PDA

View Full Version : Well. This looks fun.

Sir C
06-22-2016, 10:35 AM
I hope the blokes running the drumming workshops and the fire poi drown.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2016/jun/22/mud-at-glastonbury-festival-in-pictures

Burney
06-22-2016, 10:37 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/music/gallery/2016/jun/22/mud-at-glastonbury-festival-in-pictures

My daughter's going to get cholera, isn't she? :-(

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 10:38 AM

Bloody hell, your daughter is going to Glastonbury? That makes me feel old, I cant imagine how it makes you feel.

Sir C
06-22-2016, 10:39 AM

I hate it that she's going, it stops me from fully revelling in the schadenfreude when I see all those hippes suffering :-(

Burney
06-22-2016, 10:39 AM
Bloody hell, your daughter is going to Glastonbury? That makes me feel old, I cant imagine how it makes you feel.

Yup. I'm ancient.

Burney
06-22-2016, 10:41 AM
I hate it that she's going, it stops me from fully revelling in the schadenfreude when I see all those hippes suffering :-(

You hate it? Think how i feel! I hate those ****ers more than you do. I now can't just laugh at horrible young people suffering misery and trenchfoot, safe in the knowledge that the silly ****ers deserve it. I have to care. :cry:

PSRB
06-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Nope, struggling to see the point. Used to enjoy Bestival on IOW when it was quite a small event and the weather was always glorious but Glastonbury has never appealed

Burney
06-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Nope, struggling to see the point. Used to enjoy Bestival on IOW when it was quite a small event and the weather was always glorious but Glastonbury has never appealed

Me neither, but they're mad for it these days, the yoot. We're just old. :-(

SWv2
06-22-2016, 10:48 AM
It’s an accepted part of the British and Irish festival experience. Man. One has to simply adopt that most British of intangibles in the stiff upper lip, man the **** up and get on with it the best you can.

If you want to avoid such shenanigans then **** off to Primavera or the likes.

Having been at Glastonbury (Glasto? …. ****s) in such weather I can tell you with absolute certainty that the entire experience if massively ****ing grim, and any person that says different is a liar to both themselves and to mankind.

Agree on the drumming people. Shot before even setting up their tent.

Burney
06-22-2016, 10:51 AM
It’s an accepted part of the British and Irish festival experience. Man. One has to simply adopt that most British of intangibles in the stiff upper lip, man the **** up and get on with it the best you can.

Having been at Glastonbury (Glasto? …. ****s) in such weather I can tell you with absolute certainty that the entire experience if massively ****ing grim, and any person that says different is a liar to both themselves and to mankind.

Yes. Don't understand it myself. There's something oddly masochistic about it. The British love a bit of suffering just so long as they can do it in large crowds and pretend they're having a good time. Weirdos.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 11:02 AM

It used to be genuinely brilliant back in the day, went once in the late 90s/early 2000s and it was very sanitised, dull and corporate. It seems to have been a direction of travel they've continued.

Burney
06-22-2016, 11:04 AM
It used to be genuinely brilliant back in the day, went once in the late 90s/early 2000s and it was very sanitised, dull and corporate. It seems to have been a direction of travel they've continued.

Well yes. Emily Eavis - unlike her dad - is not a hippy and is realising the maximum quantity of cash she can from it, God bless her.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 11:04 AM

It mostly comes down to two things, whether you have somewhere comfortable to flop and whether you can hold a **** in for three days. I was lucky enough to have AAA passes a couple of times so I could even have a pony and a shower. Without those things it was just horrible.

Burney
06-22-2016, 11:06 AM
It mostly comes down to two things, whether you have somewhere comfortable to flop and whether you can hold a **** in for three days. I was lucky enough to have AAA passes a couple of times so I could even have a pony and a shower. Without those things it was just horrible.

Yes. My daughter is staying with the Eavises, so those things should be fine. She can shower and excrete in comfort.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Yes. My daughter is staying with the Eavises, so those things should be fine. She can shower and excrete in comfort.

sweet!_____

SWv2
06-22-2016, 11:18 AM

My experience progressed from 88 or 89 with no tent at all, a rushed plan late one night in a squat in Stamford Hill, to the next year I went actually having a tent to later a VW campervan to my final year in 94 with a full on camper with water etc.

The comfort of later years was undeniably a massive boost, what sleep one was able to get helped massively by actually having something to sleep on, however the fact remains that if it is lashing and the ground is turned to ****e then your entire day and night is a challenge and is not fun.

Conversely and for the sake of balance I have also been when the sun has shone for the duration and it is simply ****ing brilliant.

Then again I was early to mid-20s, as I hurtle at speed towards half a century I am not sure it would appeal as much despite all the modern day facilities on offer.

Burney
06-22-2016, 11:18 AM
sweet!_____

Indeed. They're sort of cousins by marriage (if that's a thing), which means free tickets become available every year.

Wasted on me, of course. You literally couldn't pay me to go to the bloody thing.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 11:24 AM
My experience progressed from 88 or 89 with no tent at all, a rushed plan late one night in a squat in Stamford Hill, to the next year I went actually having a tent to later a VW campervan to my final year in 94 with a full on camper with water etc.

The comfort of later years was undeniably a massive boost, what sleep one was able to get helped massively by actually having something to sleep on, however the fact remains that if it is lashing and the ground is turned to ****e then your entire day and night is a challenge and is not fun.

Conversely and for the sake of balance I have also been when the sun has shone for the duration and it is simply ****ing brilliant.

Then again I was early to mid-20s, as I hurtle at speed towards half a century I am not sure it would appeal as much despite all the modern day facilities on offer.

I think it was 94 where the sun shone the whole time, which was pretty ace. I accidentally pitched my tent in a mystifyingly clear patch close to the centre and awoke the next morning to the dulcet tones of wobble-board nonce Rolf Harris, just yards from the pyramid stage and surrounded by spectators.

Burney
06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
I think it was 94 where the sun shone the whole time, which was pretty ace. I accidentally pitched my tent in a mystifyingly clear patch close to the centre and awoke the next morning to the dulcet tones of wobble-board nonce Rolf Harris, just yards from the pyramid stage and surrounded by spectators.

Ah, the days when we thought Rolf was just a harmless weirdo rather than an active noncer. More innocent times, j. I miss them.

SWv2
06-22-2016, 11:54 AM

1994 of course being the year when Weller played what was and still is the defining Pyramid Stage set of all time.

I am sure you agree.

Rich
06-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Has she made it there yet or is she lost amid the 12 hour tailbacks?

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 01:52 PM
1994 of course being the year when Weller played what was and still is the defining Pyramid Stage set of all time.

I am sure you agree.

I was asleep, mate. I only woke up for the wobble-board weilding cartoon nonce.

Orb and Teenage Fanclub on the Main Stage, wasnt it?

SWv2
06-22-2016, 02:01 PM
I was asleep, mate. I only woke up for the wobble-board weilding cartoon nonce.

Orb and Teenage Fanclub on the Main Stage, wasnt it?

Orb and Fannies the year before I think on what was the NME stage, essentially the second and much better stage. Orb on Saturday, TF on Friday with Suede.

Primal Scream did Screamadelica and the sun shone same night as The Orb, it was quite the perfect ****ed up early summer evening.

The Jorge
06-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Orb and Fannies the year before I think on what was the NME stage, essentially the second and much better stage. Orb on Saturday, TF on Friday with Suede.

Primal Scream did Screamadelica and the sun shone same night as The Orb, it was quite the perfect ****ed up early summer evening.

Strangely it all sort of melts into one homogenous mass nowadays, maybe it's because I was basically this bloke back then.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h6t7BkJg1qd3ucoo1_1280.png