13 PM
My former MP, for a start

http://con4lib.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/boris-johnson-011.jpg

Burney
06-24-2016, 02:17 PM
My former MP, for a start

http://con4lib.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/boris-johnson-011.jpg

Poor fella's knackered, bless 'im.

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 02:20 PM
Poor fella's knackered, bless 'im.

Will he really be Prime Minister?

Burney
06-24-2016, 02:23 PM

Well it'll either be him or thon May chick. :shrug:

Sir C
06-24-2016, 02:24 PM
well it'll either be him or thon may chick. :shrug:

i want willie!

Mo Britain less Europe
06-24-2016, 02:25 PM

Yes. It would be absurd to have a duplicitous trimmer like May, who supported Remain, to negotiate the new deal.

Gove is the only realistic alternative but preferably they'll team up.

Burney
06-24-2016, 02:26 PM
i want willie!

I think we tried that before, didn't we? It didn't go well, did it? :-(

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 02:28 PM
I think we tried that before, didn't we? It didn't go well, did it? :-(

Faults on both sides, I'm sure.

Assuming anyone actually touched the sides, that is.

Burney
06-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes. It would be absurd to have a duplicitous trimmer like May, who supported Remain, to negotiate the new deal.

Gove is the only realistic alternative but preferably they'll team up.

I think Gove knows he's not PM material. May will be more popular with the MPs, but the membership (who make the final decision) will probably prefer a Leave candidate. May tried to stay below the radar as much as possible, but having been Remain isn't a good look right now.

Rich
06-24-2016, 02:37 PM

I really do hope so, Sir C. I'm awfully worried :-(

Why did we elect to shoot ourselves in the foot? It makes no sense to me.

Sir C
06-24-2016, 02:42 PM

Oh it will all be fine, whatever happens. There's far too much money at stake for anything to be allowed to go wrong.

Burney
06-24-2016, 02:45 PM

Jesus wept, man! Strap on a pair, for ****'s sake. It'll be fine.

7sisters
06-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Oh it will all be fine, whatever happens. There's far too much money at stake for anything to be allowed to go wrong.

Well, at least the there is, now that we won't be involved in pouring/wasting money towards propping up an expanding clump of backwater and largely corrupt ne'er do wells..

SWv2
06-24-2016, 03:03 PM
Well, at least the there is, now that we won't be involved in pouring/wasting money towards propping up an expanding clump of backwater and largely corrupt ne'er do wells..

Is this the 350m per day I have been hearing about?

In fact I did see a television advert about it last week. A new hospital per day, blimey.