PDA

View Full Version : Cricket question: I was reading an article about cricket the other day and found

Monty92
06-01-2016, 08:54 AM
myself extremely impressed with the level of insight, as well as the general quality of writing. I then noticed it was written by Mike Atherton, who I know to have once been a distinguished cricketer himself.

Is his stuff ghost written? Is that level of insight the norm among cricket pundits and ex-pros?

7sisters
06-01-2016, 08:58 AM
myself extremely impressed with the level of insight, as well as the general quality of writing. I then noticed it was written by Mike Atherton, who I know to have once been a distinguished cricketer himself.

Is his stuff ghost written? Is that level of insight the norm among cricket pundits and ex-pros?

Cricketers aren't footballers m.

Monty92
06-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Cricketers aren't footballers m.

I think that's a touch harsh. Just as we can be sure there's plenty of gay footballers, we can be equally sure there are plenty who have high levels of insight to offer, if they were given the platform. The difference is the respective audiences of both sports. Football fans do not want insight. I suspect that cricket fans do.

redgunamo
06-01-2016, 09:01 AM

"Athers" nickname as a young player was something along the lines of F****** Educated C***, which should give you an idea of the calibre of man you are dealing with. Grammar school, Cambridge blue and so on. Pretty much our favourite former England captain, despite his team's shortcomings.

As for it being the norm, cricket also has Sir Ian Botham for the more tap room crowd.

Burney

Atherton went to Manchester Grammar and Cambridge. Why would you think he couldn't knock together a decent article - it's hardly neurosurgery

Luis Anaconda

It is generally pretty high and mostly written by the ex-players concerned Atherton is probably the best - a Cambridge graduate as well as a former England captain. Some other excellent writers around as well. You still get the idiots - Ian Botham is almost unlistenable to, but on the whole the knowledge of the players and insight into the game is excellent

Burney
06-01-2016, 09:02 AM
"Athers" nickname as a young player was something along the lines of F****** Educated C***, which should give you an idea of the calibre of man you are dealing with. Grammar school, Cambridge blue and so on. Pretty much our favourite former England captain, despite his team's shortcomings.

Manchester Grammar is called a Grammar, but it is very much public.

Luis Anaconda
06-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Indeed. Used to play cricket at University with a lad who went there. He played in the first team but didn't get much of a bat. Think Atherton and Crawley were the openers at one point during his time there with about three or four other players who went on to play for Lancs

redgunamo
06-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Who even knew they *had* schools in Manchester :shrug:

Burney
06-01-2016, 09:08 AM

I know. I only knew because I went to University with a chap who'd been there. He tried to hide his schooling, but he knew which knife and fork to use, which was a dead giveaway.

redgunamo
06-01-2016, 09:09 AM
I think that's a touch harsh. Just as we can be sure there's plenty of gay footballers, we can be equally sure there are plenty who have high levels of insight to offer, if they were given the platform. The difference is the respective audiences of both sports. Football fans do not want insight. I suspect that cricket fans do.

Nothing to do with the fans really. Football people themselves don't want it; too effeminate. Everyone is much more comfortable with banter.

PSRB
06-01-2016, 09:49 AM

Trafford has some of the best schools in the country :vsign:

redgunamo
06-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Trafford has some of the best schools in the country :vsign:

:hehe: Fairplay!

Ash
06-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Nothing to do with the fans really. Football people themselves don't want it; too effeminate. Everyone is much more comfortable with banter.

Proper Football Men :nod:

http://www.football365.com/news/proper-football-men-can-be-sht-too

http://www.football365.com/news/football-people-on-tv-harry-redknapp

redgunamo
06-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Proper Football Men :nod:

http://www.football365.com/news/proper-football-men-can-be-sht-too

http://www.football365.com/news/football-people-on-tv-harry-redknapp

That's football. It's the same everywhere. Global and a' that.