PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone planning to watch this Versailles thing on telly tonight?

Burney
06-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Lots of rumpo in it, apparently, but I don't know if I can be arsed.

The Jorge
06-01-2016, 02:40 PM

Nah, me neither. Anyway, I've still got the last series of Arrested Development to get through, not to mention Veep.

Live telly is becoming a bit of a thing of the past for me.

Burney
06-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Nah, me neither. Anyway, I've still got the last series of Arrested Development to get through, not to mention Veep.

Me too. In recent months I've done all of Parks & Rec, Vinyl, Making a Murderer, 11.22.63 and God knows what else, so live telly tends to get forgotten. Watched the first series of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on your recommendation. OK, but not actually funny enough for my liking. Too much woman stuff.

Ash
06-01-2016, 02:56 PM

What Versailles thing is that?

The Jorge
06-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Me too. In recent months I've done all of Parks & Rec, Vinyl, Making a Murderer, 11.22.63 and God knows what else, so live telly tends to get forgotten. Watched the first series of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on your recommendation. OK, but not actually funny enough for my liking. Too much woman stuff.

I'm surprised you watched Parks all the way through, though less so that you didnt like Kimmy Schmidt. Whisper it but I think I have a bit of a thing for her. Not a fan of the wonderfully named Tituss Andromedon?

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm surprised you watched Parks all the way through, though less so that you didnt like Kimmy Schmidt. Whisper it but I think I have a bit of a thing for her. Not a fan of the wonderfully named Tituss Andromedon?

He's obviously the best thing in it. My wife likes it more than I do.

Parks & Rec was ace. Although pretty much every second that Ron wasn't on screen was effectively wasted, of course.

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:01 PM
What Versailles thing is that?

Well it's called 'Versailles' and it's a drama series on the BBCs.

It's about Louis XIV and has lots of sex in.

Ash
06-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Ah, thanks. The Ms likes a period drama, and unlike Mon (GoT), Tues (Tunnel, Penny Dreadful), Thurs (Billions) and Fri (Banshee), there is no viewing scheduled for Wednesdays.

The Jorge
06-01-2016, 03:07 PM
He's obviously the best thing in it. My wife likes it more than I do.

Parks & Rec was ace. Although pretty much every second that Ron wasn't on screen was effectively wasted, of course.

Well that means i have to repost the Pyramid of Greatness then. Link below if you all struggle to read it.

https://originaldave77.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/swanson-pyramid-of-greatness-1900x1200.png

https://originaldave77.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/swanson-pyramid-of-greatness-1900x1200.png

Luis Anaconda
06-01-2016, 03:08 PM

Same here, obviously, since live telly can be quite frightening. I do kind of miss the structure of having to watch of having to watch something at a certain time or at least remember to record it. Probably because I am lazy and will just watch countless episodes of Pointless rather than start watching another draining series.

Luis Anaconda
06-01-2016, 03:12 PM

:nod: Bit shocking when the trailer comes up in the middle of the afternoon on Sky Sports De (on the big screen, naturally) - they don't hold back from showing the good bits during the adverts here, I can tell you

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Same here, obviously, since live telly can be quite frightening. I do kind of miss the structure of having to watch of having to watch something at a certain time or at least remember to record it. Probably because I am lazy and will just watch countless episodes of Pointless rather than start watching another draining series.

Yes, although I do find that things pile up in one's planner and that thing you were thinking looked quite interesting has suddenly become that thing that it's simply too daunting to start watching now.

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:13 PM
:nod: Bit shocking when the trailer comes up in the middle of the afternoon on Sky Sports De (on the big screen, naturally) - they don't hold back from showing the good bits during the adverts here, I can tell you

Oh, well I might watch it, in that case.

The Jorge
06-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Yes, although I do find that things pile up in one's planner and that thing you were thinking looked quite interesting has suddenly become that thing that it's simply too daunting to start watching now.

Bizarrely I have that very same block with Breaking Bad, I'm a couple of episodes in but never quite fancy it. Also, I can only watch it when 'er indoors is there, given it's such a classic, apparently.

Monty92
06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Well that means i have to repost the Pyramid of Greatness then. Link below if you all struggle to read it.

I watched an episode of P&R several months back and it didn't grab me at all. What did I miss?

Luis Anaconda
06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Bizarrely I have that very same block with Breaking Bad, I'm a couple of episodes in but never quite fancy it. Also, I can only watch it when 'er indoors is there, given it's such a classic, apparently.

Me too with that one. I feel there is only so much I can commit to. Mind you, I probably still have about 100 DVDs stored in the UK somewhere that I actually bought but never got round to watching

The Jorge
06-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Me too with that one. I feel there is only so much I can commit to. Mind you, I probably still have about 100 DVDs stored in the UK somewhere that I actually bought but never got round to watching

Yes, I'm guilty of that too. Like I'm ever going to watch the remastered version of Paths to Glory, or for that matter They Live! Though I have to say I'd be utterly bereft if my John Hughes collection were to be charity shopped. I'd be as mopey as Ducky after he finds out Andi loves Blaine.

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:28 PM
I watched an episode of P&R several months back and it didn't grab me at all. What did I miss?

I will admit that it's one of those where you have to persevere a bit with the first series before it really hits its straps in the second.

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Yes, I'm guilty of that too. Like I'm ever going to watch the remastered version of Paths to Glory, or for that matter They Live! Though I have to say I'd be utterly bereft if my John Hughes collection were to be charity shopped. I'd be as mopey as Ducky after he finds out Andi loves Blaine.

Oooh. Aubrey Plaza. Slightly fell in love with her while watching Parks & Rec as well.

Ash

It is a classic but my advice is: don't bother. It's actually quite painful, stretched out and constantly recycles the same tropes. Samey, in other words. Some great performances but I can't help wondering that the story could probably have been told in a feature fillum, thus saving nearly sixty hours of everyone's life who watched it.

The Jorge

It takes a while for the characters to bed in and for you to find your way with it but after a few episodes you'll get it. Some really nicely developed characters like Ron Swanson, above, April and Tom Haverford. Also, some nice running jokes are funny too.

It's no 30 Rock but it's bloody close.

The Jorge
06-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Oooh. Aubrey Plaza. Slightly fell in love with her while watching Parks & Rec as well.

Yeah, felt a bit shoddy about that buuuuuuut then I found out she's our side of 30 now so all bets are off!

Burney
06-01-2016, 03:35 PM
It is a classic but my advice is: don't bother. It's actually quite painful, stretched out and constantly recycles the same tropes. Samey, in other words. Some great performances but I can't help wondering that the story could probably have been told in a feature fillum, thus saving nearly sixty hours of everyone's life who watched it.

Yeah. Must admit I had to push myself to finish the last series or so.

7sisters
06-02-2016, 11:46 AM

You weren't wrong about the rumpo content.. It made Game of Thrones look like the antiques roadshow..
A decent enough first episode that I chanced upon having watch the last ten minutes of spwingwatch unspwung, where some chap was getting all excited about listening for nightjars in total darkness.

Burney
06-02-2016, 11:48 AM
You weren't wrong about the rumpo content.. It made Game of Thrones look like the antiques roadshow..
A decent enough first episode that I chanced upon having watch the last ten minutes of spwingwatch unspwung, where some chap was getting all excited about listening for nightjars in total darkness.

I'll probably give it a go. It might set the missus off, though. :-(