"Is this the promised end
Or image of that horror?
Fall, and cease!"

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Or image of that horror?
Fall, and cease!"

Isn't Shakespeare known for never having been closer to Europe than Fleet Street?

7sisters
06-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Or image of that horror?
Fall, and cease!"

This is the real bonus of the outcome. The hand wringing, the faux grieving. It certainly goes some way towards ameliorating their spitefulness towards those forgotten but very real people. Least, I think that's how Farage bracketed them..

Mo Britain less Europe
06-24-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm afraid the Remain campaign, some at least, started their gloating a little early. If they'd been more gracious when it looked like they'd won maybe the other lot would have been more gracious when they actually did win.

Burney
06-24-2016, 11:37 AM
I'm afraid the Remain campaign, some at least, started their gloating a little early. If they'd been more gracious when it looked like they'd won maybe the other lot would have been more gracious when they actually did win.

I am particularly proud of Leave voters for ignoring the blatant attempts to emotionally blackmail them into voting Remain after the Jo Cox business. I'd been confident before that, but I must admit I thought that might swing it. wd everyone.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-24-2016, 11:40 AM
I thought the Jo Cox murder had swung it. I was wrong. I underestimated the strength of the loathing which had built up against the EU and its leadership. I do think if it hadn't happened though the result would have been even clearer, probably topping 55% for leave.

Burney
06-24-2016, 11:45 AM
I thought the Jo Cox murder had swung it. I was wrong. I underestimated the strength of the loathing which had built up against the EU and its leadership. I do think if it hadn't happened though the result would have been even clearer, probably topping 55% for leave.

I'm not sure. I think the timing was helpful. Leave took a knock immediately afterwards, but just about had time to recover from it.

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 11:47 AM

It occurred to me at the time that this poor woman's sort was actually part of the problem, the issue.

Yes, she was *from* there and everything, but her career suggested she was much more concerned with representing foreigners, in foreign even, than she was bothered about standing up for local people in her constituency.

I'm a long way away from it though, so I could've misread the whole thing.

Burney
06-24-2016, 11:52 AM
It occurred to me at the time that this poor woman's sort was actually part of the problem, the issue.

Yes, she was *from* there and everything, but her career suggested she was much more concerned with representing foreigners, in foreign even, than she was bothered about standing up for local people in her constituency.

I'm a long way away from it though, so I could've misread the whole thing.

No. That's about right. If you look at how that sort of area voted, her support for Remain was clearly not in harmony with the feelings of many of her constituents.

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 11:57 AM
No. That's about right. If you look at how that sort of area voted, her support for Remain was clearly not in harmony with the feelings of many of her constituents.

Ah, good.

Stands to reason really. I mean, you don't go to Cambridge just to spend your career chatting to former miner's wives in your home village about the price of eggs, do you.

Burney
06-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Ah, good.

Stands to reason really. I mean, you don't go to Cambridge just to spend your career chatting to former miner's wives in your home village about the price of eggs, do you.

Miners? Blimey, you have been away a long time haven't you? :hehe:

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 12:21 PM
Miners? Blimey, you have been away a long time haven't you? :hehe:

:hehe: I was even surprised Henley voted In!

Monty92
06-24-2016, 12:32 PM
I am particularly proud of Leave voters for ignoring the blatant attempts to emotionally blackmail them into voting Remain after the Jo Cox business. I'd been confident before that, but I must admit I thought that might swing it. wd everyone.

Do we know if it was tight enough for the slightly-lower-than-expected turnout in London (due to the weather) to swing it?

Monty92
06-24-2016, 12:36 PM

Surely huge numbers of those who voted Leave aren't politically engaged enough to "loath" the EU?

Pat Vegas
06-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Do we know if it was tight enough for the slightly-lower-than-expected turnout in London (due to the weather) to swing it?

Weather out.

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:13 PM
Surely huge numbers of those who voted Leave aren't politically engaged enough to "loath" the EU?

They were politically engaged enough to hate having been lied to about Europe for 40 years and ignored and insulted if they dared to object. It amounts to the same thing, ultimately.

Burney
06-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Not really. I seriously doubt 1.3 million Remain voters were prevented from voting by flooding.

PSRB
06-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Not really. I seriously doubt 1.3 million Remain voters were prevented from voting by flooding.

I think they're all at Glastonbury