PDA

View Full Version : People calling for Obama to apologise to the Japanese for Hiroshima is further

Burney
05-27-2016, 10:14 AM
evidence - if it were needed - that the world has gone utterly ****ing mental.

Lest we forget, Japan still hasn't accepted the full shame of its war guilt, let alone owned up to its disgusting behaviour in China.

The idea of any allied nation apologising to those ****ers is simply absurd.

Sir C
05-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Lest we forget, Japan still hasn't accepted the full shame of its war guilt, let alone owned up to its disgusting behaviour in China.

Who said dat den?

****ing eejits.

Burney
05-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Who said dat den?

****ing eejits.

****ers, basically. Here's one of them:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/daniel-philpott-obama-apologize-hiroshima-article-1.2651307

Sir C
05-27-2016, 10:25 AM
****ers, basically. Here's one of them:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/daniel-philpott-obama-apologize-hiroshima-article-1.2651307

Daft *******.

Him, not you.

The Jorge
05-27-2016, 10:28 AM

So, if the Japansers did apologise for the rape of nanking and all the other admittedly pretty heinous stuff they did, would the US be right to apologise for Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the firebombing of Tokyo (which if anything was even more devastating than the nukilar bombs)?

Burney
05-27-2016, 10:30 AM
So, if the Japansers did apologise for the rape of nanking and all the other admittedly pretty heinous stuff they did, would the US be right to apologise for Hiroshima, Nagasaki and the firebombing of Tokyo (which if anything was even more devastating than the nukilar bombs)?

Of course not. The fact that the Japanese haven't accepted their guilt merely serves to render calls for the USA to apologise even more absurd than they already are.

The Jorge
05-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Of course not. The fact that the Japanese haven't accepted their guilt merely serves to render calls for the USA to apologise even more absurd than they already are.

Sorry, this isnt clear, should the Japanese apologise at all? Seems like everyone acted like ****s and could all do with saying "sorry, we were bang out of order" but I realise this is just me being a terrible lefty about the whole business.

redgunamo
05-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Bush would be a different matter entirely, but Obama? Bof.. :shrug:

redgunamo
05-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Sorry, this isnt clear, should the Japanese apologise at all? Seems like everyone acted like ****s and could all do with saying "sorry, we were bang out of order" but I realise this is just me being a terrible lefty about the whole business.

Would you demand, petition for, the Japs to say "sorry"?

Sir C
05-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Everyone acted like ****s? They were all as bad as each other? Moral equivalence?

You're getting worse.

Burney
05-27-2016, 10:41 AM

:sigh: Again with the moral equivalence. :rolleyes:

No, j. Because we were in the right and they were in the wrong. They were the aggressors and it was they, not us, who committed vast atrocities across South East Asia. So for us to say 'Why don't we all just apologise to each other' would suggest that we are all on a level moral playing field. And we're not. Not by a long ****ing chalk.

The Jorge
05-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Right, so they should apologise and we shouldnt because we were right and they were wrong? I'm not really pushing moral equivalence here, I'm just trying to unpick your thinking.

redgunamo
05-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Right, so they should apologise and we shouldnt because we were right and they were wrong? I'm not really pushing moral equivalence here, I'm just trying to unpick your thinking.

O, you mean a "British" apology. Right, carry on.

Burney
05-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Right, so they should apologise and we shouldnt because we were right and they were wrong?

Well actually, no. I don't give a **** for apologies of this sort. They're childish, meaningless and generally a sign of historical illiteracy. I'm simply pointing out that suggesting the US apologise for Hiroshima is particularly absurd in the context of the Japanese not having accepted their full and rightful burden of war guilt.

redgunamo
05-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Well actually, no. I don't give a **** for apologies of this sort. They're childish, meaningless and generally a sign of historical illiteracy. I'm simply pointing out that suggesting the US apologise for Hiroshima is particularly absurd in the context of the Japanese not having accepted their full and rightful burden of war guilt.

No, it would be the kind of thing where you say "It's my fault", but everyone should know you actually mean "It's *your* fault".

English phrase books for foreigners always include this peculiar clause.

The Jorge
05-27-2016, 11:00 AM

So why does whether the Japanese have apologised (or somehow "accept their full and rightful burden of war guilt") or not matter then?

Burney
05-27-2016, 11:08 AM
So why does whether the Japanese have apologised (or somehow "accept their full and rightful burden of war guilt") or not matter then?

Because as things stand, their children since 1945 have not been taught anything about their country's shameful record in World War Two and are taught to regard their country as a victim rather than a perpetrator of WWII, which has seriously affected their international outlook - not least with regard to their relationship with China, which is currently threatening to kick off.

The Jorge
05-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Because as things stand, their children since 1945 have not been taught anything about their country's shameful record in World War Two and are taught to regard their country as a victim rather than a perpetrator of WWII, which has seriously affected their international outlook - not least with regard to their relationship with China, which is currently threatening to kick off.

Whereas our school curriculums are rammed with the stuff we did wrong in our colonial and military past, isnt it?

You seem perfectly happy for us not to recognise anything wrong in our past whilst decrying them for not doing the same.