PDA

View Full Version : I have some lovely Italian sweet sausages for dinner.

Burney
05-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Can anyone think of anything better to do with them than cook them with peppers and onions and pop them on to a piece of griddled ciabatta? It's lovely, but it's what I always end up doing with them. :shrug:

Sir C
05-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Can anyone think of anything better to do with them than cook them with peppers and onions and pop them on to a piece of griddled ciabatta? It's lovely, but it's what I always end up doing with them. :shrug:

Arabs, perhaps? To be honest, I prefer your first idea.

Sir C
05-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Arabs, perhaps? To be honest, I prefer your first idea.

A ragu, is what I typed.

SWv2
05-26-2016, 11:02 AM
A stew of sorts with beans, borlotti or other. Bung in your garlic, rosemary and whatever you have spare to sauce it up a little. Some dried chillies perhaps.

Some red wine, just a splash mind you then you are duty bound to neck the rest.

Then be sure to refer to it as a ‘rustic’ stew, again I think this is mandatory.

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:06 AM
A stew of sorts with beans, borlotti or other. Bung in your garlic, rosemary and whatever you have spare to sauce it up a little. Some dried chillies perhaps.

Then be sure to refer to it as a ‘rustic’ stew, again I think this is mandatory.

It's a nice idea, but might be a touch too hearty. It's actually rather warm here today and beans and stuff might sit on the stomach somewhat. Lovely idea for colder weather, though.

You can tell it's warm as i am forswearing the use of potatoes.

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:07 AM
A ragu, is what I typed.

I was wondering. I don't think the arabs would be keen on pork sausages

The Jorge
05-26-2016, 11:07 AM

I have a chorizo bean stew for later, similar scenario.

MmmmmMmmMmmMmmm that's some good eatin'

SWv2
05-26-2016, 11:09 AM

A culinary staple chez moi. I applaud you.

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:10 AM

Beans. :-\ They always seem like a good plan, but they always end up just feeling like what they are - a means of bulking out proper food.

Pokster
05-26-2016, 11:12 AM
I'm off here tonight for the GLW's birthday http://stockdales-restaurant.com/our-menu/

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:15 AM
I'm off here tonight for the GLW's birthday http://stockdales-restaurant.com/our-menu/

Hmmm. Toss-up between the turbot and the short rib suet pudding for me.

Not that I'm invited, I don't suppose.

7sisters
05-26-2016, 11:15 AM

How about skinning them, then breaking them into small chunks ?
Brown the off in olive oil, sizzle them in a glass of white wine.
Throw in some grain mustard with some chilli flakes and about 200ml of double cream and some torn up basil leaves.

Toss it all together with some penne pasta you knocked up at the same time as browning the swags..

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:17 AM
How about skinning them, then breaking them into small chunks ?
Brown the off in olive oil, sizzle them in a glass of white wine.
Throw in some grain mustard with some chilli flakes and about 200ml of double cream and some torn up basil leaves.

Toss it all together with some penne pasta you knocked up at the same time as browning the swags..

Good shout. I do a similar thing with sausages, porcini, tomatoes, chilli and cream. I tend to use orecchiette, though.

Pokster
05-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Hmmm. Toss-up between the turbot and the short rib suet pudding for me.

Not that I'm invited, I don't suppose.

If you would like to attend you would be most welcome....

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:19 AM
If you would like to attend you would be most welcome....

That's awfully kind of you. And if you're paying I'll start with the lobster thermidor :-D

The Jorge
05-26-2016, 11:23 AM
Beans. :-\ They always seem like a good plan, but they always end up just feeling like what they are - a means of bulking out proper food.

I've come round to the bean, sort of put off of the whole pulse family by the pious ones like lentils and mongs

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:29 AM
I've come round to the bean, sort of put off of the whole pulse family by the pious ones like lentils and mongs

You see I like a lentil. It adds a nice texture to things like soups and curries and a good dhal is a great thing. Not sure about the French green jobs, though.

Don't get me wrong: I like a bean, I just find that they can become wearing in large quantities.

IUFG
05-26-2016, 11:34 AM
:nod: Who can possibly fail to like a dhansak?

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:35 AM
:nod: Who can possibly fail to like a dhansak?

Yeah. I always tell myself I'm not going to have a dhansak whenever we get a takeaway curry, but I always do. The only question is chicken or lamb.

Jake
05-26-2016, 11:54 AM

Shrimp to start, hold the potatoes. Suet pud for main. Dark chocolate parfait to finish.

Job done.

Burney
05-26-2016, 11:55 AM
Shrimp to start, hold the potatoes. Suet pud for main. Dark chocolate parfait to finish.

Job done.

The shrimp do sound yummy. I'd rather have the spuds and skip pud, personally.

Sir C
05-26-2016, 11:58 AM
The shrimp do sound yummy. I'd rather have the spuds and skip pud, personally.

I'm all over the cote de boeuf, personally. And balls to sharing it.

redgunamo
05-26-2016, 12:43 PM
A ragu, is what I typed.

:hehe: That's rather brilliant actually.

The Jorge
05-26-2016, 12:45 PM
A ragu, is what I typed.

Ragu akhbar?

SWv2
05-26-2016, 12:48 PM

Job done.

"hold the potatoes".

Hold the ****ing potatoes. Jesus christ.

The Jorge
05-26-2016, 12:50 PM
"hold the potatoes".

He probably orders stuff by saying "can I get...." and then with no question mark.

Ash
05-26-2016, 02:27 PM
"hold the potatoes".

I might try that at the caff. "Full English, please. Hold the mushrooms."

Jake, what's the poncester way to order an extra egg?

Burney
05-26-2016, 02:29 PM

It's more the business of not having potatoes that upsets me, a. :-(

Why would he do that? Why? :cry:

Jake
05-26-2016, 02:29 PM

"Could I get another poached egg with that as well please. Not on the side, on the plate".

Does the trick.

Burney
05-26-2016, 02:30 PM
"Could I get another poached egg with that as well please. Not on the side, on the plate".

Does the trick.

Seems harder to say than 'double egg', though.

Jake
05-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Seems harder to say than 'double egg', though.

I know you're out of the smoke now b but often, it may shock you to hear, the waiter or waitress in question is a ****ing liability. It's always best to spell things out.