PDA

View Full Version : couple of anomalies from the EU debate..

7sisters
06-09-2016, 11:27 AM
The 350 mil surely can't be regarded as a fixed cost ? Wouldn't that be dependant in future years on the state of our own economy. We grow, we pay more in, we shrink, we pay less, type thing.
If the economy does shrink by exiting then the 350 would presumably be a far lower value in real terms and may not represent a saving at all...
Secondly, if the population growth to 80m within 10 years is to be believed, with all of the corresponding pressures/costs associated with an ageing population, then it isn't much of an argument to claim that we need lots of immigrants to help service the expansion, as presumably, the population explosion will be largely attributed to those very same immigrants, who, in turn, will also grow old and require the same levels of support.. :shrug:

The Jorge
06-09-2016, 12:25 PM
The 350 mil surely can't be regarded as a fixed cost ? Wouldn't that be dependant in future years on the state of our own economy. We grow, we pay more in, we shrink, we pay less, type thing.
If the economy does shrink by exiting then the 350 would presumably be a far lower value in real terms and may not represent a saving at all...
Secondly, if the population growth to 80m within 10 years is to be believed, with all of the corresponding pressures/costs associated with an ageing population, then it isn't much of an argument to claim that we need lots of immigrants to help service the expansion, as presumably, the population explosion will be largely attributed to those very same immigrants, who, in turn, will also grow old and require the same levels of support.. :shrug:

Isnt it clearly just a flat out lie? I mean even the man funding Leave.eu has called that figure a lie. I cant work out whether that's the bigger lie or if it's the won where they're promising to spend £100m a week on the NHS.

7sisters
06-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Isnt it clearly just a flat out lie? I mean even the man funding Leave.eu has called that figure a lie. I cant work out whether that's the bigger lie or if it's the won where they're promising to spend £100m a week on the NHS.

It's just a meaningless number.. It's pretty much a given that the economy will shrink in the event we leave.
Let's see how they reconcile that supposed 350 saving against an inflated balance of payments deficit and potential migration and divestment of all those businesses..

The Jorge
06-09-2016, 12:55 PM
It's just a meaningless number.. It's pretty much a given that the economy will shrink in the event we leave.
Let's see how they reconcile that supposed 350 saving against an inflated balance of payments deficit and potential migration and divestment of all those businesses..

You could say that about any madey uppy number. Though it's a bit more than a meaningless number when it's splashed across every bit of campaign literature in 72pt text and used as a justification for people to make a massively important decision.

Pokster
06-09-2016, 12:58 PM

It's a given that the economy won't grow as fast, it is far from a given that it will shrink

Donald
06-09-2016, 01:10 PM

There are more than enough unemployed to take up any slack on filling vacancies without the added burdon of migrants. Housing, Schools and the NHS are already under immense strain without adding to it. The Brexit campaigners are not talking about halting immigration, rather that we allow in what is required within a managed system. Something utterly out of control right now. The Remain camp peddle far more lies un fearmongering than Brexit.

In the event of a Brexit I see a short period of Sterling devaluation. No job losses.

7sisters
06-09-2016, 01:32 PM
There are more than enough unemployed to take up any slack on filling vacancies without the added burdon of migrants. Housing, Schools and the NHS are already under immense strain without adding to it. The Brexit campaigners are not talking about halting immigration, rather that we allow in what is required within a managed system. Something utterly out of control right now. The Remain camp peddle far more lies un fearmongering than Brexit.

In the event of a Brexit I see a short period of Sterling devaluation. No job losses.

I'm on the fence about the impact upon the economy but it should also be noted that the first generation of any migrants probably won't be contributing a lifetime of NI and taxation to the koffers. State support for the elderly would be at a constant, therefore this would be an additional cost to the country.

The Jorge
06-09-2016, 01:41 PM

You have to wonder why health and scools are under so much pressure though, dont you? Could it be because the government have been massively restructuring and underfunding them or is it because of migrants? It's just that the LSE seem to think that migrants dont cause undue strain on those services.

redgunamo
06-09-2016, 01:57 PM
You have to wonder why health and scools are under so much pressure though, dont you? Could it be because the government have been massively restructuring and underfunding them or is it because of migrants? It's just that the LSE seem to think that migrants dont cause undue strain on those services.

I can assure you I never put any undue strain on my school.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Cos that is clearly working right now. We need people to come into the country because the unemployed are lazy and won't do the jobs that the immigrant population do. If we change this, one of two things will happen

1) Those jobs won't get done
2) People will want more money to do them making costs increase

Brexit has not come up one single legitimate reason why we should leave. It's all a load of hot air and guess work.

Snin
06-09-2016, 08:19 PM
189 189 makes me think of one thing