PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought Carla Lane was going to slip into oblivion without anyone

Burney
06-02-2016, 11:53 AM
pretending she was anything other than ****... :-(

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/01/carla-lane-funny-women-norm-1980s

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 11:55 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/01/carla-lane-funny-women-norm-1980s

Butterflies was actually rather good

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Woman, scouser, lefty. Lets face it she always had an uphill battle to be accepted into your heart.

Still got that weird Nerys Hughes thing though.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Woman, scouser, lefty. Lets face it she always had an uphill battle to be accepted into your heart.

Still got that weird Nerys Hughes thing though.

**** me that is so wrong, j

me too

IUFG
06-02-2016, 12:03 PM
I hate Nerys Hughes (from the heart).

God! Those Scousers will have black arm bands on again at the start of the season over this one..

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:04 PM

NO! Like all her writing, it was just solipsistic, cod-philosophical whimsical witterings by ****s you didn't care about with never a ****ing laugh to be had. Carla Lane's writing was an appalling crime perpetrated on the British people by the BBC at a time when we had only three channels and thus virtually no ****ing choice.

The cancellation of 'Bread' was greeted like the fall of the Berlin Wall in my house, I can tell you.

Sir C
06-02-2016, 12:05 PM

There was whimsy :-(

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 12:05 PM
NO! Like all her writing, it was just solipsistic, cod-philosophical whimsical witterings by ****s you didn't care about with never a ****ing laugh to be had. Carla Lane's writing was an appalling crime perpetrated on the British people by the BBC at a time when we had only three channels and thus virtually no ****ing choice.

The cancellation of 'Bread' was greeted like the fall of the Berlin Wall in my house, I can tell you.

Would you say it was a formative part of your absolute venal hatred for scousers?

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Would you say it was a formative part of your absolute venal hatred for scousers?

Partly, yes. But the 70s and early 80s were basically a ****ing love-in with that ****ing city. Mrs T was the only one with the right idea about those ****s.

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:13 PM
There was whimsy :-(

Whimsy wasn't even the worst of it. There were never any laughs. None. Not once.

How does someone with no apparent sense of humour carve out a successful career as a comedy writer? How?

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Overreact much? It wasn't too your taste but there were definitely laughs. Attempting to paint it and her as part of a BBC scandal is rather demented tbh

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Whimsy wasn't even the worst of it. There were never any laughs. None. Not once.

How does someone with no apparent sense of humour carve out a successful career as a comedy writer? How?

It was the 80s, we had **** like The Good Life, Sorry, Never The Twain and May to December.

Essentially you just needed a whiff of Donald Sindon or that ****er with the hampstery cheeks and you were golden, two series at least.

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Partly, yes. But the 70s and early 80s were basically a ****ing love-in with that ****ing city. Mrs T was the only one with the right idea about those ****s.

God, yes, thank god she laid waste to their economy and rubbed salt into the wound by blaming Hillsborough on their own fans.

That showed the chippy little ****ers who's boss.

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Overreact much? It wasn't too your taste but there were definitely laughs. Attempting to paint it and her as part of a BBC scandal is rather demented tbh

Look, I can't help it if you have the comedic tastes of a post-menopausal woman, la. All I can tell you is that Carla Lane was never funny. If she had been, her stuff would still get repeated today. It hasn't stood the test of time at all, I'm afraid.

And I wasn't really trying to paint her as part of a BBC scandal. That was deliberate comedic hyperbole. I do blame them for foisting her on us, though.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 12:18 PM
It was the 80s, we had **** like The Good Life, Sorry, Never The Twain and May to December.

Essentially you just needed a whiff of Donald Sindon or that ****er with the hampstery cheeks and you were golden, two series at least.

Good life was mid seventies and May to December mostly 1990s actually :vulcan:

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:19 PM
God, yes, thank god she laid waste to their economy and rubbed salt into the wound by blaming Hillsborough on their own fans.

That showed the chippy little ****ers who's boss.

Yeah. :hehe: Great, wasn't it? God bless her. :bow:

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Look, I can't help it if you have the comedic tastes of a post-menopausal woman, la. All I can tell you is that Carla Lane was never funny. If she had been, her stuff would still get repeated today. It hasn't stood the test of time at all, I'm afraid.

And I wasn't really trying to paint her as part of a BBC scandal. That was deliberate comedic hyperbole. I do blame them for foisting her on us, though.
I agree that it hasn't stood the test of time but that doesn't necessarily mean her work was never funny. A considerable amount of comedy is of its day :shrug: Bread was ****ing ****, though. We can agree on that

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:21 PM

The Good Life was better than anything Carla Lane ever wrote and I know you're just bringing up Sorry to try and make me angry, so I'm going to overlook that.

Mind you, ITV had some shockers as well. There was a thing with Judi Dench that went on for decades (A Fine Romance?) and literally didn't fulfill the most basic requirements of the term comedy. And there was that ****ing awful thing with John Thaw.

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 12:21 PM

Oh, OK then, Home to Roost and Watching? Are they more decade appropriate for you?

Burney
06-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Oh, OK then, Home to Roost and Watching? Are they more decade appropriate for you?

Watching was clearly Lane-inspired, though (women, scousers, whimsical wittering, etc), so I'm blaming her for that as well.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 12:23 PM

ty j - all I ask for is a bit of accuracy

The Jorge
06-02-2016, 12:24 PM
The Good Life was better than anything Carla Lane ever wrote and I know you're just bringing up Sorry to try and make me angry, so I'm going to overlook that.

Mind you, ITV had some shockers as well. There was a thing with Judi Dench that went on for decades (A Fine Romance?) and literally didn't fulfill the most basic requirements of the term comedy. And there was that ****ing awful thing with John Thaw.

The Good Life was awful, I have a slightly worse reaction to it than Vyvian. Awful, suburban, middle-class ****e.

https://youtu.be/bomygz1Ygkk?t=15

See below for the John Thaw reference.

Luis Anaconda
06-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Yes Michael Williams was in it - amazingly the couple displayed absolutely no chemistry on screen despite being married in real life (and actually being fine actors). It was also written by one of the guys behind the Good Life funnily enough