PDA

View Full Version : LA, did you see that the owner of Witanhurst also owns the 5 storey £51m penthouse

Ash
06-02-2016, 02:30 PM
at St George Wharf, Vauxhall?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/24/revealed-foreign-buyers-own-two-thirds-of-tower-st-george-wharf-london

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 02:36 PM
at St George Wharf, Vauxhall?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/24/revealed-foreign-buyers-own-two-thirds-of-tower-st-george-wharf-london
Good old Andrei - I bet he pops into the Gatehouse* every now and then for a beer and burger deal

*It's not actually a Wetherspoons anymore is it? Just realised I have only been in Highgate for a couple of hours over the past 12 months :yikes:

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Good old Andrei - I bet he pops into the Gatehouse* every now and then for a beer and burger deal

*It's not actually a Wetherspoons anymore is it? Just realised I have only been in Highgate for a couple of hours over the past 12 months :yikes:

Not a Wetherspoons? Sad seens, I met my ex in there*

*and consumated the relationship too

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Not a Wetherspoons? Sad seens, I met my ex in there*

*and consumated the relationship too
IT DOESN'T EVEN DO A BURGER ANYMORE J LET ALONE A DEAL *******S

http://thegatehousen6.com

ps you saucy devil

Ash
06-02-2016, 02:44 PM

Sad seens when you can't get a ham egg 'n chips and a cheap pint in Highgate. :-( The Zizi has closed as well, btw. Not that I ever went in there.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Sad seens when you can't get a ham egg 'n chips and a cheap pint in Highgate. :-( The Zizi has closed as well, btw. Not that I ever went in there.

What's replaced that? I went there once - it was all right

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 02:54 PM

ps you saucy devil

Mind you - it does show the football

Monty92
06-02-2016, 02:56 PM

ps you saucy devil

The new owner talks a good game, to be fair:

Nick Pring, the company’s co-founder, said: “We are not going to make a lot of changes to the building. We love its village feel and the wood panelling. The main difference will be the food offer. We’ll be bringing in new chefs and looking at a gastropub offer. The prices will be higher – a Sunday roast will be around the £15 mark – but the quality will improve. It will be a completely different food offer to what Wetherspoons do.”

He said the Upstairs At The Gatehouse theatre would continue above the bar, and that the pub would not see a change of name.

“I know that some people hear the word gastropub and think, oh it must be exclusive,” said Mr Pring. “But it’s not like that. It’s not going to be poncey. We are pub people and there will be people who will come in and just have a drink, and that’s fine.”

Mr Pring added: “It will be a little more expensive, but the quality will be there. We’ve got the rent to pay and by bringing in talented chefs we have to pay more.”

He said the twin offer of good food and a theatre upstairs would also help the pub become a “destination venue”, adding: “I don’t want to make assumptions but I’m not sure the theatregoers come for the Wetherspoons food. I’m sure they will welcome the chance to have a nice meal downstairs. It won’t be a pub knocking out £2.99 breakfasts.”

Ash
06-02-2016, 02:57 PM
What's replaced that? I went there once - it was all right

Nothing yet. Still a blank canvas.

Monty92
06-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Nothing yet. Still a blank canvas.

It will be another Italian (with a roof terrace, if the owners get their way)

Ash
06-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Yes, what Highgate desperately needed is ANOTHER poncey gastropub. The spoonies 2.99 brekky is a wonderful thing, imo.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Nick Pring, the company’s co-founder, said: “We are not going to make a lot of changes to the building. We love its village feel and the wood panelling. The main difference will be the food offer. We’ll be bringing in new chefs and looking at a gastropub offer. The prices will be higher – a Sunday roast will be around the £15 mark – but the quality will improve. It will be a completely different food offer to what Wetherspoons do.”

He said the Upstairs At The Gatehouse theatre would continue above the bar, and that the pub would not see a change of name.

“I know that some people hear the word gastropub and think, oh it must be exclusive,” said Mr Pring. “But it’s not like that. It’s not going to be poncey. We are pub people and there will be people who will come in and just have a drink, and that’s fine.”

Mr Pring added: “It will be a little more expensive, but the quality will be there. We’ve got the rent to pay and by bringing in talented chefs we have to pay more.”

He said the twin offer of good food and a theatre upstairs would also help the pub become a “destination venue”, adding: “I don’t want to make assumptions but I’m not sure the theatregoers come for the Wetherspoons food. I’m sure they will welcome the chance to have a nice meal downstairs. It won’t be a pub knocking out £2.99 breakfasts.”

Fairplay - that is refreshing to read. Nothing worse than a "pub" where you are made uncomfortable going in and just having a pint. The Angel gets it right, the Red Lion and Sun less so I would say

redgunamo
06-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Fairplay - that is refreshing to read. Nothing worse than a "pub" where you are made uncomfortable going in and just having a pint. The Angel gets it right, the Red Lion and Sun less so I would say

Yeah, but he says it's not going to be poncey :-(

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 03:04 PM

I had no idea you moved to Basically Highgate

Monty92
06-02-2016, 03:07 PM

I think the Flask gets that balance right, too, and not just because of the beer garden.

Though I’ve not been in since our landlord friends departed for pastures new.

Monty92
06-02-2016, 03:08 PM
I had no idea you moved to Basically Highgate

Basically Haringay, according to my council tax bills.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 03:11 PM
I think the Flask gets that balance right, too, and not just because of the beer garden.

Though I’ve not been in since our landlord friends departed for pastures new.

Yes - you're right. God this thread is making me miss Highgate :(

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Yes, what Highgate desperately needed is ANOTHER poncey gastropub. The spoonies 2.99 brekky is a wonderful thing, imo.

Sad but presumably Wetherspoons wanted to sell - not like it is the sort of company to be pushed around

Ash
06-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Sad but presumably Wetherspoons wanted to sell - not like it is the sort of company to be pushed around

There's still the Whittington at the bottom of the hill for a cheap pint and simple grub. Did I mention that the Lion is a Starbucks now?

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 04:00 PM
There's still the Whittington at the bottom of the hill for a cheap pint and simple grub. Did I mention that the Lion is a Starbucks now?

What about the Flask? I always liked the flask.

Similar reasons to the gatehouse but more about the benches outside.

Ash
06-02-2016, 04:03 PM
What about the Flask? I always liked the flask.

Similar reasons to the gatehouse but more about the benches outside.

What, you ****ed some girl on the benches outside? Gone up it's arse a bit, in the last couple of years. Though it might improve now Monty's landlord chums have ****ed off. (see above)