https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CldU1kfUsAUwCeM.jpg

Corporate whore does what he's told by corporations :shrug:

Sir C
06-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Corporate whore does what he's told by corporations :shrug:

:shrug: He's got a family to feed.

SWv2
06-21-2016, 09:36 AM
I wonder if celebrity endorsements such as this really do influence people.

In their world of expertise I know they do, sporting attire for example, footwear a very relevant specific. However a potentially lifestyle changing decision such as the so called Brexit or not to Brexit.

I would be more put off by the cocks on either side as opposed to people willing me to be in their gang.

Bob Geldof for example. What a super ****.

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Indeed. Talking of which, I vertically rotisseried a chicken last night. It was highly succulent - much better than when stuck in an oven. You do it parson's nose up, so all the juices that usually collect in the cavity seem to be retained in the flesh. Also, being spit-roasted, it's evenly browned. Very good indeed.

I bought a leg of lamb yesterday, which I', going to bone, cut into slices, marinate for days and then shawarma at the weekend. It's very exciting :cloud9:

Sir C
06-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Indeed. Talking of which, I vertically rotisseried a chicken last night. It was highly succulent - much better than when stuck in an oven. You do it parson's nose up, so all the juices that usually collect in the cavity seem to be retained in the flesh. Also, being spit-roasted, it's evenly browned. Very good indeed.

I bought a leg of lamb yesterday, which I', going to bone, cut into slices, marinate for days and then shawarma at the weekend. It's very exciting :cloud9:

How is it to clean? I doubt you can dump the whole thing in the dishwasher?

Billy Goat Sverige
06-21-2016, 09:38 AM

In their world of expertise I know they do, sporting attire for example, footwear a very relevant specific. However a potentially lifestyle changing decision such as the so called Brexit or not to Brexit.

I would be more put off by the cocks on either side as opposed to people willing me to be in their gang.

In this case though i imagine the sort of people who it might influence are firmly in the brexit camp and won't be swayed by him. Becks himself would probably be voting leave were he not a celebrity puppet.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 09:39 AM

So many Fnaaars

http://i.stack.imgur.com/X9pmem.png

Sir C
06-21-2016, 09:40 AM

Propaganda campaigns work by cumulative effect, I think, not a single image. When lots and lots of people, some of whom you may admire, tell you the same thing, your view of the matter may be altered - possibly even sub-conciously.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 09:40 AM
In this case though i imagine the sort of people who it might influence are firmly in the brexit camp and won't be swayed by him. Becks himself would probably be voting leave were he not a celebrity puppet.

That's harsh, just because he's thick and from essex it doesnt mean he'd vote leave.

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:41 AM
How is it to clean? I doubt you can dump the whole thing in the dishwasher?

There's the spit bit, clamps and the various attachments, which all come off and go in the shwasher, while the drip tray catches all the fat and whatnot and that also comes out. The inside just needs a quick wipe and it's all good. Mind you, something super fatty like a dick might be an issue.

Sir C
06-21-2016, 09:41 AM

Also, leg? Won't it need the fat of shoulder?

Billy Goat Sverige
06-21-2016, 09:42 AM
That's harsh, just because he's thick and from essex it doesnt mean he'd vote leave.

Will there be voting breakdowns released for each region? I reckon Essex will be something like 70% leave.

Sir C
06-21-2016, 09:42 AM
There's the spit bit, clamps and the various attachments, which all come off and go in the shwasher, while the drip tray catches all the fat and whatnot and that also comes out. The inside just needs a quick wipe and it's all good. Mind you, something super fatty like a dick might be an issue.

:yikes: What's happened to you, man?

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:43 AM

Ah, it is amusing to hear you parroting the lines Goldman Sachs want you to, j. :hehe:

I'll remember this next time you rail against 'the bankers'.

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:44 AM
:yikes: What's happened to you, man?

****. 'Duck'. DUCK.

A minor slip of the finger. Nothing significant to it.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Will there be voting breakdowns released for each region? I reckon Essex will be something like 70% leave.

I'm not sure tbh, that level of detail has been really lacking. I'm assuming it's on total votes cast rather than wards, regions etc.

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Also, leg? Won't it need the fat of shoulder?

I'm going to put a lump of fat on top to baste it as it cooks.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Ah, it is amusing to hear you parroting the lines Goldman Sachs want you to, j. :hehe:

I'll remember this next time you rail against 'the bankers'.

I make my own decisions. I think that's allowed isnt it?

It was quite lovely to hear Michael Gove on the radio this morning talking about how the banks "have rigged society to keep the elites rich and the poor people poor", who knew he was such a champion of the poor and downtrodden?

SWv2
06-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure tbh, that level of detail has been really lacking. I'm assuming it's on total votes cast rather than wards, regions etc.

It's a simple yes/no however the votes are all counted / collated at local levels so figures and ultimately analysis at this level will be both available and extremely tedious.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 09:51 AM
It's a simple yes/no however the votes are all counted / collated at local levels so figures and ultimately analysis at this level will be both available and extremely tedious.

Like your mum then

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I make my own decisions. I think that's allowed isnt it?

It was quite lovely to hear Michael Gove on the radio this morning talking about how the banks "have rigged society to keep the elites rich and the poor people poor", who knew he was such a champion of the poor and downtrodden?

Of course. I just find it deliciously ironic to hear you so vehemently supporting an avowedly neoliberal, bank-centric, corporatist and technocratic entity like the EU and decrying anyone who dares to disagree as thick and racist. :hehe:

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Of course. I just find it deliciously ironic to hear you so vehemently supporting an avowedly neoliberal, bank-centric, corporatist and technocratic entity like the EU and decrying anyone who dares to disagree as thick and racist. :hehe:

I didnt say racist, are you saying that essex is just another word for racism, b? My word

Billy Goat Sverige
06-21-2016, 09:58 AM
I didnt say racist, are you saying that essex is just another word for racism, b? My word

Although large parts of Essex is now full of east londoners who moved out there because of all the "pakis". So it's not that far from the truth :hehe: They're probably annoyed by all the africans and eastern europeans in essex now but the channel is not a viable option.

Burney
06-21-2016, 09:59 AM

Oh, I didn't mean in this instance, but it's hardly as if you've been shy of tarring the Leave campaign with the racism brush previously, is it?

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Oh, I didn't mean in this instance, but it's hardly as if you've been shy of tarring the Leave campaign with the racism brush previously, is it?

They dont need any help with tarbrushes though, do they?

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/1013702/stream_img.jpg

Burney
06-21-2016, 10:01 AM

Sure. Almost as ironic as you making it clear that you don't give a **** and will vote to support those self-same banks.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Sure. Almost as ironic as you making it clear that you don't give a **** and will vote to support those self-same banks.

I'm not voting to support the banks, I'm voting to support human rights and workers rights.

SWv2
06-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Like your mum then

My mum is dead J however I am quite sure she would have voted to remain on the simple but extremely thorny and completely unaddressed issue of renewed border controls within Ireland.

Burney
06-21-2016, 10:08 AM
I'm not voting to support the banks, I'm voting to support human rights and workers rights.

Riiiight. Those would be the workers' rights and human rights where British law in many instances currently actually exceeds EU requirements, would it?

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 10:12 AM
My mum is dead J however I am quite sure she would have voted to remain on the simple but extremely thorny and completely unaddressed issue of renewed border controls within Ireland.

I'm sorry, SW. If you want a free shot back at me my da is dead too.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Riiiight. Those would be the workers' rights and human rights where British law in many instances currently actually exceeds EU requirements, would it?

The one that the more swivel-eyed of the blue batallions are currently trying to scrap, you mean?

SWv2
06-21-2016, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry, SW. If you want a free shot back at me my da is dead too.

I would never stoop so low as I see the loss of a family member to be an extremely personal and sometimes sensitive matter.

To make a joke, no matter how innocent in nature, could spectacularly backfire and cause offence which is not how I roll.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 10:22 AM
I would never stoop so low as I see the loss of a family member to be an extremely personal and sometimes sensitive matter.

To make a joke, no matter how innocent in nature, could spectacularly backfire and cause offence which is not how I roll.

Of course, of course. Though you have to admit it was a tap in.

7sisters
06-21-2016, 10:23 AM

He's also wealthy enough to erect a two mile electric fence, intersected with high power rifle snipers in watch towers, in the event that we're over run by a sea of thieving romany scum types.

eastgermanautos
06-21-2016, 10:49 AM
He's also wealthy enough to erect a two mile electric fence, intersected with high power rifle snipers in watch towers, in the event that we're over run by a sea of thieving romany scum types.

When I visited Britain a few months ago I was struck by how few Mexicans there were. I lamented this, because I felt that 'Mex' and 'Brex' could be made to rhyme. Some sort of racist jingle, no?

Burney
06-21-2016, 10:54 AM
When I visited Britain a few months ago I was struck by how few Mexicans there were. I lamented this, because I felt that 'Mex' and 'Brex' could be made to rhyme. Some sort of racist jingle, no?

Fortunately, ega, in our imperial peregrinations we went to many places and thus attracted many subsequent immigrants from many nations, but we were at least sensible enough to give Mexico a wide berth.

eastgermanautos
06-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Fortunately, ega, in our imperial peregrinations we went to many places and thus attracted many subsequent immigrants from many nations, but we were at least sensible enough to give Mexico a wide berth.

Very sensible. Pretty damn dicey place, Mexico. They'll kill you. And then they'll go to work on you!

Burney
06-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Very sensible. Pretty damn dicey place, Mexico. They'll kill you. And then they'll go to work on you!

Yes. They seem to be forever cutting people's heads off. Odd lot, really. Laid back to the point of coma most of the time, but happy to cut your head off the rest.

Ash
06-21-2016, 11:29 AM

But the EU has demanded that accession states abolish collective bargaining, driving down wages. :shrug: Workers rights?

Paid holiday originates from the struggle of the labour movement, not the paternal wisdom of the EU, the UK minimum wage comes from British law, not EU, and there are countless examples of social equality laws that predate the EU.

And surely as human rights go, democracy has to be right up there at the top.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 11:41 AM
But the EU has demanded that accession states abolish collective bargaining, driving down wages. :shrug: Workers rights?

Paid holiday originates from the struggle of the labour movement, not the paternal wisdom of the EU, the UK minimum wage comes from British law, not EU, and there are countless examples of social equality laws that predate the EU.

Well both the EU and the UK are imperfect pseudodeomcratic systems, arent they? I suppose you're happy with a government which includes 26 peers, an upper chamber with hereditary peerages and a hereditary head of state.

Burney
06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Well both the EU and the UK are imperfect pseudodeomcratic systems, arent they? I suppose you're happy with a government which includes 26 peers, an upper chamber with hereditary peerages and a hereditary head of state.

:rolleyes: Same old **** distraction technique when confronted with the very real shortcomings of the EU's supposed 'democracy'.

As has been explained to you before, in our system the elected chamber has de facto primacy. The Lords are subordinate, while the Monarch has executive power in name only. By contrast, the EU's sole policy-making body - the Commission - is simply an unelected executive answerable to no-one, while the EU Parliament has been created specifically to be too diverse and disparate to oppose it in any meaningful sense.

In other words, the comparison is as flawed and facile as it was the last time you trotted it out. :shrug:

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 11:51 AM
:rolleyes: Same old **** distraction technique when confronted with the very real shortcomings of the EU's supposed 'democracy'.

As has been explained to you before, in our system the elected chamber has de facto primacy. The Lords are subordinate, while the Monarch has executive power in name only. By contrast, the EU's sole policy-making body - the Commission - is simply an unelected executive answerable to no-one, while the EU Parliament has been created specifically to be too diverse and disparate to oppose it in any meaningful sense.

In other words, the comparison is as flawed and facile as it was the last time you trotted it out. :shrug:

Well yes, apart from our head of state can veto any proposed law whenever they want and the EU parliament can reject or amend any laws. Neither are true democracies.

Burney
06-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Well yes, apart from our head of state can veto any proposed law whenever they want and the EU parliament can reject or amend any laws. Neither are true democracies.

Right. And when did our Head of State last veto a law? It's a purely theoretical capability that actually exists as a last resort against a government with a strong majority that might seek to make itself a tyranny.

The point is that both powers are almost entirely theoretical in nature. The EU Parliament cannot make law and very rarely blocks the wishes of the Commission. Why? Because it's designed not to get in the way.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Right. And when did our Head of State last veto a law? It's a purely theoretical capability that actually exists as a last resort against a government with a strong majority that might seek to make itself a tyranny.

The point is that both powers are almost entirely theoretical in nature. The EU Parliament cannot make law and very rarely blocks the wishes of the Commission. Why? Because it's designed not to get in the way.

These bills all required Royal Consent, and the lack of transparency around our government means we only find out years later. Not. A. Democracy.

The Queen

Agriculture (miscellaneous provisions) bill 1962

Housing Act 1996

Rating (Valuation Act) 1999

Military actions against Iraq (parliamentary approval bill) 1999 – consent not signified

Pollution prevention and control bill (1999)

High hedges bills 2000/01 and 2002/03

European Union bill 2004

Civil Partnership Act 2004

Higher Education Act 2004

National Insurance Contributions and Statutory Payments Act 2004

Identity cards bill 2004-06

Work and families bill 2005-06

Commons bill 2006

Animal Welfare Act 2006

Charities Act 2006

Child maintenance and other payments bill (2006/07)

Rating (Empty Properties) Act 2007

Courts, Tribunals and Enforcement Act 2007

Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007

Fixed term parliaments bill (2010-12 session)

Prince Charles

Conveyancing and Feudal Reform (Scotland) Act 1970

Land Registration (Scotland Act) 1979

Pilotage bill 1987

Merchant Shipping and Maritime Security Act 1997

House of Lords Act 1999

Gambling bill 2004-05

Road Safety bill 2004-05

Natural environment and rural communities bill 2005-06

London Olympics bill 2005-06

Commons bill 2006

Charities Act 2006

Housing and regeneration bill 2007-08

Energy bill 2007-08

Planning bill 2007-08

Co-operative and community benefit societies and credit unions bill 2008-09

Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction (Lords) 2008-09

Marine and Coastal Access (Lords) 2008-09

Coroners and justice bill 2008-09

Marine navigation aids bill 2009-2010

Wreck Removal Convention Act 2010-12

Ash
06-21-2016, 12:23 PM

It's still more democratic than the EU. But we've been round that track over and over. These rights you like have mainly been achieved within that system, and not granted by the EU, which, I repeat, have insisted on abolishing collective bargaining to accession states.

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 12:28 PM
It's still more democratic than the EU. But we've been round that track over and over. These rights you like have mainly been achieved within that system, and not granted by the EU, which, I repeat, have insisted on abolishing collective bargaining to accession states.

No but they've been enshrined by the EU, properly, in a constitution, which is something we've never actually managed. Mostly because it's much easier to bend fudgy, unclear and contradictory rules.

See royal consent stuff below for more info

Burney
06-21-2016, 01:27 PM
These bills all required Royal Consent, and the lack of transparency around our government means we only find out years later. Not. A. Democracy.

The Queen

Agriculture (miscellaneous provisions) bill 1962

Housing Act 1996

Rating (Valuation Act) 1999

Military actions against Iraq (parliamentary approval bill) 1999 – consent not signified

Pollution prevention and control bill (1999)

High hedges bills 2000/01 and 2002/03

European Union bill 2004

Civil Partnership Act 2004

Higher Education Act 2004

National Insurance Contributions and Statutory Payments Act 2004

Identity cards bill 2004-06

Work and families bill 2005-06

Commons bill 2006

Animal Welfare Act 2006

Charities Act 2006

Child maintenance and other payments bill (2006/07)

Rating (Empty Properties) Act 2007

Courts, Tribunals and Enforcement Act 2007

Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007

Fixed term parliaments bill (2010-12 session)

Prince Charles

Conveyancing and Feudal Reform (Scotland) Act 1970

Land Registration (Scotland Act) 1979

Pilotage bill 1987

Merchant Shipping and Maritime Security Act 1997

House of Lords Act 1999

Gambling bill 2004-05

Road Safety bill 2004-05

Natural environment and rural communities bill 2005-06

London Olympics bill 2005-06

Commons bill 2006

Charities Act 2006

Housing and regeneration bill 2007-08

Energy bill 2007-08

Planning bill 2007-08

Co-operative and community benefit societies and credit unions bill 2008-09

Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction (Lords) 2008-09

Marine and Coastal Access (Lords) 2008-09

Coroners and justice bill 2008-09

Marine navigation aids bill 2009-2010

Wreck Removal Convention Act 2010-12

It's a nice try, j, but the fact is that the sovereign has not refused to consent to any bill affecting crown interests unless advised to do so by cabinet. In other words, the idea that she is simply wielding executive power with no mandate is entirely false. Funny how that's the impression you've tried to give though, eh?

The Jorge
06-21-2016, 01:36 PM
It's a nice try, j, but the fact is that the sovereign has not refused to consent to any bill affecting crown interests unless advised to do so by cabinet. In other words, the idea that she is simply wielding executive power with no mandate is entirely false. Funny how that's the impression you've tried to give though, eh?

The point is we wouldnt know, we didnt know that her or Charles exercised their rights to fo those until 50 years later in some cases.

Burney
06-21-2016, 01:46 PM
The point is we wouldnt know, we didnt know that her or Charles exercised their rights to fo those until 50 years later in some cases.

What? As opposed to the entirely transparent and accountable actions of the EU Commission, you mean? :hehe:

When will you grasp that pointing to flaws in our democratic system (and all democracies have 'em, btw - don't kid yourself), doesn't magically make the EU's fundamental lack of a democratic or accountable basis OK? You can whatabout as much as you like, but this country has a democratic system that means that those who create our laws are ultimately accountable to the electorate. The EU Commission has no such basis and is therefore not democratic in any sense.

redgunamo
06-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Yes, the EU isn't even that popular in Europe, as I understand it. It's just that nobody seems to have the means to do anything about it.

Also, and it's extremely difficult to get this point over to Brits and Yanks, in foreign, democracy simply isn't the cornerstone of human rights we take it for. It just *isn't*.