PDA

View Full Version : Things that could have gone better on my trip to Naples last week

Monty92
06-22-2016, 01:52 PM
1) Not missing our flight (National Express delayed by 50 minutes. Cost of rebooking on the next flight 6 hours later on the other side of London = £130)
2) Not staying with the least welcoming and convivial Italian mother ever, whose idea of hospitality was giving me a wide berth every time she saw me and slamming a plate full of fried cheese balls in front of me for dinner, two nights in a row
3) Not driving two hours in the wrong direction to the beach, on the only sunny day
4) Not walking to our hire car to drive to the airport only to find it had been towed away and replaced by a street market, with no signs in sight (Cost or reclaiming our car = €150)

Apart form that, great trip.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 01:53 PM
1) Not missing our flight (National Express delayed by 50 minutes. Cost of rebooking on the next flight 6 hours later = £130)
2) Not staying with the least welcoming Italian mother ever, whose idea of hospitality was giving me a wide berth every time she saw me and slamming a plate full of cheese balls in front of me for dinner, two nights in a row
3) Not driving two hours in the wrong direction to the beach, on the only sunny day
4) Not walking to our hire car to drive to the airport only to find it had been towed away and replaced by a street market, with no signs in sight (Cost or reclaiming our car = €150)

:hehe: Are you pitching to be the new Chevy Chase?

A less charitable soul would have said it serves you right for getting a coach.

Monty92
06-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention arriving at Gatwick after a 2-hour crawl across London from Stansted to check in to our re-booked flight and being told the flight had been (intentionally) over-booked and we would only be allowed on if there were no-shows.

And there was me thinking that ****ing a man would be my travelling nadir.

Luis Anaconda
06-22-2016, 02:00 PM

:-( I had no choice but to get a coach last time I went to Gatwick as the rail line had works on it. It was utter hell. Victoria Coach Station could have been invented by Dante

Luis Anaconda
06-22-2016, 02:01 PM
1) Not missing our flight (National Express delayed by 50 minutes. Cost of rebooking on the next flight 6 hours later on the other side of London = £130)
2) Not staying with the least welcoming and convivial Italian mother ever, whose idea of hospitality was giving me a wide berth every time she saw me and slamming a plate full of fried cheese balls in front of me for dinner, two nights in a row

Why would a 50 minute delay make you miss a flight? Surely any sensible person aims to get to an airport 2-3 hours before a flight

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 02:10 PM
:-( I had no choice but to get a coach last time I went to Gatwick as the rail line had works on it. It was utter hell. Victoria Coach Station could have been invented by Dante

Yeah, given that's the welcome we give a large percentage of the fugees arriving it's quite a wonder they stay. Mind you, nobody uses coaches voluntarily do they? The hard wearing velour gives me the fear, quite frankly.

Pat Vegas
06-22-2016, 02:27 PM

:hehe: 2 hours the wrong way. Where did you end up Foggia? Unless you were heading North if you had driven a few mins longer you would have found a different beach.

Pat Vegas
06-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Why would a 50 minute delay make you miss a flight? Surely any sensible person aims to get to an airport 2-3 hours before a flight

as my family insisted Toronto rush hour would be a nightmare and I insisted it wouldn't take more than 45 mins to get there. They demanded we got a taxi at 4pm (for a 9.05pm flight)

I said you are all mental.

Well the taxi arrived slightly early and we got there at 4.30pm :-( zzzzz although it was boring I was a smug ****er for the rest of the evening.

Luis Anaconda
06-22-2016, 02:32 PM
as my family insisted Toronto rush hour would be a nightmare and I insisted it wouldn't take more than 45 mins to get there. They demanded we got a taxi at 4pm (for a 9.05pm flight)

I said you are all mental.

Well the taxi arrived slightly early and we got there at 4.30pm :-( zzzzz although it was boring I was a smug ****er for the rest of the evening.
:hehe: Airports are great though, p. They have bars and everything

Pat Vegas
06-22-2016, 02:34 PM

:hehe: The terminal I was in had a these fancy shops too. all the top end designers
'Coming soon'

As most of it was under reconstruction :furious:

Burney
06-22-2016, 02:36 PM

National Express? You mean a coach? Are you ****ing kidding?

What is actually wrong with you, man? :-(

Pat Vegas
06-22-2016, 02:37 PM
National Express? You mean a coach? Are you ****ing kidding?

What is actually wrong with you, man? :-(

Have you seen his car insurance costs!

PSRB
06-22-2016, 02:38 PM

Hmmm, they're crap on the homeward leg though and Turin airport is awful

Monty92
06-22-2016, 02:51 PM

3 hours before a short-haul? **** that. 1 hour 30 max

Monty92
06-22-2016, 02:52 PM
:hehe: 2 hours the wrong way. Where did you end up Foggia? Unless you were heading North if you had driven a few mins longer you would have found a different beach.

I've no idea. My friend who ****ing grew up in Naples was driving. I have no clue how he ****ed up so badly.

Pat Vegas
06-22-2016, 02:53 PM
I've no idea. My friend who ****ing grew up in Naples was driving. I have no clue how he ****ed up so badly.

Did he make fun of you for wearing your seatbelt?

They always do to me :-(

SWv2
06-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Why were you staying with an Italian family?

Luis Anaconda
06-22-2016, 02:57 PM
3 hours before a short-haul? **** that. 1 hour 30 max

And how did that work out for you?

Pat Vegas
06-22-2016, 03:04 PM

he's taken this Brexit stuff too seriously.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 03:13 PM

For the cheese balls, duh

Sir C
06-22-2016, 03:16 PM

Naples? You went to Naples?

**** me. If you want to experience the third world in all its grubby glory, you have the whole of sub-Saharan Africa from which to choose.

Naples? **** me.

SWv2
06-22-2016, 03:20 PM
For the cheese balls, duh

These ones?

Monty92
06-22-2016, 03:24 PM

**** me. If you want to experience the third world in all its grubby glory, you have the whole of sub-Saharan Africa from which to choose.

Naples? **** me.

Yeah but where else can you see real life, carbonised, 2,000-year-old corpses still cowering in the actual position in which they burnt to death? :cloud9:

I must say, I was surprised to learn that we actually bombed Pompeii during WW2. That's a bit like punching a down syndromic in the face, just for a laugh, isn't it?

Monty92
06-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Did he make fun of you for wearing your seatbelt?

They always do to me :-(

Yes he did! :hehe:

Monty92
06-22-2016, 03:32 PM

My mate is from there.

I will never do it again.

Ears are alight
06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah but where else can you see real life, carbonised, 2,000-year-old corpses still cowering in the actual position in which they burnt to death? :cloud9:

I must say, I was surprised to learn that we actually bombed Pompeii during WW2. That's a bit like punching a down syndromic in the face, just for a laugh, isn't it?

Clearly one goes to Sorrento, or Ravello. And does a day trip to Pompeii.

SWv2
06-22-2016, 03:59 PM
My mate is from there.

I will never do it again.

I genuinely thought you did not have any mates, allied to both you being a monumental bell-end but also your open hatred for fellow man.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 04:04 PM
I genuinely thought you did not have any mates, allied to both you being a monumental bell-end but also your open hatred for fellow man.

Heeeeyyyyy, misanthropes can have friends too. I have several real people who I rub along with fine.

Anyway, with all your "chinning" it's a wonder you have any.

redgunamo
06-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Naples? **** me.

Same difference really.

Sir C
06-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Same difference really.

Except Africa's less dangerous. The DRC's a walk in the park compared to Naples.

redgunamo
06-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Except Africa's less dangerous. The DRC's a walk in the park compared to Naples.

Fair point.

Ash
06-22-2016, 06:04 PM

Nice Art Deco exterior, though. I used to get a coach to Lyon from there quite often when visiting my ex in St Etienne. A long, long time ago.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Nice Art Deco exterior, though. I used to get a coach to Lyon from there quite often when visiting my ex in St Etienne. A long, long time ago.

Sarah Cracknell?

Ash
06-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Sarah Cracknell?

I remember her explaining how they got their deal by virtue of the fact that they were friends with the bloke who owned the record company. Summed it all up.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-22-2016, 09:04 PM

A chance to come on Awimb and do a Monty, priceless!

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 09:42 PM
A chance to come on Awimb and do a Monty, priceless!

Granted, it's no accidentally entering into sexy congress with a HeShe

Luis Anaconda
06-23-2016, 08:13 AM

Yes - nice building, just ruined inside