PDA

View Full Version : I may have to go to Abu Dhabi for work.

Pat Vegas
05-24-2016, 12:38 PM
any good? I was told to avoid July as I will die from heat.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Well, it's not Dubai, it has that going for it, at least.

I haven't been for 20 years, but back then, the UAE was a concrete pustule, built and run on the exploitation of slave labour, a pit of avarice where hotels with all the charm and grace of a 5 buck hooker proclaimed themselves '7 star' whilst exhibiting all the class of Las Vegas but without the culture and education.

Perhaps it has improved.

Pat Vegas
05-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Well, it's not Dubai, it has that going for it, at least.

I haven't been for 20 years, but back then, the UAE was a concrete pustule, built and run on the exploitation of slave labour, a pit of avarice where hotels with all the charm and grace of a 5 buck hooker proclaimed themselves '7 star' whilst exhibiting all the class of Las Vegas but without the culture and education.

Perhaps it has improved.

doesn't sound so fun. Though it's mainly to visit with hotels so I will just do that and eat.
My Vienna trip was my favourite one of these trips.

The Jorge
05-24-2016, 12:52 PM
...a concrete pustule, built and run on the exploitation of slave labour, a pit of avarice where hotels with all the charm and grace of a 5 buck hooker proclaimed themselves '7 star' whilst exhibiting all the class of Las Vegas but without the culture and education.

You say that like it's a bad thing

Luis Anaconda
05-24-2016, 12:52 PM
doesn't sound so fun. Though it's mainly to visit with hotels so I will just do that and eat.

Just don't go outside and you'll be fine. Go outside and it will be toast. Easy

Sir C
05-24-2016, 12:54 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing

It's not to my taste. I can't, of course, speak for you.

Pat Vegas
05-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Just don't go outside and you'll be fine. Go outside and it will be toast. Easy

Having to eat toast every time I have to go outside seems a bit excessive. Is it an Allan thing?

The Jorge
05-24-2016, 12:57 PM
It's not to my taste. I can't, of course, speak for you.

I'm sure you can take an educated guess as to what my feelings would be.

That said, I've never been. Though I imagine the Bangladeshi slave labourers are indeed cracking lads.

Sir C

Pfff, it's work, what are you going to do? Work, have a few drinks, sleep. It's fine for all that. Even expat bars can be fun for a (very) brief period.

But it's a ****hole. And if you have to deal with a local... :cry:

Luis Anaconda
Having to eat toast every time I have to go outside seems a bit excessive. Is it an Allan thing?

Yep - no bacon :-(

Pat Vegas
05-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Yep - no bacon :-(

:-( not even a Würstel Box? Best thing I ever had.

Rich
05-24-2016, 12:59 PM

I have been three times to help my Dad out with a few bits. I wouldn't go on holiday there but the hotels are of incredible standard, depending on where you stay.

When I say incredible, I mean unquestionably world class. Greener (artificially so) than Dubai.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm sure you can take an educated guess as to what my feelings would be.

That said, I've never been. Though I imagine the Bangladeshi slave labourers are indeed cracking lads.

The locals are the most repulsive creatures I have ever encountered, Americans notwithstanding.

Mind you, the expats are the kind of Europeans and Australians who choose to live in such an environment. So you can guess what sort of people they are.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 01:01 PM
I have been three times to help my Dad out with a few bits. I wouldn't go on holiday there but the hotels are of incredible standard, depending on where you stay.

When I say incredible, I mean unquestionably world class.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You can take the boy out of South Africa, but you'll never take the ignorance out of the boy.

Pat Vegas
05-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Emirates Palace have invited me. Is that a good won?

The Jorge
05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
The locals are the most repulsive creatures I have ever encountered, Americans notwithstanding.

Mind you, the expats are the kind of Europeans and Australians who choose to live in such an environment. So you can guess what sort of people they are.

Yes, vast inherited wealth and a totally artifical environment will do that to a chap.

See also, Rich

Rich
05-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Emirates Palace have invited me. Is that a good won?

Yes, it's nice. You can pay around £80 extra per head per night and get all of your champagne et al included. Do this or it will cost you significantly more.

Rich
05-24-2016, 01:05 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

You can take the boy out of South Africa, but you'll never take the ignorance out of the boy.

They are not where I would choose to stay. I prefer something more intimate (I note you also stayed at Ceylon Tea Trails - that was charming). But if you want a big, glitzy hotel then they are impeccable.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 01:08 PM
They are not where I would choose to stay. I prefer something more intimate (I note you also stayed at Ceylon Tea Trails - that was charming). But if you want a big, glitzy hotel then they are impeccable.

'Big and glitzy' does not make 'world class'. The decor in those places is vulgar, the service is utterly ****, (usually willing, but untrained), the food is a joke and the management lamentable. They're as genuinely world class as Robbie Savage.

Rich
05-24-2016, 01:11 PM
'Big and glitzy' does not make 'world class'. The decor in those places is vulgar, the service is utterly ****, (usually willing, but untrained), the food is a joke and the management lamentable. They're as genuinely world class as Robbie Savage.

I never made it to the Mandarin Oriental after the good lady started malfunctioning and we had to return home :-( I was very much looking forward to that.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 01:13 PM
I never made it to the Mandarin Oriental after the good lady started malfunctioning and we had to return home :-( I was very much looking forward to that.

Ah, La Grande Dame. When I arrived in January they had allocated me my 'usual room' because I'd mentioned to someone in passing that I really liked the view. :hehe: And they gave me two free dinners and a bottle of champagne for being a regular :cloud9: