PDA

View Full Version : I cannot pretend to understand it all.

SWv2
06-24-2016, 09:30 AM
I thought we were all friends, brothers even.

To sum it up in an Awimb world I am very disappoint.

Burney
06-24-2016, 09:33 AM
I thought we were all friends, brothers even.

To sum it up in an Awimb world I am very disappoint.

Which 'we' is this, sw?

SWv2
06-24-2016, 09:50 AM
Which 'we' is this, sw?

No idea B, as I said I don’t really understand it all nor am I really a) bothered or b) inclined to try and understand it all.

Campaigns on both sides which as far as I can tell were based on fear and suggestion as opposed to facts. I sat only a few weeks ago and watched two Conservative colleagues, prominent ones, totally contradict each other on the same questions.

I suppose “we” really is linked to European brothers, but then of course you are still in Europe and always will be. Just not the EU.

Does this mean a border control when I pop up to visit my old man? Can you open up your boot sir?
Does this mean my Mrs now needs to go to the other passport queue in Dublin airport?
Does this mean neither Hector Bellerin or Nacho Monreal are deemed good enough to play for us anymore?
Does this mean you lot now have to pay higher prices for wine given increased duties?
What about cheese?

IUFG
06-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Will someone please think of the cheeses...

Ash
06-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Does this mean you lot now have to pay higher prices for wine given increased duties?

Not for Southern Hemisphere wines. In fact they could get cheaper.

barrybueno
06-24-2016, 10:06 AM
What about my pint of Stella? Will the price increase? Brexit=Wrecksit :angry:

Burney
06-24-2016, 10:07 AM
No idea B, as I said I don’t really understand it all nor am I really a) bothered or b) inclined to try and understand it all.

Campaigns on both sides which as far as I can tell were based on fear and suggestion as opposed to facts. I sat only a few weeks ago and watched two Conservative colleagues, prominent ones, totally contradict each other on the same questions.

I suppose “we” really is linked to European brothers, but then of course you are still in Europe and always will be. Just not the EU.

Does this mean a border control when I pop up to visit my old man? Can you open up your boot sir?
Does this mean my Mrs now needs to go to the other passport queue in Dublin airport?
Does this mean neither Hector Bellerin or Nacho Monreal are deemed good enough to play for us anymore?
What about cheese?

This was never going to be about rational or reasonable argument, sw. People in the UK who object to certain aspects of the EU have been ignored, derided, insulted and shouted down as 'swivel-eyed loons', 'racists' or 'Little Englanders' for so long that they were always going to grab this chance to stick two fingers up to their detractors with both hands. People turned out to vote Leave who literally had never stepped into a voting booth in their lives before. In that sense, it is very much a cathartic '**** you' to our political masters - something any healthy democracy needs to happen once in a while.

There is also the fact that people in this country - even many of the ones who voted Remain - have never much liked the EU as an institution. And historically, of course, we're suspicious of our European chums - with some justification given that most of them have either tried to or have invaded us at one point or another. So the idea of us being 'brothers' with them is pretty alien to the British.

As to what happens next, who knows? I'm sure you'll be fine. I would point out that overnight upon leaving we will become the EU's single biggest export market, so for all the posturing, it's not really in anyone's long term interests to make things too difficult.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-24-2016, 10:10 AM
Will someone please think of the cheeses...

For your information UK produces more cheeses than France. And they're getting better and better. Try that Llawnroc which Waitrose sells if you like soft cheeses. Yum!

Burney
06-24-2016, 10:23 AM
For your information UK produces more cheeses than France. And they're getting better and better. Try that Llawnroc which Waitrose sells if you like soft cheeses. Yum!

Hmmm. Quantity and quality are rather different things, though. The moment we produce anything as sublime as a Delice de Borgogne I'll say we have some sort of parity. Until then, not so much.

One import we won't have to worry about is sour grapes. The Remain lot have them in abundance it seems :hehe:

Pokster
06-24-2016, 10:25 AM
What about my pint of Stella? Will the price increase? Brexit=Wrecksit :angry:

yes, because the exchange rate has dropped

Burney
06-24-2016, 10:28 AM

It would serve him right for drinking that foul muck, but since its mostly brewed in South Wales by Inbev, he probably needn't worry too much.

Pat Vegas
06-24-2016, 10:33 AM

It can only be good for inbound tourism.

Mo Britain less Europe
06-24-2016, 10:34 AM
We'll be able to eat our own fresh fish here rather than on the Costa too.

redgunamo
06-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Sorry, P. It just seems to be that sort of day.

It can only be good for inbound tourism.