PDA

View Full Version : I’m not entirely sure why, but this Saturday I’m going to watch a rugby match

Monty92
05-24-2016, 08:36 AM
at Twickenham.

I believe it’s some kind of Cup Final and a team called “Saracens” are competing.

What can I expect? Will I be welcomed with open arms into the egg chasing fraternity or is everyone gonna tell me I should get a new hobby/deserve cancer the moment I open my pig-ignorant mouth?

Billy Goat Sverige
05-24-2016, 08:39 AM
at Twickenham.

I believe it’s some kind of Cup Final and a team called “Saracens” are competing.

What can I expect? Will I be welcomed with open arms into the egg chasing fraternity or is everyone gonna tell me I should get a new hobby/deserve cancer the moment I open my pig-ignorant mouth?

It's the league final. Saracens will probably win easily.

redgunamo
05-24-2016, 08:40 AM
at Twickenham.

You will be fine. Nowadays the only one who understands the game is the referee.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 08:40 AM
at Twickenham.

As far as one can generalise about these matters, the chaps you will meet at Twickenham will tend to be rather better educated than those attending a football match and a fair proportion of them will actually be gentlemen.

Mostly, of course, they will be pissed, so their behaviour may not be all that one might wish, but you won't find the sort of drooling cretins exposed by Arsenalfantv.

SWv2
05-24-2016, 08:41 AM
You do realise that the entire raison d’etre of attending a rugby match in person is to drink shedloads of beer?

I know and accept you are maybe a 1 pint before a football match type, not that there is anything wrong with that*, but rugby is totally different based on personal experience.

Burney
05-24-2016, 08:42 AM
at Twickenham.

You will be expected to drink more than three or four pints of beer. Ideally, you ought to wear red trousers and Church's brogues.

Monty92
05-24-2016, 08:42 AM
As far as one can generalise about these matters, the chaps you will meet at Twickenham will tend to be rather better educated than those attending a football match and a fair proportion of them will actually be gentlemen.

Mostly, of course, they will be pissed, so their behaviour may not be all that one might wish, but you won't find the sort of drooling cretins exposed by Arsenalfantv.

Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97xJdjRxkYA

Luis Anaconda
05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
at Twickenham.

I normally attend that game every year - missing it this year to see Iggy Pop. Do you want to swap?

Burney
05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
You will be fine. Nowadays the only one who understands the game is the referee.

I gave up on the rules when they started allowing lifting in the lineout and for the scrum half basically to put the ball into the second row.

Luis Anaconda
05-24-2016, 08:44 AM
You will be expected to drink more than three or four pints of beer. Ideally, you ought to wear red trousers and Church's brogues.

I'm sure someone will be able to direct him to the Pimm's Bar, b

The Jorge
at Twickenham.

Braying hoorays, ****s with rugby shirts tucked into their jeans and the sort of people that would buy tickets to a coldplay concert and bring a picnic hamper.

I'm not saying they are any worse than football fans, just a different type of awful.

Sir C
Have you seen this?

:-( Those people... they're just... sub-human. There, I've said it. :-(

Luis Anaconda

You've not see Wayne Barnes referee many matches, have you red?

Burney
I normally attend that game every year - missing it this year to see Iggy Pop. Do you want to swap?

Does Iggy still get his cock out or has he stopped that?

The Jorge
05-24-2016, 08:46 AM

You'd think he'd stop that now, especially as a mark of respect to Dave and Lou.

Is it the Post Pop Depression show, LA? I think some of QotSA are playing in that.

Sir C
I gave up on the rules when they started allowing lifting in the lineout and for the scrum half basically to put the ball into the second row.

I do like it when the ref talks to the crowd, though. That's ever so exciting. Especially the way everyone goes nice and quiet to allow him to speak :hehe:

Luis Anaconda

I've no idea - I really don't want to get close enough to the stage to find out

Burney
05-24-2016, 08:47 AM
:-( Those people... they're just... sub-human. There, I've said it. :-(

I don't bother turning up the sound. I like watching the lead cretin working himself up into a frenzy. If you watch the vein on his forehead, there's a good hope of some sort of fatal apoplexy imo.

Burney
05-24-2016, 08:47 AM
I've no idea - I really don't want to get close enough to the stage to find out

As I recall, you can see Iggy's lad from quite a way back. He's quite gifted in that department.

Burney
05-24-2016, 08:49 AM
I do like it when the ref talks to the crowd, though. That's ever so exciting. Especially the way everyone goes nice and quiet to allow him to speak :hehe:

I do like the way all these big hulking animals basically become schoolboys when the ref talks to them. :hehe:

Sir C
05-24-2016, 08:50 AM
I don't bother turning up the sound. I like watching the lead cretin working himself up into a frenzy. If you watch the vein on his forehead, there's a good hope of some sort of fatal apoplexy imo.

I like to wonder about what these people do in real life. I assume the dreadful shouty man is a cab driver; that much at least is obvious. But the fellow who holds thye microphone, what can he possibly do in the way of paid work? And those gathered around; why, most of them appear to be semi-feral.

They can't all be cab drivers, surely?

SWv2
05-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Have you seen this?

Fast forward to about 6 minutes in

:hehe:

Luis Anaconda
05-24-2016, 08:53 AM
You'd think he'd stop that now, especially as a mark of respect to Dave and Lou.

Is it the Post Pop Depression show, LA? I think some of QotSA are playing in that.

It's part of this
http://www.rockavaria.de

I assume he plays his new stuff

Burney
05-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Fast forward to about 6 minutes in

:hehe:

Even the fella with the microphone whose job it is to wind up the mongs starts to look a bit worried about him at that point. :hehe:

redgunamo
05-24-2016, 08:57 AM
I like to wonder about what these people do in real life. I assume the dreadful shouty man is a cab driver; that much at least is obvious. But the fellow who holds thye microphone, what can he possibly do in the way of paid work? And those gathered around; why, most of them appear to be semi-feral.

They can't all be cab drivers, surely?

It's the Emirates, C. Not Glyndebourne.

SWv2
05-24-2016, 08:59 AM
It's part of this
http://www.rockavaria.de

I assume he plays his new stuff

Jesus ****ing wept.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 09:00 AM
It's the Emirates, C. Not Glyndebourne.

I am aware of that, r. I am interested from an anthropological, or possibly zoological, point of view.

Consider the lack of higher brain function amongst these specimens, and ask yourself how they feed themselves.

redgunamo
05-24-2016, 09:02 AM
I am aware of that, r. I am interested from an anthropological, or possibly zoological, point of view.

Consider the lack of higher brain function amongst these specimens, and ask yourself how they feed themselves.

It's perfectly normal for chaps to behave that way at the football. In fact, it's likely the whole point of going.

Surely you are aware of all this by now.

Burney
05-24-2016, 09:03 AM

I've seen them eating. They buy things that smell of old organs and onions and cram them into their faces. They then speak all the while they are chewing. It's quite repellent.

Luis Anaconda
05-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Jesus ****ing wept.

I may have been a tad drunk when I agreed to go - I mean who goes out and buys the tickets straight away after a night out ffs

redgunamo
05-24-2016, 09:10 AM
I've seen them eating. They buy things that smell of old organs and onions and cram them into their faces. They then speak all the while they are chewing. It's quite repellent.

It's the same story at the opera, I'm afraid to say. I gather table manners are no longer widely taught to the young. Or even more sadly, demonstrated to them.

I blame Ronald McDonald.

SWv2
05-24-2016, 09:11 AM
I may have been a tad drunk when I agreed to go - I mean who goes out and buys the tickets straight away after a night out ffs

It never would have occurred to me that at any time you would have been sober.

A German rock festival is quite the daunting scenario all the same, huge swathes of mullets and sleeveless double denim combinations.

Scorpions x 10,000.

Burney
05-24-2016, 09:12 AM
It's the same story at the opera, I'm afraid to say. I gather table manners are no longer widely taught to the young. Or even more sadly, demonstrated to them.

I blame Ronald McDonald.

The problem is that it's now become not merely acceptable, but trendy to eat in the street with one's hands. At school, we would be given a Saturday morning detention if spotted eating in the street in uniform. Second offence and it was a suspension job.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 09:13 AM
The problem is that it's now become not merely acceptable, but trendy to eat in the street with one's hands. At school, we would be given a Saturday morning detention if spotted eating in the street in uniform. Second offence and it was a suspension job.

I was beaten once for drinking Coke at a bus stop whilst in uniform.

"You were seen swilling from a can!" he said :-(

Burney
05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
I was beaten once for drinking Coke at a bus stop whilst in uniform.

"You were seen swilling from a can!" he said :-(

Proper order imo. Made you the man you are today...the one who swills cider from a plastic jug in the street and urinates on roundabouts. :-(

redgunamo
05-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Absolutely.

Sir C
05-24-2016, 09:18 AM
Proper order imo. Made you the man you are today...the one who swills cider from a plastic jug in the street and urinates on roundabouts. :-(

I have given up such behaviour. I am a new man.

Yesterday I ran 3 miles, ate 1,400 calories and drank half a bottle of wine :-(

SWv2
05-24-2016, 09:26 AM

Street food.

A new phenomenon I believe among London types, or perhaps moreso a label being used by media to attempt and create a new phenomenon among London types.

Of course there is always mugs who fall for this ****.

I expect Monty is a fan.

Brentwood
05-24-2016, 09:27 AM
Even the fella with the microphone whose job it is to wind up the mongs starts to look a bit worried about him at that point. :hehe:

He has a successful career as an actor, having played Idi Amin in the King of Scotland

redgunamo
05-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Street food.

A new phenomenon I believe among London types, or perhaps moreso a label being used by media to attempt and create a new phenomenon among London types.

Of course there is always mugs who fall for this ****.

I expect Monty is a fan.

Foreigners are all over it. If you were quietly, gently raised, it gives you quite a start the first time you notice suave, well-dressed folk of any ages, loosing off burgers and sausages and wine and whatnot down the hatch while flâneuring about the town.